I am the only one who damages his PRS headstocks?

zoddo7

I own 3 PRS I love, but for different reasons everytime I buy one I damage their pointy headstocks.

Yesterday my strap has failed (damned PRS strap buttons, I cannot use my beer rubbers to lock them!), and I damaged my loved Vela head.

The finish is so thin, and the head is so pointy, that also a little touch damage them.

I'm the only one?

Someone please make a silicon PRS headstock protector to save us all!

Aaaaaaahhhh...strap buttons...and strap locks...Many a thread have been written...A quick, cheap answer is to lengthen the slit above the hole in your strap to make sure it wraps around the PRS button COMPLETELY.
Or...Enlarge the hole in the strap on each end a bit. An acoustic guitar maker (rhymes with Baylor) sells nice straps with a larger hole that fits PRS buttons rather nicely...and they are secure.

Hey Shawn...I'd certainly buy a few if PRS made some straps with larger holes.

I've bought those dual locks:
https://amzn.to/32rbv9q

They are a bit diffucult to set in a PRS guitar, but you can gently unscrew the PIN button, put the dual lock in, and screw again the PIN.
Once you make this operation, they will never get out and you have not altered your guitar.

I think PRS makes a larger button to make it more secure than smaller ones, but in fact it's the opposite: they are more difficult to use with tipical strap locks (like simple bottle rubbers) and you can think it will not get out the hole of your strap: it's wrong.

But the point is: please make a rubber protection for our delicate pointy headstocks :)

One of the first things I did with my PRS is ding the pointy headstock. Luckily there wasn't much damage done so it's hardly noticeable. I have got more dings on the lower bouts from missing the soft bits of guitar stands and one or two dents in the top from who knows where. At first they are really annoying, but after a few of them they just become part of the guitars history. Mine has got the thin nitro finish so it is easy to damage. Another decade or two and it will be nicely reliced!

Another decade or two and it will be nicely reliced!

Some dings are seen as good relicing history, but the pointy headstock seems not soo good to look at, when damaged. It's a shame.
But it's a great guitar, I think I'll never sell that.

No, you're not the only one. Things happen when guitars get played live.

I bought a 2009 Smokeburst McCarty whose previous owner (here) had gigged it. An entire chip was missing out of the back of the headstock's tip (a collision with a cymbal, I think). Live show, so forget about finding the actual chip.

He had his guitar guy sand it smooth and stain the raw wood to match. Looks okay, not perfect.

He fully disclosed on resale - it didn't bother me - and the guitar itself is a gem. Battle scars.

=K

Dunlop Dual Design Strap Locks https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...plok-dual-design-strap-retainer-system-nickel

The first thing I do when a guitar arrives, after ogling and playing, is take off the stock strap buttons, put them in the case, and put on a set of these. I literally order a matching set when I order a guitar if I don’t already have them. I recently put up 12 guitars on the wall using String String hangers, and have 12 of the Dunlop strap buttons coming so I can mount the straps right next to the guitar they go with (yes, each guitar has its own).

A headstock ding is good luck when a strap lets go. Many times the headstock cracks or comes off entirely. Nothing is failsafe, but this is the best insurance I have found.

Aaaaaaahhhh...strap buttons...and strap locks...Many a thread have been written...A quick, cheap answer is to lengthen the slit above the hole in your strap to make sure it wraps around the PRS button COMPLETELY.
Or...Enlarge the hole in the strap on each end a bit. An acoustic guitar maker (rhymes with Baylor) sells nice straps with a larger hole that fits PRS buttons rather nicely...and they are secure.

Hey Shawn...I'd certainly buy a few if PRS made some straps with larger holes.

My personal solution is to add a felt washer or two under the strap button. This provides extra clearance and makes it easier to get the strap over the button.

Back