I Made it A Whole Year

I think it is my duty to tell you that I felt the same way about my early 2017 SC594s neck for about 3 years . And now I love it. I was a Les Paul guy as well as my moniker would indicate.

Yours looks like a really good example. Don't let go of it unless you really need the cash to swing the birth year guitar purchase...you might regret it one day and it will be impossible to replace

I agree with you that this one is a really unique one that would be difficult to get again, it has the craziest flamed neck I’ve ever seen and an African Blackwood fretboard. Also the more I think about moving my reclaimed CE24 the less I think it’s worth it. I’m at a point where I love all my guitars and I can’t choose one to move, not a bad place to be!
dGRxwIz_d.webp

EHDio1C_d.webp

Last edited:
You’ll get old and appreciate a Regular/Standard neck profile. It’s like reading glasses, all of the sudden one day you can’t live without them.

I'm 53 and I approve this message. It's the perfect neck profile. Of course, it was also my favorite neck profile when I got my first PRS in the mid-90s, and I was still in my 20s :D

I agree with you that this one is a really unique one that would be difficult to get again, it has the craziest flamed neck I’ve ever seen and an African Blackwood fretboard. Also the more I think about moving my reclaimed CE24 the less I think it’s worth it. I’m at a point where I love all my guitars and I can’t choose one to move, not a bad place to be!
dGRxwIz_d.webp

EHDio1C_d.webp

This is singlehandedly the most gorgeous core 594 I have seen (For my taste, it looks even better than my burnt maple leaf one). Do not get rid of it!!The Reclaimed is a keeper too. I have one as well.

I agree with Sergio:
The VY is killer! But a Wide Thin carve would make it a no fly zone for me.

As I’ve aged, my neck carve preference has been bigger. I used to love Pattern Regular/ Standard carve, but lately I have far less discomfort with Pattern and vastly prefer Pattern Vintage. Even the old Wide Fat feels a bit too thin versus today’s Pattern carve. This creates a dilemma for me, as my best sounding guitar with the Pernie neck is Pattern Regular. I keep debating about selling it but trying to replace with another guitar with a pernie neck is currently impossible financially for me.

You already have a couple of killer C24s, so adding a third at the cost of that stunning 594 seems a bit too high of a price to me. I made the mistake of over-trading in the past and I still regret it. Mostly because I’m no longer able to buy a new guitar :p

Either will be a fine guitar.
I would be torn between the vintage yellow (love the colour) 10 top, and the signature switching.
My friend has a trick for these coin toss situations: toss the coin and see how disappointed you are with what the coin chooses. It’s a good way to separate your emotional truth from what you might rationalize.
Great strategy! And potentially far less expensive to execute :)

Great advice from everyone here! I think I’m going to hold off on moving anything and keep trying to work with the 594. I’ve been playing my SSH a lot recently and the pattern neck is really growing on me. Maybe you guys are right and I’ll start preferring bigger necks, making the 594 perfect!

Great advice from everyone here! I think I’m going to hold off on moving anything and keep trying to work with the 594. I’ve been playing my SSH a lot recently and the pattern neck is really growing on me. Maybe you guys are right and I’ll start preferring bigger necks, making the 594 perfect!

I had already set aside time to call your wife. So, if there's anything else you need me to cover with her, might as well get it over with now to get the new year off to a good start.

I made the mistake of over-trading in the past and I still regret it.

I've done the same thing.

The counterpoint is that I like to get one of PRS' new models every now and then, without having a load of guitars cluttering up the studio, my life, etc. So I wind up selling or trading in guitars I like, to get whatever interests me, kind of a one-in, one-out approach. Sometimes it works, sometimes I wind up missing the one I moved so much, I get another one of the same model. And something else goes.

Rinse, repeat.

"You could just add one more, and learn to live with it."

"That's kind of a slippery slope."

Back