I caved to a modification

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
So, after playing out with this guitar over the weekend, I realized that I am MUCH more comfortable with the three way toggle and push pull pot than I am the five way rotary. So I (the anti-mod) collapsed and bought an OEM toggle set up from John Mann and took it to my luthier to have it installed this morning. *sigh*.

It does appear as though making that switch (pun intended) might give me cancer.....at least according to the packaging on the electronics.

65238780_10161880613285331_5964128446358487040_n.jpg

I don't have a rotary guitar to compare, but the movie running in my tiny mind agrees that a 3-way with push/pull works for me.
I've had two of each. And in a bedroom, where there is time to play around with it, I am clumsier with the rotary but it isn't a big enough deal to worry about. Live, I am clumsy enough WITHOUT having to figure out the rotary. So anything to minimize the amount of thinking (or overthinking as the case may be) will be helpful.

I made that mode as well and I couldn't be happier. You got some really nice tones with the 5-way rotary, but the switching system just wasn't for me. It was too intricate for when I was playing with others. I'm in CA and din't read the warning though. Does that mean I have cancer now? Since it's probably already too late for me, I might as well just get a pack of smokes or something.

I keep a rotary in my parts drawer just in case. I much prefer the toggle as well. I think I’ve changed back to the rotary approximately once per decade. Then I put the toggle back in. Totally get it in a live setting. That’s the reason I switched it out in the first place too.

I feel like playing a guitar without a 3 or 5 way switch is like leaving you house without any underwear.

Two signs of a truly civilized society: Ergonomics, and underwear.

Going commando or using rotary switches on guitars is uncivilized.

The ancient Roman legions wore underwear; they’ve dug up evidence of it in bogs in ancient Roman ruins along Hadrian’s Wall. No wonder they were so effective. They also had plumbing and glass windows. No huts made of straw and sticks stuck together with mud and dung for those guys!

They’d have had 3 & 5-way switches, too, if only they’d had the good sense to harness electricity and invent electric guitars.

I have no doubt that had that happened, there’d have been none of this “fall of the Roman Empire” stuff. ;)

Back