I keep going to buy a Custom 24 and I keep leaving with something different...

Well, at least I'm getting closer.

IMG_5462%201.jpg

IMG_5454%202.jpg

Nice! Maybe you should go in for something else, and come out with a Cu24?

I think I'm done for now. I had specific goals in mind when I decided to make the switch from Gibson to PRS. I'm also running out of excess gear to sell off, so future purchases will have to be paid in full.

I'll try to post a write up later today. I've put the guitar through it's paces a couple times but we're still getting to know each other. Initial impressions are that I like it a lot. More to follow...

So... the guitar is really cool. The entire reason I wanted a PRS so many moons ago was because I played a Les Paul and I wanted something that totally contrasted it. A guitar with 24 frets, a trem and hot pickups seemed like a good contrast. Instead, I wound up with a McCarty and a P245.

Anyway... I originally went out to check out an SE Custom 24. What I wanted was either a Core or CE, but what I could afford is an SE. I wound up with the Standard Satin because at it's price point its a no-brainer. For not much more $$ than an SE you get what is (IMO) a much nicer neck with much bigger fretwire. Add in the locking tuners, nut, pots and output jack and it's and even better deal.

The finish is awesome. It's like a giant f-you to everyone who's said PRS are too pretty. I'm also looking forward to seeing people post pics of these in a few years as the finish gets worn down and chipped as people play them. The vintage mahogany finish is killer; I almost left with a Standard 22 because of it.... but, I was after a Custom 24 and the only Standard 24 they had was Charcoal.

The guitar itself sounds great. I wasn't sure what to expect out of the HFS. The way some people describe it it's the worst pickup ever created with an extreme EQ that will destroy your eardrums, but now that I've used it I think it's a really good rock pickup that's not all that over the top. More midrange and nowhere near as bright as my 58/15s, it produces aggressive crunch without being too over the top. It still cleans up well, and although not as scooped or as sweet sounding as the 58/15s it's much clearer, maintains better definition and produces some pretty cool harmonics.

On the topic of harmonics. I've been playing tune-o-metic/stoptail guitars for a long time now, so having the trem springs interact and feed back into the strings is pretty cool. I keep getting a unique note blossom. I read somewhere on this forum that David Grissom said something along the lines of trem guitars sound more lively than hard tail. I didn't really understand that comment until now.

My only real complaint is that I think the switch position is stupid. They put it on the opposite side of the trem bar from where you strum, and right where the trem bar typically sits when you push it out of the way. That said, it's in basically the same spot as the Core guitars, and I assume they field tested that spot before committing to it... so I'm open to the idea that maybe it's me that's stupid in time I'll come to understand why they put the switch in that spot instead of where they put it on a McCarty.

So... the guitar is really cool. The entire reason I wanted a PRS so many moons ago was because I played a Les Paul and I wanted something that totally contrasted it. A guitar with 24 frets, a trem and hot pickups seemed like a good contrast. Instead, I wound up with a McCarty and a P245.

Anyway... I originally went out to check out an SE Custom 24. What I wanted was either a Core or CE, but what I could afford is an SE. I wound up with the Standard Satin because at it's price point its a no-brainer. For not much more $$ than an SE you get what is (IMO) a much nicer neck with much bigger fretwire. Add in the locking tuners, nut, pots and output jack and it's and even better deal.

The finish is awesome. It's like a giant f-you to everyone who's said PRS are too pretty. I'm also looking forward to seeing people post pics of these in a few years as the finish gets worn down and chipped as people play them. The vintage mahogany finish is killer; I almost left with a Standard 22 because of it.... but, I was after a Custom 24 and the only Standard 24 they had was Charcoal.

The guitar itself sounds great. I wasn't sure what to expect out of the HFS. The way some people describe it it's the worst pickup ever created with an extreme EQ that will destroy your eardrums, but now that I've used it I think it's a really good rock pickup that's not all that over the top. More midrange and nowhere near as bright as my 58/15s, it produces aggressive crunch without being too over the top. It still cleans up well, and although not as scooped or as sweet sounding as the 58/15s it's much clearer, maintains better definition and produces some pretty cool harmonics.

On the topic of harmonics. I've been playing tune-o-metic/stoptail guitars for a long time now, so having the trem springs interact and feed back into the strings is pretty cool. I keep getting a unique note blossom. I read somewhere on this forum that David Grissom said something along the lines of trem guitars sound more lively than hard tail. I didn't really understand that comment until now.

My only real complaint is that I think the switch position is stupid. They put it on the opposite side of the trem bar from where you strum, and right where the trem bar typically sits when you push it out of the way. That said, it's in basically the same spot as the Core guitars, and I assume they field tested that spot before committing to it... so I'm open to the idea that maybe it's me that's stupid in time I'll come to understand why they put the switch in that spot instead of where they put it on a McCarty.

Great write up!

I find it very easy to change the sound of the guitar for a solo because of where they put the switch. YMMV.

Preach! I bought a trem equipped guitar with the blade there and it has killed nearly all my GAS for the new instruments. :(

Exactly why I don't care for these models. I don't want a new model with one. I figured out the awesomeness that is the rotary and can now switch with ease. The three way with the push-pull doesn't interest me much but it is better than the blade IMHO.

Back