I do NOT need a new head - now help me choose one

DougUSMC

Perpetual Practicer
Ok everyone, I know I'm still a newbie around here, but I think I've made it obvious that I'm a gearhead. I know I'm not alone in saying that having sweet new tech makes me want to pick up a guitar and play more!

To that end, I'm NOT looking at the PRS amps and trying to choose a new one.

I posted a pic in the other thread about my head switching rack, and I'm thinking about swapping out one or another that I haven't used lately (Orange 15), and would like to consider the PRS options. I made the leap into tubes about a year ago, and haven't looked back. BUT, with spring happening I've been considering a new combo tube, as the only combo I have is digital. So, not buying a new head, combos is a completely different addiction.

I'm thinking about something I can take out back and play with, nothing big. I'm looking for < 50w, would like 2 channels and some options so I don't have to lug out the pedalboard.

I'm going back and forth b/w a Sonzera 20, Archon 25, and Custom 20. After I decide that the Custom 20 is probably the right choice, then I start looking @ the Archon 50, and the process begins all over again...

Halp!!!

I think this is a little too broad. What are you trying to accomplish? Jazz? Pop? Blues? Metal? Rock? Funk?

What's your budget?

Personally, I feel like you can never go wrong with a Marshall

Apparently, Freidman (spelling?) is a budget-friendly Marshall or a hot rodded Marshall. IDK anything about them because I'm the type of guy where, if I want a Marshall sound, I'll just buy a Marshall amp.
I always laugh at YouTube gear reviews where people say "This is just like a Les Paul" or "this is just like a Vox AC30"

Just buy a damn AC30. Then, you'll know you're getting those overly-bright and spanky sounding British tones.

I digress but, I'm a big fan of just buying whatever it is you want to sound like.

Have you looked into Kemper? They're supposedly the Jesus of modeling amps

Sorry, I thought I scoped it well, then read what I posted and saw that it's just "train of consciousness typing".

I'm looking for a new tube combo. I'd like to buy my first PRS amp.
I already have Fender, Marshall, and Orange tube heads, and a Marshall digital combo.

I'm looking for something I can drag out to the back patio, and just play along. I'm generally playing anything from 70s rock, 80s hair bands, 50s & 60s (Beatles, Beachboys + surf rock), Country (ZBB, Brad Paisley), and lately looking into more finger style and chicken picking.

Wish list is dual input, clean / dirty channels, 3 EQ, effects loop, 1/4" output, footswitch. Tonally, emphasis would be on good lows, strong clean.

I hope that's a better idea of my wants.

EDIT: I'm not looking to spend $3k on a DG custom, but other than that it's not really a concern.

Sorry, I thought I scoped it well, then read what I posted and saw that it's just "train of consciousness typing".

I already have Fender, Marshall, and Orange tube heads, and a Marshall digital combo.

I'm looking for something I can drag out to the back patio, and just play along. I'm generally playing anything from 70s rock, 80s hair bands, 50s & 60s (Beatles, Beachboys + surf rock), Country (ZBB, Brad Paisley), and lately looking into more finger style and chicken picking.

Wish list is dual input, clean / dirty channels, 3 EQ, effects loop, 1/4" output, footswitch. Tonally, emphasis would be on good lows, strong clean.

EDIT: I'm not looking to spend $3k on a DG custom, but other than that it's not really a concern.

Archon.

O
I can. Great clean channel. KILLER gain channel. If you don't love it immediately, replace the speaker and you will.

This is great also!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173867977332?ul_noapp=true

Ok, thanks! It looks like there's a lot to love in the Archon series. That G12-75T may not last long, but I have a couple of 2x12s that I built that I could steal a V30 from and swap it out if I wanted.

Why would you say the Archon over the Custom tho?

I think with the bright switch off and the presence down, the Archon can do the "fatter smoother" thing the custom does. But with the bright switch on and the presence up, it can get way more aggressive. The custom has plenty of gain for most people, so I'm not just talking about gain.

Another vote for the Archon, 50w over 25w. It gets labeled as a High Gain amp, but it is really versatile, and can cover a lot of ground. I sold DTR my MkV when I got the 50w Archon (head). He was all over the MkV. Finally got him into an Archon and the MkV is now gone! Nothing against the MkV. It's a great, great amp. But, you have to work at it, or really know Boogies to get what you're looking for. The Archon is a much more simple layout and can get you anywhere from screaming metal, to high gain thump, all the way back to cool AC/DC sounds, and some rockabilly. Plus, the clean channel is glorious. Clean channel is a monster pedal platform. The only downside, in my book, is no reverb. I can deal with that, though. There's a great video on here, somewhere, that Aristotle posted with some cleanish Archon playing. I try to find it every time some talks about the Archon just being for metal/high gain applications.

A quick search finds aforementioned video.

Sonzera, perhaps? Just cause you mentioned country and I think, if I remember right, the Sonzera is the more Nashville sounding amp.

And obviously (based on YouTube reviews), the Archon as stated by others.

I've always been a big fan of Mesa. Played many, and they all sound like heavenly angels singing to you. Problem with those is the freakin price. There's just no excuse for how much they charge. But, hey, if money is no object...Get a Dumble! Just kidding.

Honestly, I think there's a whole mess of amps that have that overly clean tone to them, and you can just run pedals through them.

Does it need to be a combo? This Tremonti head sounds amazing bro

You mentioned good lows and a nice clean. I also think the Archon is a safer bet if you’re just dipping your toes in the PRS amp world, it’ll be a lot easier to move along if you wind up not liking it.

That's probably a very accurate statement right there. They do seem to be widely popular among a variety of players even though they're geared more towards metal.

I know I want one. Someday.

For what it’s worth, I’m not a metal player; I prefer “classic” amp tones.

If you’re only going to use a small percentage of the gain an Archon has, why not consider the Custom 20? It’s a beautiful sounding amp that can do a lot of things well.

I have no experience with the Sonzera, so can’t really comment. They seem like a great buy, though.

Lemme just throw a spanner in the works. Have you checked out the Mesa Fillmore 25?

I have an Archon, and it's glorious, but I'm not sure it's going to get everywhere you want to go without pulling out the pedalboard.

I'm a fan of the Custom, and have a Custom 50 combo.
One of the things I love about it is what's available with the included footswitch.
Why? Because you get to boost either channel individually with the knobs on the back of the amp.
In the end, you get a super sweet clean channel with a boost to whatever level you like, and a good lead channel with aggressive boost. So, 4 sounds right out of the box to go with your guitar controls.
Very flexible.
If you do want to haul out a pedal or two, it'll take them great.
Or a Kemper.:)

It's not the amount of gain in the Archon, it's the character. Nice and grainy. I'd go Archon 50.

Or friedman small box 50.

Well, of course one person’s “nice and grainy” is another person’s “too grainy”.

We all know the smartest choice is to play a bunch and pick what works for you. But these days that can be difficult. A dealer near me stocks PRS, Mesa, Bogner, Friedman, Suhr, Metropoulos, Fender, Marshall, Dr. Z, /13 and many others, so I’m relatively lucky to be able to try things.

Well said here
Well, of course one person’s “nice and grainy” is another person’s “too grainy”.

We all know the smartest choice is to play a bunch and pick what works for you. But these days that can be difficult. A dealer near me stocks PRS, Mesa, Bogner, Friedman, Suhr, Metropoulos, Fender, Marshall, Dr. Z, /13 and many others, so I’m relatively lucky to be able to try things.

How do you find your Fillmore Les?;)

Back