I can't find a "direct" semi clean lead sound I can live with.

Two Notes CAB-M? Variety of power tubes, cabs and mic sims. Does XLR and TRS/TS direct to interface or PA. Shawn Tubbs does a decent video demo, below...

Fast-forward to 17:47 for clean tones...options for miking and EQing makes all the difference...

Last edited:

Are your pickups set low to the pickguard/trim ring? They will clean up a lot easier the further you move them from the strings. Have you changed the screw poles (if using something like a neck humbucker)? I got a new used HH guitar over the weekend, too muddy and unclear note definition, so I lowered the neck pickup and raised the screw poles 1/8th inch up into a Strat 'stagger' and then slightly adjusted the pickup height to a sweet spot. As good as a pickup swap.

Find a Joyo American Sound pedal to use as direct-in

Intheblues Joyo vs Tube Amp
Nico Bellisario Joyo American Sound Fender Settings

Are your pickups set low to the pickguard/trim ring? They will clean up a lot easier the further you move them from the strings. Have you changed the screw poles (if using something like a neck humbucker)? I got a new used HH guitar over the weekend, too muddy and unclear note definition, so I lowered the neck pickup and raised the screw poles 1/8th inch up into a Strat 'stagger' and then slightly adjusted the pickup height to a sweet spot. As good as a pickup swap.

Thanks for posting this.

This is important info regards pickup height. Can change the tone structure completely. Also saved a boatload of cash thinking a pickup swap was required, when twas not, just the height adjustment and some FX and amp EQ adjustments.

Also maintained the integrity of the original PRS S2 guitar, which now is my main practice/jam guitar.

Back