I need a Gigging guitar I can beat the hell out of!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Russ73, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Russ73

Russ73 New Member

I have my 3 S2s and a Core, all 22 fret models and Im looking for a guitar I can carry in and out of the clubs around NY and occasionally on a plane to Vegas, used is probably the best bet...any suggestions on what and where to grab what Im looking for....Ive recently bought and returned a Squier HSS strat and Im not a strat guy and I checked out the new 2020 Epis today they felt cheap to me....all recommendations welcome! Budget 450!

2. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

Why not gig one of your S2? Or get an SE you like. I gigged an SE Navarro for a while. The Meyers and Bernies are great SE models as well.

3. Malloc

Malloc New Member

And here I am considering buying an S2 for just such a purpose...

4. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

I would love a used SE Paul’s Guitar for that purpose myself!

5. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I’m with Elvis, Bernie’s rule!

6. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

There's tons of used SE's around in that price point...I'd go with a Bernie or an SE Custom 22...

7. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

I gigged the crap out of every one of my PRSi...Core, S2, and SEs. The Custom 24 suffered the most damage but survived, and the others barely received a scratch. If you’re never throwing it in a trailer or checked luggage at the airport, grab your fav, use a great gig bag, and don’t look back. My DGT, SE245, SE One, and Cu24 got the most use and all served well.

8. Outlier22

Outlier22 New Member

I only have one PRS (CE) and I just gig with that. I think if I were you, I would just gig one of the S2s.

dogrocketp likes this.
  9. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

Sounds like you're already rolling four deep, my man.

10. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I've gigged an Artist package Cu24. No one says she can't get in a bar fight just because she's wearing pearls.

#10 AP515, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  11. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

How about a used SE Zach Myers? Semi-hollow, so a bit lighter. Shortest scale, 22 frets means minimum total length. Put covers on the stock pups to tame the edge if that is more your style.

dogrocketp likes this.
  12. RickP

RickP One Guitar Short...

I am all in with @Boogie here. Your guitar is your voice, don’t go cheap. Take your best sounding, best playing guitar and go kick some ass with it.

13. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

I usually travel with my SAS or 25th HB piezo.
    Both have good range and I gave up on playing a ‘lesser’ guitar for fear of hurting it. They are tougher than I am.

14. Tim S

Tim S King of the barre chord

Or you could pick up an off-the-shelf Fender, play it for years while beating the hell out of it. Then sell it as an authentic relic and make a profit. :p

15. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

I’m getting every dollars worth of depreciation out of my nicest guitars by gigging and living with them. I don’t wanna play a sh!ttier guitar out of fear anymore (not that I ever really did), my fanciest guitar lives in a gig bag and gets used and abused the most.

Life is short.

16. Tim S

Tim S King of the barre chord

As was once pointed out to me, if you’re not playing your best guitar, you’re just saving it for the next guy.

17. GADonis

GADonis New Member

I try to keep the mindset that guitars are tools. So, use the best tool for the job. In my opinion looking at a guitar as an "investment" that must have its value protected isn't really viable for "everyday" guitars. And yes, I consider most PRSi as "everyday" guitars. Very expensive ones in some instances but still they were made to do a job. Maybe this doesn't apply to WL or PS guitars and other high end guitars.

I've gigged my 594 in the past and I hope to do so in the future. It's a great guitar, why wouldn't I want to use it when a great guitar will be the most benefit for me (and hopefully the audience)?

I don't have an S2 but I would expect that absent purposeful abuse and neglect they should hold up very well to "normal" wear and tear with proper maintenance. I think that was the whole purpose of the S2 line in the first place? Reasonably priced, quality instruments for working musicians.

Of course I most definitely do not have a collector's mindset when it comes to "stuff." Play that expensive guitar, drive that expensive car. That is why they were created.

Alnus Rubra, dogrocketp and RickP like this.
  18. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay!

$450 limits your options.... search the used market for something you like...

19. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

thought this was going to be about needing less than 22 frets.

20. markd21

markd21 New Member

Among the others here, I have gigged my Artist Package, Wood Library, 10-top, Core, S2, and SE guitars joyfully. Whatever is going to the gig gets plopped into an S2 gig bag, tossed on the backseat, and used for the night. I do rotate guitars, and rarely play the same one two shows in a row unless I am traveling. Play what you have, enjoy them and don't fear.