I am stupid for for doing this?

Pseudohobbit

Thanks to a lot of help in here, I’m going on a wait list for a 594 unless I can find a gently used one in a color I like in the next month.

I am trying my best to avoid another G**** LP, but I want that sound in my arsenal. I haven’t played the 594, so I’m taking a big chance on it, but I’m wondering if I could get 594 AND an SC245, latter used, and swap the pickups to something modern and hot like burst buckers. The 594 gets the clarity but I want to have something else that gets that midrange grunt.

Should I just get a 594 and LP, 594 and SC245, or is the 594 going to do what I want? I’m looking at a SC 594 btw with the new + pickups.

I am not sure but you can check out Phil McKnight's video comparing PRS pickups you can buy to see if you prefer the sound.

He doesn't use a PRS guitar to test. He has a hot swap pickup guitar.

I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed with a SC594 in place of a Les Paul, but opinions do vary. As noted above, there are tons of demo and comparison videos available. And while hearing them on YouTube audio isn’t giving you an accurate tone reference, it does lend itself to side by side comparisons, so you can get an idea. On the plus side, if you don’t like the 58/15LTs, you can likely sell or trade them for pretty much any other set out there.

I’ve got a fat necked Tele that can get that sound through the right amp/model

my advice is to get over that mindset. If you’ve got to have a Les Paul through a Deluxe Reverb, get a Les Paul & a Deluxe Reverb.

However, I think you’d be much happier learning how to get the sound you want out of the gear you love.

Tone is in your fingers. Your gear needs to not hold you back, but a 594 and a good amp will get you where you want to be. The rest is up to your fingers.

Back