I call her "Winter" (my 513)

wind016

I know I made a thread with my 513 before, but I thought I'd make another dedicated to her with more pics. The other thread was mostly a NGD for my Custom 24. I call her Winter which I think is appropriate. For one obvious reason; she's white. People also seem to think the 513 can sound sterile. I prefer to think of it as her sounding wonderfully clean. Like the season, which could be thought of as a dead season, it can be very beautiful in its own way. Any other 513 lovers here?

425577_10100697152802027_989674567_n.jpg

419278_10100697153031567_371228918_n.jpg

419403_10100697151983667_1237233902_n.jpg

I'm going to have to review my dislike of Gold Plating...

I normally hate it but i've seen a good few guitars recently that just looked perfect with gold. I think on that guitar chrome or nickel would leave it looking cold but the gold warms it up.

Nice looking guitar, any sound or vid clips of it in action?

I'm going to have to review my dislike of Gold Plating...

I normally hate it but i've seen a good few guitars recently that just looked perfect with gold. I think on that guitar chrome or nickel would leave it looking cold but the gold warms it up.

Nice looking guitar, any sound or vid clips of it in action?

That's a beautiful 513!

Funny thing about gold plating, people seem to have strong feelings about it. I like it simply because it doesn't tarnish like nickel, so there's less maintenance. And I'm fine with how it wears over the years (my body chemistry seems to do nothing to the gold, but tarnishes the nickel if I just look at it!).

But I've gotten to the point that the plating, or lack thereof, isn't a deal breaker either way. If it comes on the guitar, great. If not, that's cool, too.

Well I tried experimenting with the 513, because I felt my Custom 24 was handling high-gain better than the 513. Something in the 513 was not handling fast palm mutings well. There would be a residue ringing noise through the bridge pickup. I thought it was the tremolo ringing so I stuffed it a bit with cotton between the springs. Then voila! Most of the ringing stopped. Then I just loaded it up with layer upon layer of cotton, now no more ringing. The 513 is now an even better sounding metal guitar than my Custom 24 (IMO anyways). The gain is more saturated, compressed, and crunchy. Surprising for a guitar that people claim to be jack of all trades, master of none. I say it's a master of a lot. I can't say enough about this guitar.

Here's a picture of my first try in damping the spring noise. You guys think there are any issues that may come from this? The trem cavity is just loaded with cotton right now.

423376_10101714619770067_71458038_n.jpg

It might effect the intonation a little if the cotton gets in the coils of the springs. Nice 513. I have 7 as of now, soon to be 8.

Well I tried experimenting with the 513, because I felt my Custom 24 was handling high-gain better than the 513. Something in the 513 was not handling fast palm mutings well. There would be a residue ringing noise through the bridge pickup. I thought it was the tremolo ringing so I stuffed it a bit with cotton between the springs. Then voila! Most of the ringing stopped. Then I just loaded it up with layer upon layer of cotton, now no more ringing. The 513 is now an even better sounding metal guitar than my Custom 24 (IMO anyways). The gain is more saturated, compressed, and crunchy. Surprising for a guitar that people claim to be jack of all trades, master of none. I say it's a master of a lot. I can't say enough about this guitar.

I would recommend just heading to your local crafts store and buying some foam you could mold because if you use the trem, I am worried that the cotton will begin to tear apart and make a heck of a mess in your cavity!

Back