I just picked up an SE Santana, want to make it a hardtail...

CYGuitar

Have any of you done this? Which method did you use, Tremel-No or wood blocks on both sides? I am a hardtail guy. My #1 is a Gibby SG. I love the access to the upper frets. I want a Mira, but couldn't afford one right now. This is the closest I could get, with a similar body shape.

Congrats on the Santana. If I were going to do it, I'd go wood blocks. Good enough for Clapton!
Yes, many say the Tremel-no is good, but a buddy of mine had fits with his. I did hear later there was a bad run and that there is a particular setup trick or something that makes them work better, but his issues scared me off them. If I knew I’d never want to use it EVER, I’d go wood blocks.

I just hardtailed my 2017 SE CU 22 using wood on both sides of the trem block. Works great and cost me nothing.

Have any of you done this? Which method did you use, Tremel-No or wood blocks on both sides? I am a hardtail guy. My #1 is a Gibby SG. I love the access to the upper frets. I want a Mira, but couldn't afford one right now. This is the closest I could get, with a similar body shape.

This is what I did on my SE CU24:

It's quick and easy. I found I only needed to block the trem in the down direction to solve the tuning issues I was experiencing.

This is what I did on my SE CU24:

It's quick and easy. I found I only needed to block the trem in the down direction to solve the tuning issues I was experiencing.

I saw this video before. I am not crazy about using cork. It compresses too easy. I think I will use hard wood or the coin trick. Thanks.

Back