I finally “nutted up” on adjusting my own action and intonation

Gnarmageddon

Okay, I admit it. there has been just a certain “something“ about adjusting the saddles and truss rod on my own guitar that has always kept me away.

But finally, with a little online help from a friend who is far more knowledgeable than I, I took the plunge this morning and worked on the action and intonation on my new DW CE24. It’s funny because the tension difference between the factory 10 gauge strings and standard tuning wasn’t that different from the .12-.60 drop B I use. But the action was definitely high as a result.

Even though the “why“ of how neck relief doesn’t make sense to me, I managed to get this finnicky Floyd, neck and strings to a nice medium low with nary a buzzing fret to be found.

Score.

Okay, I admit it. there has been just a certain “something“ about adjusting the saddles and truss rod on my own guitar that has always kept me away.

But finally, with a little online help from a friend who is far more knowledgeable than I, I took the plunge this morning and worked on the action and intonation on my new DW CE24. It’s funny because the tension difference between the factory 10 gauge strings and standard tuning wasn’t that different from the .12-.60 drop B I use. But the action was definitely high as a result.

Even though the “why“ of how neck relief doesn’t make sense to me, I managed to get this finnicky Floyd, neck and strings to a nice medium low with nary a buzzing fret to be found.

Score.
Yup, concur. Set-up/intonations for wraparound of adjustable stop tail guitars is comparatively easy, but I will be learning how to do the same for tremolo guitars. There are several extra steps you need to take with these.

Fortunately, I've got a guitar tech friend who agreed to walk me through/teach me about this, for the price of a home-cooked dinner for him and his wife. (Meatloaves in the oven as I type...).

Yet this may be a brief visit to my friend this week, simply because my incoming tremolo guitar is already set-up with .009 gauge strings (would have been the reason for me to visit my friend otherwise).

I've also invested in a few tools necessary (screwdriver/wrench set, neck radius gauge) and already own a set of feeler gauges and other tools of the trade.

I've yet to learn about Floyd Rose tremolos, and TBH, they kinda intimidate me. That may be the next step in my DIY guitar tech education... methinks my cooking will fund much of this process...

I applaud the effort taken to learn setup skills. StewMac sells great tools and has lots of videos on the subject. The tools are expensive, but you can’t beat the guarantee and I think you get what you pay for.

I've been tinkering with mine for couple weeks and finally got it feeling like new. I wanted to lower my action on my se hb2 piezo. I tried and really threw everything out of whack. So much buzz and it just felt awful to play.

I've now adjusted the truss so it's straightas an arrow, set the action to almost no buzz with a lot of trial and error. I borrowing a band mates strobe tuner and adjusted the intonation to spot on. About 2 hours of YouTube videos in there as well.

I was getting so frustrated I almost bought another guitar because I was going to bring it to a luthier. He's a guy all my bandmates use who i know is really good but he'll keep the guitar for up to 2 weeks.

So now my guitar is playing smooth but I still want the vela I decided on while slowly learning how to set up my guitar.

Great and important things to learn if one doesn’t want to waste time and money. Even more important, nobody knows how you play or want your guitar to feel. Most people who do this for a living, have a kind of stock starting point. While that’s good for many people, it may not to be to your taste. Once you know the ins and outs, you can dial it in to your preference. The past 4-5 years, I decided to do my intonation standing up with my guitar on my strap. Adjust the intonation in my normal playing position. Why? Cause I don’t play my guitar while it lies on a table or work bench. I find my guitars play more accurately and in tune while I rehearse with the band. Is it massively different if I do the work on a bench? No, I usually get everything on there, then my final check and tweaks standing up cause that’s how I play unless I’m just fiddling around at home on the couch. It’s my new recommendation to people. Just seems logical to me.

I applaud the effort taken to learn setup skills. StewMac sells great tools and has lots of videos on the subject. The tools are expensive, but you can’t beat the guarantee and I think you get what you pay for.
Music Nomad has some good tools in case StewMac might be a bit expensive. These aren't cheap either, but it pays to be selective buying what tools will do the job for the least cost. A good radius and height gauge, some feeler gauges, a good screwdriver/allen wrench set, and a good tuner will do the job well. You might be able to skip the fret polishing tools, unless your guitar has seen some extensive use.

