I need a Gigging guitar I can beat the hell out of!

Russ73

I have my 3 S2s and a Core, all 22 fret models and Im looking for a guitar I can carry in and out of the clubs around NY and occasionally on a plane to Vegas, used is probably the best bet...any suggestions on what and where to grab what Im looking for....Ive recently bought and returned a Squier HSS strat and Im not a strat guy and I checked out the new 2020 Epis today they felt cheap to me....all recommendations welcome! Budget 450!

I gigged the crap out of every one of my PRSi...Core, S2, and SEs. The Custom 24 suffered the most damage but survived, and the others barely received a scratch. If you’re never throwing it in a trailer or checked luggage at the airport, grab your fav, use a great gig bag, and don’t look back. My DGT, SE245, SE One, and Cu24 got the most use and all served well.

I only have one PRS (CE) and I just gig with that. I think if I were you, I would just gig one of the S2s.

How about a used SE Zach Myers? Semi-hollow, so a bit lighter. Shortest scale, 22 frets means minimum total length. Put covers on the stock pups to tame the edge if that is more your style.

I gigged the crap out of every one of my PRSi...Core, S2, and SEs. The Custom 24 suffered the most damage but survived, and the others barely received a scratch. If you’re never throwing it in a trailer or checked luggage at the airport, grab your fav, use a great gig bag, and don’t look back. My DGT, SE245, SE One, and Cu24 got the most use and all served well.
I am all in with @Boogie here. Your guitar is your voice, don’t go cheap. Take your best sounding, best playing guitar and go kick some ass with it.

I’m getting every dollars worth of depreciation out of my nicest guitars by gigging and living with them. I don’t wanna play a sh!ttier guitar out of fear anymore (not that I ever really did), my fanciest guitar lives in a gig bag and gets used and abused the most.

Life is short.

I try to keep the mindset that guitars are tools. So, use the best tool for the job. In my opinion looking at a guitar as an "investment" that must have its value protected isn't really viable for "everyday" guitars. And yes, I consider most PRSi as "everyday" guitars. Very expensive ones in some instances but still they were made to do a job. Maybe this doesn't apply to WL or PS guitars and other high end guitars.

I've gigged my 594 in the past and I hope to do so in the future. It's a great guitar, why wouldn't I want to use it when a great guitar will be the most benefit for me (and hopefully the audience)?

I don't have an S2 but I would expect that absent purposeful abuse and neglect they should hold up very well to "normal" wear and tear with proper maintenance. I think that was the whole purpose of the S2 line in the first place? Reasonably priced, quality instruments for working musicians.

Of course I most definitely do not have a collector's mindset when it comes to "stuff." Play that expensive guitar, drive that expensive car. That is why they were created.

Among the others here, I have gigged my Artist Package, Wood Library, 10-top, Core, S2, and SE guitars joyfully. Whatever is going to the gig gets plopped into an S2 gig bag, tossed on the backseat, and used for the night. I do rotate guitars, and rarely play the same one two shows in a row unless I am traveling. Play what you have, enjoy them and don't fear.

Back