I Just Sold My 38-Year Old Boogie....

MDT/Paul's/HDXA(never played a company amp). If I can't get what I want, I'm going Two-Rock.

Hmmmmm?

I'm holding out selling my MKIIC+ combos and MKIIC plus head.

I'm waiting to see what Gibson does with the brand.

If they poop the bed with the newer Gibson/Boogie's, I'm going to put mine up for sale for big $$$$$$$$$

They'll be the "Holy Grail", pre-Gibson Boogies.

Here's a pic of my Pre-Gibson "Holy Grail" Boogie amps.

25593799376_03e394521c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmmm?

I waiting to see what Gibson does with the brand.

If they poop the bed with the newer Gibson/Boogie's, I'm going to put mine up for sale for big $$$$$$$$$

I predict that even if Gibson somehow manages to keep the Mesa running properly, there will be a number of people that will happily pay for "pre-Gibson" once Randall has been gone for a while. Heck, even if Gibson somehow miraculously improves the brand, there's a subset who will still insist on pre-Gibson.

I predict that even if Gibson somehow manages to keep the Mesa running properly, there will be a number of people that will happily pay for "pre-Gibson" once Randall has been gone for a while. Heck, even if Gibson somehow miraculously improves the brand, there's a subset who will still insist on pre-Gibson.
I have to agree. I bought my first Mesa when it was just Randall, Rayven, Mike, and Doug out there. There’s always been a bit of Cali Cool and mystique around the brand, and it felt like family owning one in the days you could only buy them direct from Boogie. Obviously they got a lot bigger over the years. Oddly, Gibson buying them out now feels a lot like Norlin buying Gibson back when!

To the OP, there are several of the CAD series amps online; you just have to wait and watch for a deal on one you like. You might add a DG30 or 50 to your list. It’s still on mine!

Last edited:
If you seek out an HXDA, they come up from time to time, and there's a persistent rumor they'll be making a new version of it. It's well worth finding one. Chicago Music Exchange's website says they still have a new one, and I see that used ones are actually selling for more!

The DG30 is a phenomenal amp, but of course, it's a lower-gain creature. I have both, and love them.

Oddly, Gibson buying them out now feels a lot like Norlin buying Gibson back when!

Nothing like that. Norlin was a beer making company. Here its just big guitar gear company buys another big guitar gear company.

Still my pre-gibson Boogie became a notch cooler, lol

Hmmmmm?

I'm waiting to see what Gibson does with the brand.

I'm more of an acoustic guy now and the amp was too heavy at my age.

Back