I've discovered that my Fractal FM9 tuner does an awesome job with intonations, much better than my StroboStomp or former Korg strobe tuner.
Great and important things to learn if one doesn’t want to waste time and money. Even more important, nobody knows how you play or want your guitar to feel. Most people who do this for a living, have a kind of stock starting point. While that’s good for many people, it may not to be to your taste. Once you know the ins and outs, you can dial it in to your preference. The past 4-5 years, I decided to do my intonation standing up with my guitar on my strap. Adjust the intonation in my normal playing position. Why? Cause I don’t play my guitar while it lies on a table or work bench. I find my guitars play more accurately and in tune while I rehearse with the band. Is it massively different if I do the work on a bench? No, I usually get everything on there, then my final check and tweaks standing up cause that’s how I play unless I’m just fiddling around at home on the couch. It’s my new recommendation to people. Just seems logical to me.
I'm of the school that uses 3/32 low E and 1/16 high E preferred string action. According to the several YT videos I've viewed, the vast majority of folks prefer this height; although it is possible to go higher. Lower typically introduces fret buzz, and it may be the difference of 0.5 mm that might cause this.

Am also an advocate of intonation while holding the guitar at torso height so as to relieve neck tension compared to setting it horizontal on your workbench.

Thanks for the tips regards knowing how to hold the guitar while intonating. While it seems intuitive, one can make the mistake of creating neck tension at the workbench that will cause things to sound "off" when held during normal play...

I second the motions on final adjustments being made while holding guitar in normal playing position. Saw that in a video a few years back and immediately made it a part of my routine. One thing that I really love having in my tool kit is the fret rulers (a straight edge with notches for the frets so it lays on the board to show you relief). You have to buy a special one if you have a 24 fret PRS, but they give me a quick way to check the neck relieve even when standing up! I have owned my EBMM Stingray for 16 years, and when I swapped out all hardware last year (blacked out), I could not believe how wonderful it played after all was set up properly! I had never taken the time to do so with the orig hardware (chrome), but after that experience, I went to all my electric guitars and basses and went to town with great results! Still have not tackled the acoustics, but those are completely different birds when it comes to such adjustments as you all know and I have not played any of them for more than a few hours since getting my PRSi stable last year!!!

Than you don't play? Kind of like asking, how often should you change your engine oil? Answer: Whenever it needs it, not before.

When new. I generally like a little lower action and flatter fret board than factory setting. I also adjust the truss rod “whenever it needs it.”

Last edited:
When new. I generally like a little lower action and flatter fret board than factory setting. I also adjust the truss rod “whenever it needs it.”
Yup. My guess is you lean towards Santanas if you like flatter radius necks. Not sure what you're saying by "flatter fretboard than factory setting" unless you mean custom PS carve.

What do you like for string height? Most guitar techs usually set up action at 3/32 and 1/16 low/high E respectively. Is it possible to lower the action without causing fret buzz, even on flatter radii guitars?

Warmer summer months will undoubtedly cause humidity level increases, so I'm learning now how to set-up both stop tail and tremolo guitars before the need occurs.

Music Nomad has some good tools in case StewMac might be a bit expensive. These aren't cheap either, but it pays to be selective buying what tools will do the job for the least cost. A good radius and height gauge, some feeler gauges, a good screwdriver/allen wrench set, and a good tuner will do the job well. You might be able to skip the fret polishing tools, unless your guitar has seen some extensive use.

I've discovered that my Fractal FM9 tuner does an awesome job with intonations, much better than my StroboStomp or former Korg strobe tuner.

I'm of the school that uses 3/32 low E and 1/16 high E preferred string action. According to the several YT videos I've viewed, the vast majority of folks prefer this height; although it is possible to go higher. Lower typically introduces fret buzz, and it may be the difference of 0.5 mm that might cause this.

Am also an advocate of intonation while holding the guitar at torso height so as to relieve neck tension compared to setting it horizontal on your workbench.

Thanks for the tips regards knowing how to hold the guitar while intonating. While it seems intuitive, one can make the mistake of creating neck tension at the workbench that will cause things to sound "off" when held during normal play...
Yes, I generally just use the PRS general setup guide measurements as my starting point and usually stick pretty close to that. The music nomad neck/headstock rest is what I have on my bench. With it’s shape, it can be low enough when set on its side to move it closer to the body of the guitar rather than all the way down by the headstock, reducing the amount of tension on the neck.

I need to learn this. I think I need a slight truss rod adjustment, but I'm afraid to mess with it myself. Oy. I still have heart palpitations when I have to do a string change...lol!

I need to learn this. I think I need a slight truss rod adjustment, but I'm afraid to mess with it myself. Oy. I still have heart palpitations when I have to do a string change...lol!

There are tons of videos and explanations. The key things to remember are small increments and go slow. The first time you do it is definitely nerve-wracking. The first time a neck creaks definitely tests your bladder strength. But unless you have an unusual situation (like a frozen truss rod) or do something really stupid, anything you do is reversible.

E52jP0.gif

Back