I did a bad thing, but it feels so good...gonna do it again w/pics added

gemyneye

So many guitars, not enough time
Ok, so regardless of the myriad of opinions that will probably pop up here, and no matter how much I love my PRS guitars, a couple just didn't match EXACTLY what I wanted. And I know have tens of thousands of dollars to throw at a custom PRS but with the crazy amount of OT I've had, I got an S2 McCarty thinline (blue) which, man, was SO CLOSE to what I wanted...so, I found a reputable luthier and had the bridge pickup switched to a PRS metal, the neck to a Fralin Sunbucker, stainless steel frets, new nut, and shaved the radius to a compound 10-16. Holy )(&*, I LOVE this thing so much that I did it again.... I had the neck on my Silver Sky re-carved to a blend of a Suhr slim C and PRS pattern thin, stainless steel frets, new nut, and compound 9-12 radius. And I LOVE this neck so much! I know there are people out there who will disagree with what I did, but with my hands, this neck is perfection and I have the snap and sparkle of the pickups. SO, I'm doing it again, got a deal on another S2 thinline (red) and a white Fiore. Since I have a red Fiore that I'm keeping stock, I'm having the new one's neck carved to similar spec's as my SS, add stainless steel frets, and switching to Lollar 64's single coils and Imperial humbucker. AND the new S2 thinline same compound radius as my other, new frets, Fishman Fluence pickups and a Floyd Rose. Four custom guitars to my specifications for a fraction of what one would've been. I never thought I would've done this, but I have NO regrets. My other core, I am keeping exactly the way they are, because I got real lucky with how they came to me and they were a lot more than the combined cost of my upgraded new ones.

Having a vision, and the means to achieve it is fantastic-- Congrats!!

Having a good luthier to partner with is critical (as I believe you already know).

Went through something VERY similar with my previous #1 ('58 reissue LP) many years ago. My guy was top notch and created something that by far exceeded my expectations... and he was well compensated for his skill ;)

Enjoy your custom creations! :cool:

Having a vision, and the means to achieve it is fantastic-- Congrats!!

Having a good luthier to partner with is critical (as I believe you already know).

Went through something VERY similar with my previous #1 ('58 reissue LP) many years ago. My guy was top notch and created something that by far exceeded my expectations... and he was well compensated for his skill ;)

Enjoy your custom creations! :cool:
Thank you so much! I plan on it.

As far as I'm concerned, you made some great choices. What works for you as a player...works!

As someone pointed out already, they're intended to be instruments to make music with, not fetish objects of worship, never to be made yours! ;)

"Les, I caught you worshipping your guitars yesterday."

"Silly man, I wasn't worshipping them, I was thanking the Great Gods of Tone for sending them my way!"

What an awesome use of OT funds! Kudos for taking the plunge and congrats on the results. Making them yours just adds inspiration to play more and makes playing more fun & easier. Just having a nicely sanded neck makes a big difference and having the carve just right must be SO much better.

And a whole lot less worry about an SE versus an S2 or an S2 versus a core.

Some we keepses stock... some we mod'ses ups....
but no matters whats happens, we ends upses with good pickups......

(my wife's a 4'8.5" Hobbitses....... she spins these yarnses...)
And they are all .... precioussss

As far as I'm concerned, you made some great choices. What works for you as a player...works!

As someone pointed out already, they're intended to be instruments to make music with, not fetish objects of worship, never to be made yours! ;)

"Les, I caught you worshipping your guitars yesterday."

"Silly man, I wasn't worshipping them, I was thanking the Great Gods of Tone for sending them my way!"
Right on!! I was afraid to at first but then I was like, "Dude I want them to be mine and I want to play and enjoy them!"

Back