I Found Two Mice In My Fort - The Rehabilitation Starts Now

jfb

Plank Owner
Found two babyish mice in my fort. Unfortunately one of them was already awaiting a send off to the other side. I gave the little one a proper viking burial in the backyard. The other I am trying to nurse back to health. We are looking rough, but I am hopeful.

Need to get some of those humane traps now to see if there's more. No way they'll survive in my basement fort.

One of my best friends and fellow studio owners came home from vacation and discovered that mice were eating the insulation on his cabling, getting inside his gear, and eating the insulation on the wire inside the gear. Everything had to be re-wired, and that gets costly.

Cost him well over ten grand to have a studio tech replace the damaged cables and fix what they ruined.

Your fort is better off without the mice.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;155907 said:
Was you're better half the skilled archer with the burning arrow?

She was indeed. May Flim and Flam find their way to the Lady's field.

No mice here - but my wife discovered baby rabbits in the front yard. The mother had dug a hole by the sidewalk for herself and one for the babies about three feet away.

Did I mention we have a dog? That sits on the front porch a lot? This rabbit dropped her babies well within the dog zone. Lucky for them the dog is terrified of anything that moves.

But I did go out and buy tomato cages - both to keep any delivery guys from stepping in the hole and to keep the dog away from the babies.

Mama moved out of her hole about two-three days after we discovered them (and that hole got filled right after), but the babies didn't leave until a couple days ago. It was kind of cool watching them grow from little pink balls of not much into little furry balls with no real fear of humans to actual rabbits with rabbit sense. On one of the first days out of the hole, I could hear the dog barking, then this high-pitched wailing - turns out the dog scared one and it ran screaming across the steps. About three days later, the frigging dog walked past one of the babies. At least three times. We're talking less than a foot away. That dog would not survive in the wild, not at all.

Found two babyish mice in my fort. Unfortunately one of them was already awaiting a send off to the other side. I gave the little one a proper viking burial in the backyard. The other I am trying to nurse back to health. We are looking rough, but I am hopeful.

Need to get some of those humane traps now to see if there's more. No way they'll survive in my basement fort.

I'm surpised your cat didn't find them first. My cat is so desperate to hunt something, he walks around with Nerf darts in his mouth and drops them at my feet as if he's just slayed the Nerf Dragon.

There's always a mouse in my "fort". But my "fort" is mostly software emulation, virtual towers, etc. :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surpised your cat didn't find them first. My cat is so desperate to hunt something, he walks around with Nerf darts in his mouth and drops them at my feet as if he's just slayed the Nerf Dragon.

Our 3 knuckleheads aren't really allowed in the basement, but do occasionally get some time down there if accompanied by myself or the wife. I wouldn't be surprised if Olivia had a hand in them being "found", but at this point I am not sure.

We had a mouse in our garage, but before I could catch him (or her) it was gone... and then about two months later it was found in the bottom of a rarely used trash can. I can only imagine falling into something like that (proportionately sized of course) and then dying of thirst. It's a horrible way to go.

Caught a King Snake (on pixels...)cruising through the back yard yesterday whilst I was taking pix of some PRS guitars...

9035.jpg

...they eat mice... ;)

We had a mouse in our garage, but before I could catch him (or her) it was gone... and then about two months later it was found in the bottom of a rarely used trash can. I can only imagine falling into something like that (proportionately sized of course) and then dying of thirst. It's a horrible way to go.

Wasn't that a Twilight Zone episode?

California King...great pets, just don't touch other snakes first...they then mistake your fingers for lunch...oops. Lesson learned....but if you put a couple kings in the fort...the mice issue will...aaah, never mind. A fort must only haveth one king!

She was indeed. May Flim and Flam find their way to the Lady's field.

Lo there do I see my father, Lo there do I see my mother, my sisters and my brothers , Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever

Back