I need a Gigging guitar I can beat the hell out of!

I'd look for a used S2. They're probably a bit out of your listed budget. I'm biased towards the S2 line because out of all my PRS, I think my Vela may play the best and it only cost 25% of what I spent on the other two.

In your price range, the world is full of used SE models. There's no reason you can't find a used SE to meet your needs.

If the Strat felt cheap another option is to look for a used Tele. You should be able to find a good MIM Telecaster in that price range, and the Tele will have a more substantial feel than the Strat.

If you don't care too much about looks SE standards can be had all day long pretty cheap. Dave's usually has a few they have a fixed price for used SEs so if they have them you know exactly what you'll pay. I started my PRS adventure with a standard and it was great, the only reason I went to the SE custom was a great price and a pretty top. To me the playability and sound was pretty much the same.

I've gigged an Artist package Cu24. No one says she can't get in a bar fight just because she's wearing pearls.
Hey! I had a gig with a bar fight but Mr. Clean was never in danger since the fight went outside. Now, we didn’t go inside for about an hour since all of the entertainment was outside, but we counted 23 police and 4 EMTs, so we couldn’t compete with that kind of excitement. After that craziness, most of the clientele left because of the police presence:rolleyes:, so we finished the set to the management and the 6 drunks that never left the bar to begin with.

Hmmmm....$450 will certainly get you a beater, but you won't get much more than an SE. As others have mentioned, the Bernie Marsden and Zach Meyers are some of the best SE's out there that can be had (though you'll have to do some searching) for that price.

My two cents....gig your current lineup. They're meant to be played and will, without a doubt, provide you with the best tools at your disposal to create your music.

I've been gigging my Core model guitars since acquiring them - provided, of course, they fit the music I'm playing (my Hollowbody doesn't get gigged much because my other guitars suit the music we play better).

As was once pointed out to me, if you’re not playing your best guitar, you’re just saving it for the next guy.

I've been the next guy twice and I am very grateful to the custodians who cared for my nearly new guitars before I put them to full & proper use.

I agree that guitars are built to be used.

The only instrument I have as wall decor is an ancient mandriola (12 string mandolin) that is unplayable due to age and warping.
New instruments are all the better after they've worked for their keep a bit.

for $450? where at?

It does happen. Another story from an old guy.

About 2009 I found a 1st year (88) CE24 (Alder body!) on Craigslist for $550. The guy had tried to replace the switch and all he knew was that he couldn't get it to sound right afterwards. He had taken it to guitar techs and they all said it was wired correctly. I told him I'd take it anyway at that price. I got it home and tried to play it. It sounded like there was a wah pedal in the guitar. It was nuts. I looked at the wiring. He had wired it correctly - if you have pickups that don't have the bridge pickup magnet flipped. I put the black wire where the white one was and the white one where the black one was and "bingo" normal operation. Took about 10 minutes to diagnose and fix.

I have since found an original switch and put it in so that I can get the split pickups in the middle position as was the original wiring. It's a fabulous guitar. The 489th CE ever made for $550. Too bad folks don't know the bridge magnet is flipped.
lwA9mrM.jpg

Being that you're obviously a PRS fan I won't even bother with other brands. Either get an SE standard or a used SE custom 22. I understand that you want to protect your guitars, I'm the same way. S2's are still not cheap for the average person. However, if it was me, I'd choose one of them to be the designed beater and just make peace with that fact. It might even gain that relic mojo.

Reactions: jxe
Back