I caved to a modification

FDowldM.gif

I sung the praises of the rotary for a long time, and kept it for years, but I eventually caved and made the switch. Not looking back.
Like I said earlier. I have had a couple of each type of switching systems in previous PRSi that I have had. Love the diversity of the rotary. BUT, I really wasn't playing out with them. The toggle was always just easier and required no thought to use. I don't play well enough to play without thinking....so any EXTRA need to think just makes things more confusing for an already confused fiddler. I caved. What can I say. I like the tones from a simple three way and a coil split too.

I figured tea ceremony, study, “extra effort!”
I am of the possibly ill considered opinion, that if you are going to the effort of having a ceremony, it should be for something more substantial than freakin' tea.
I mean at least gimme a stiff drink... fru fru umbrellas and the whole nine yards.

I am of the possibly ill considered opinion, that if you are going to the effort of having a ceremony, it should be for something more substantial than freakin' tea.
I mean at least gimme a stiff drink... fru fru umbrellas and the whole nine yards.

Good point. I do a very good martini ceremony.

Last edited:
Two signs of a truly civilized society: Ergonomics, and underwear.

Going commando or using rotary switches on guitars is uncivilized.

The ancient Roman legions wore underwear; they’ve dug up evidence of it in bogs in ancient Roman ruins along Hadrian’s Wall. No wonder they were so effective. They also had plumbing and glass windows. No huts made of straw and sticks stuck together with mud and dung for those guys!

They’d have had 3 & 5-way switches, too, if only they’d had the good sense to harness electricity and invent electric guitars.

I have no doubt that had that happened, there’d have been none of this “fall of the Roman Empire” stuff. ;)

Um, Les, put your shorts back on so you can see more clearly.

I’d have to disagree with the second half of that.

Using a rotary switch is like performing a Japanese tea ceremony, and requires a couple years of finishing school to learn how to operate.

I recognize that the Japanese master things like nobody else.

While there is art in learning to operate the rotary, I never found the results to be worth acquiring the skill. I'm totally a neck pickup or bridge pickup guy. All those in-between things are overly trebly compromises.

Two signs of a truly civilized society: Ergonomics, and underwear.

The ancient Roman legions wore underwear; they’ve dug up evidence of it in bogs in ancient Roman ruins along Hadrian’s Wall. No wonder they were so effective. They also had plumbing and glass windows. No huts made of straw and sticks stuck together with mud and dung for those guys!

I knew they were great at concrete, but I had no idea about the glass windows. How were they compared to what we do today?

I knew they were great at concrete, but I had no idea about the glass windows. How were they compared to what we do today?

The Romans invented glass windows. This was during the early period of empire, so during the time of the early Caesars. Early on, the windows were just thick cast glass; later on they were able to make clearer glass panes. Here’s a pic of an actual Roman villa’s bedroom, excavated in Pompeii, showing the original window frame (the translucent glass on the other side of the window is modern, and there to protect the interior).

We know Vesuvius buried Pompeii in ash in AD79, so the latest possible dating of this window would be that time. This is all original, floor, frescoes, ceilings, etc. Obviously, only very rich people had glass windows and decor like this. They’ve found examples of Roman window glass that’s from later periods in various places in Europe.

Except for the ornate style of the wall paintings, it looks pretty modern, doesn’t it? Roman history was one of my big interests in college (the other was British and US Constitutional history). I’m endlessly fascinated by things the ancient Romans pioneered.

sAQjK04.jpg

Last edited:
Fun fact #1: Glass is neither a solid or a liquid, it’s somewhere in between.

Fun fact #2: Concrete cures, it doesn’t dry. If all the moisture is taken out it falls apart.

Fun fact #3: If you think about fun facts 1 and 2 while high, it’ll blow your mind.

Fun fact #1: Glass is neither a solid or a liquid, it’s somewhere in between.

Fun fact #2: Concrete cures, it doesn’t dry. If all the moisture is taken out it falls apart.

Fun fact #3: If you think about fun facts 1 and 2 while high, it’ll blow your mind.

That’s interesting!

As I understand it, the opposite happens with nitro lacquer - it dries, but never cures!

Back