I did my first ever big repair all by myself!!!

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
So unfortunately, I had a ukulele neck snap on me (sat on it, it was in the dark, didn't see it) and it snapped at the heel. So I took some tite bond, a clamp, put the tite bond in the crack (it was mostly snapped along the heel but not fully off) and then clamped it down!

Well done. Good thing that wasn’t a beloved family pet!
Thanks, it's very messing sanding wise, would need to strip the finish to and repaint to get a halfway decent finish but I don't care about a cheap little ukulele

Awesome, next up, your younger brother's toy giraffe.
well this was a legitimate ukulele that had a legitimate crack that needed a legitimate repair. And what I took from Dan Erlewine (or papa to the guitar repair community) is that I needed to put titebond on the crack as best as I could, then clamp it down for 24 for hours then refinish over.

I replaced the input jack on my Wolfgang. I was proud.

I changed my strings. That was about the biggest repair I’ve done. I did that last year on one of my guitars. I try to pace myself.

I replaced the input jack on my Wolfgang. I was proud.

I changed my strings. That was about the biggest repair I’ve done. I did that last year on one of my guitars. I try to pace myself.

I think we should try to give the kid some credit for accomplishing some small things recently. Not credit in terms of "Here's a gift card, enjoy," but encouragement for being able to do small things on his way to larger building/repair projects.

One thing we could teach him is how to do is his own intonations and set-ups. Someone can offer him guidance in this; I'll let others take credit for the actual teaching. Something else we could try is to discourage bad habits. Can't think of any in particular, but am sure you folks can assist him with this.

DTR, what do you think? Like to keep an open mind when it comes to positive reinforcement...OK, I've given you something you can work with; will step back and let the peer-bonding begin....

I think we should try to give the kid some credit for accomplishing some small things recently. Not credit in terms of "Here's a gift card, enjoy," but encouragement for being able to do small things on his way to larger building/repair projects.

One thing we could teach him is how to do is his own intonations and set-ups. Someone can offer him guidance in this; I'll let others take credit for the actual teaching. Something else we could try is to discourage bad habits. Can't think of any in particular, but am sure you folks can assist him with this.

DTR, what do you think? Like to keep an open mind when it comes to positive reinforcement...OK, I've given you something you can work with; will step back and let the peer-bonding begin....
I have a gift card I can send, I’m just going to need to see his drivers license so I have the mailing address.

I have a gift card I can send, I’m just going to need to see his drivers license so I have the mailing address.

(Smacks head with hand.) No, I meant commend the kid for being inquisitive and open to learning about PRS recently. The kid is exuberant, but he needs guidance and some focus. Rather than try to teach him how to party late at night, (he'll discover this himself), we could help him with his practice routine, or how to build small projects that will prove useful skill-wise later in life. You know, the specialized skills sets we needed for our jobs that defined who we are today? That kind of thing.

Dan Erlewine's book is a good place to begin. If anyone can show the kid how to research specific YT vids with some DIY projects, I think he'd just about go bananas if he found some useful projects that would provide him with a reliable and legal source of income later in life.

So unfortunately, I had a ukulele neck snap on me (sat on it, it was in the dark, didn't see it) and it snapped at the heel. So I took some tite bond, a clamp, put the tite bond in the crack (it was mostly snapped along the heel but not fully off) and then clamped it down!

Well done! The repair...not the sitting on a ukele.

For future repairs you can use a syringe to squirt glue into the crack...
r5B9Hby.jpg

Or if you can get ahold of one like this...
4NA76KT.jpg

If you are friendly with your dentist they can score you one...;)

Back