I broke the push/pull pot on my S2 Mira...

Villano

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and a new PRS owner. So, I won a S2 Mira 2014 on a contest and things have not been going great.

The guitar had a grounding problem that I couldn't pin down, so I was trying to remove the knobs so I would have a bit more room for maneuvering. I used the cleaning cloth technique that I've seen in so many forums, including this one, and the knob came right off and it took the shaft of the pot with it.

I can't really out it back together, it just won't stick. Is there any way of repairing it? If not, where can I get a replacement one? Has anyone gotten an unidentifiable humming problem with an S2 guitar?

Cheers everyone.

There's no fixing 'em. Push/pull pots are available all over the place. Easy enough to do on your own if you can solder. Otherwise, take it to your trusted shop and I'm sure they can sort it easily.

Need to know more on the noise issue. Under what conditions does it make noise and what sort of noise is it: hum or buzz?

The noise could have been the result of a bad pot, or one partially broken already before you pulled on it. Get the pot replaced first, then troubleshoot the noise issue.

What Jmartin said. Odds are a tech will troubleshoot the hum when the new pot is tested.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will get a new pot and check the noise issue later. It was a hum and it was probably ground related because the noise greatly diminished went I touched the strings or any of the metal parts. I used a multimeter to ckeck that everything was grounded and everything seemed fine.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will get a new pot and check the noise issue later. It was a hum and it was probably ground related because the noise greatly diminished went I touched the strings or any of the metal parts. I used a multimeter to ckeck that everything was grounded and everything seemed fine.

That sounds normal, actually. You can reduce that noise by shielding the electronics cavity.

check for the bridge ground bare string wire becoming unsoldered from the back of a pit, and heat up and reflow all solders to ground, as sometimes they can look ok but become 'iffy'

Back