I created a monster that's eating all my guitars... no joke.

MikeChandler

I created a monster and it's eating all my guitars. I only wish I was kidding.

The monster I am speaking of is the modified bernie marsden SE that I drilled out and installed pigtail US steel inserts, then full USA hardware, including the PRS USA stop tail, steel studs, grover tuners, and sd a2pro pickups.

The problem is that playing it has caused me to find all sorts of flaws in my other guitars. Leaving me wanting to sell them and get better guitars.

I know this sound ridiculous. Unfortunately it's true. This little guitar is a Gibson Les Paul & PRS McCarty eating monster. If any of you know me from other forums, you know I've dumped some really great guitars recently. All gone. All guitars that fell in battle against the monster.

It is a cosmic joke, an anomaly, designed to make me liquidate my guitar collection. There can't be any other reason. So I am thinking about purposefully destroying it, but not in a way that would invoke the Wrath of God, since he is probably sitting humorously behind this gag.

I'd destroy it in a dumbass, fumbling, stupid kind of way:

I don't like the bird inlays, and never did... so if I send it to a luthier to put in a brazilian rosewood fretboard with crown inlays, which would involve a refret, then ship it to have it completely stripped and painted maybe in large gold flake... it very well could come back as crap. Which would then make me feel good about my remaining guitars that it's currently making look really bad.

Of course if it came back as the devil incarnate, destroyer of all guitar souls, I'll be in even deeper.

What d'ya think?

(I hope this is received in the same humorous spirit with which it is given.. and sometimes it really does feel like this)

Last edited:
I understand your dilemma. However, I recommend you just be thankful to have a guitar you love so much, regardless of it's market value. Enjoy & rock that sucka!

The only 2 guitars that I've kept out and played for the last month (or 3...??) are my Vela and SE ZM. Kinda going thru the same thing you are. Regardless of 'market value', these two guitars make me happy!!

I feel your pain, a couple of different ways. One, I too have a Bernie that slays. I dropped in a MannMade 2300 bridge and studs, Phase III's, and a set of BK Abraxsas pickups and ditched the speed knobs for amber lampshades. It's getting a Core nut at the next string change. I've got some pots for it, but I'm in no hurry on that. I find myself playing that thing a lot. If I've only got 10 or 15 minutes, that seems to be the one I go to. I dunno, I think PRS and Bernie knocked it out of the park with this one. Personally, I wouldn't refinish it, nor would I change the fret board. I'd be too afraid that I wouldn't like it. I'll just sit back and feel good because I got a BIG gift in a little (price wise) package.

As for the refinish, I get you here too. I just sent a Cu22 off to the PTC. I was going to use it in trade on something, but I LOVE the way it feels and plays. I just hate the way it looks! So, off for a new color. I'm not worried about the characteristics changing on this one as much as I would be the Bernie. Not sure why I feel that way, but I do. Mostly because I'm an idiot o_O

Over the years I have had a lot of guitars - currently down to 21 (17 PRSi) - at one point I had 20 + PRS and over the years have probably had 30 + but every now and then I wish i had one of the many I have let go. So now if I am not playing a particular guitar I just leave it in the rack because sooner or later I know I will pick it up and remember why I used to play it so much - remember the equation guitars needed = guitars owned +1 ;-)

I wish I had a guitar I love that much. I've had a lot of good ones, superseded by a few excellent ones, but I've yet to find the one guitar that rules them all.

Wait, it is an unknown secret with these Bernie's that it is the bird inlays that give it its great tone.

JK, never had the pleasure of playing one, but I hear they are LP killers.

LOL... I had fun writing that. It is a cool little guitar. But all kidding aside...

I have been thinking about grabbing another, since it's back at that same price - and sending that one off for all the work. When it comes back, if it still plays great... then I'd do the other upgrades. Kind of a test burn piggie to make sure I want to risk invoking the wrath.

I do fully suspect it is a divinely orchestrated prank on me, or to put it another way -

The PRS SE Bernie Marsden may well be the sum cumulative result of all of our wife's prayers for a cheap solution to the seemingly endless Gear Acquisition Syndrome with which we suffer.

;)

I wish I had a guitar I love that much. I've had a lot of good ones, superseded by a few excellent ones, but I've yet to find the one guitar that rules them all.

Now there you've gone and done it! I blame you for this...

I have to paint it gold with fiery elfen script "One guitar to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them".

Wow

The back will be the huge fiery eye of Sauron. Replace the logo on the headstock with a white hand print. Done.

I have been thinking about grabbing another, since it's back at that same price - and sending that one off for all the work.

Now there you've gone and done it! I blame you for this...

I have to paint it gold with fiery elfen script "One guitar to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them".

Wow

The back will be the huge fiery eye of Sauron. Replace the logo on the headstock with a white hand print. Done.

Do it! I so want to see this done. Especially without potentially sacrificing the monster.

If you love the sound of it now, I wouldn't recommend changing the finish or the fretboard. But that's just me, ymmv.

My SE has killed my LP Studio, a really nice HSS Strat, and severely injured my SG. I'm keeping her away from my teles.

So I walked into GC today... and there was this Zach Myers sitting there... oh man it played so nice, great resonance, plugged it in, nice singing guitar.. oh oh, another monster... I played it for a good hour.
(and I brought it home of course)

So I walked into GC today... and there was this Zach Myers sitting there... oh man it played so nice, great resonance, plugged it in, nice singing guitar.. oh oh, another monster... I played it for a good hour.
(and I brought it home of course)
You go man! Don't let it knock out the Bernie though! :D

Maybe if you leave them near each other with the gigbags open a little bit, they will get used to each other ;) Then you can open the bags more and more...pretty soon they might even be able to hang out on a multi-stand together without someone breaking a tuner or something...

Congrats! Would love to see a shot of them together :)

Congrats! Would love to see a shot of them together :)

Here they are, Zach on the left, Bernie on the right, and their next victim in the middle...

Family%20Singlecuts_zpsfues4ljc.jpg

Back