I need opinions for a Private Stock I'm doing

south89

So I am getting ready to make a road trip to spec out my first private stock and I'm having a hard time deciding on a couple things. Let me give you a quick rundown on what I'm thinking. I am for the most part a hard rock/metal:rock: kind of a guy but I appreciate alot of differant music which is why my #1 is my PTC modded Siggy. I am going with a 24 fret guitar with either a 2 piece bridge or maybe the one piece bridge like on Paul's guitar. The neck is gonna be crackwood of course with a McCarty body and Siggy switching. Where I am getting hung up on is to go with 408's or 59/09's. With the 59/09 I could always swap out the pickups if I want to try something else but I know I like the 408's because I have them in 2 other guitars. I don't have a guitar that has 59/09's in them but I understand that they are a very good pickup but not sure if they are close or in the same realm as the 408's.

Then my other decision is the color scheme. I have narrowed it down to 3 differant options. I have always loved the look of the slate on the ME1 in the satin finish but I was thinking of putting my own twist on that with some kind of a smokeburst. Second is the Zombie fade that Brian @ Brian's guitars did ( kinda fitting seeing as how that's who I'm doing this with ). Then the 3rd is the FROSTBITE finish.

I figured where better to go to look for help than from my friends here on the forum. So let's hear it . Give me your thoughts.

I absolutely love the 59/09's in my Custom 24. I like them much more than the 408's for rock/metal. Zombie Fade is kickass! Just my 2 cents.

I'm hankering after a PS with three 408 Narrow pickups (probably overwind the bridge) and 5-way switching for Bridge Humbucker / Bridge Humbucker + Middle Single Coil / Middle Humbucker / Middle Single Coil + Neck Single Coil / Neck Humbucker settings ... but maybe that's just me ... :)

Colour wise, I've seen some Copper / Copper Burst finishes recently which look killer: I reckon a satin nitro Copper Smoke Burst would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Not to throw a relative noob wrench into your plans, but if this guitar is intended for a rock/metal thing, what about the Tremonti pup set? Since, you know, he rocks the metal sound with those on a regular basis?

If I already had two with 408s, I would definitely go with the 59/09. I think I've always put a pickup I didn't have yet in a PS build.

For top colour: all of your choices are excellent. Today I would probaly go frostbite, because it is a cool effect. But it is close enough tomorrow I might do slate with a burst.

It's all about what you want but here's my opinion.

Paul's Guitar bridge.

If 408's are your magic get them, else I'd try something new.

The finishes are what scream Private Stock to me so I wouldn't get a finish available on a production model so that covers Slate. Zombie Fade just doesn't do it for me. Frostbite is pretty cool and has my vote of the three. Once you get to the vault you will see some stuff that might change your mind about color. :biggrin:

Agreed with jfb, as of course it's going to be what you want, but here are my thoughts.

I vote for the 2-piece bridge. That's been my favorite since its release.

I say go for the 59/09 pickups. You already have the siggy with the 408 pickups, and the 59/09's are always interchangeable to something else.

Man you can go wild with the finishes, but out of the three you chose I like Frostbite. It has always been one of my favorites. With a slight burst added it can really be SICK!!!!

7985351333_e65d6e957c_b.jpg

I'd stick with the 408s, if you use single coil mode and love the no volume drop, you might miss it too much on that guitar. I think it will sound different enough with the crack wood neck and different bridge. Get 2 x wide ones just to be different haha

As for the finish, did you see the charcoalish with green/purple from last weeks Private Stock Friday? I think jfb called it Olive but it looks different to the Olive's I googled. That finish is way sick.

Thanks everyone for the help and opinions. I think I have narrowed the finish down to frostbite and some version of a Slate ( I found some pics of differant versions that are pretty cool) and of course the Frostbite. But like jfb says who knows what will happen when I get there and see differant things. I think I'm going with the 59/09 too. I don't go till monday so if anybody else wants to weigh in please do.

Thanks everyone for the help and opinions. I think I have narrowed the finish down to frostbite and some version of a Slate ( I found some pics of differant versions that are pretty cool) and of course the Frostbite. But like jfb says who knows what will happen when I get there and see differant things. I think I'm going with the 59/09 too. I don't go till monday so if anybody else wants to weigh in please do.

You have a couple of days then. May the force be with you.

Not to throw a relative noob wrench into your plans, but if this guitar is intended for a rock/metal thing, what about the Tremonti pup set? Since, you know, he rocks the metal sound with those on a regular basis?

So true....my Tremonti is my go to PRS for heavier stuff..

Lots of new ideas for you over at the Private Stock Friday thread. Shawn just delivered in a big way.

Good choices. Relax until Monday and let the wood talk to you.
Have a great time.

Back