I am specing a PS, questions...

rickcard71

Can PRS do their trem in black?

Swamp Ash for the body of the guitar. I know I can Google it, but I would rather get answers here. Give me the tonal qualities compared to Mahogany?

I saw in the PS thread, they can clear coat some sparkle colors, I saw purple and red I think. Can they sparkle black on a clear coat? What options are there?

Can / Will they wire out-of-phase as a switch option?

Ebony pup rings?

Can you pay for extra pups in case the ones you get with it are not the best for that guitar. Example: 59/09s in the guitar, can I pay for uncovered 57/08s and uncovered DGTs?

Will they install a Tremolo-No?

I believe I’ve seen a black trem.

Swamp ash to mahogany I can’t answer. I have both but other aspects of the guitars are too different to say what comes from the wood.

I’ve seen sparkle black clear coated. No idea how many sparkles they have, but I’ve seen many.

Out of phase switching - probably.

Ebony pup rings - probably

I’m certain they will sell you extra pups. I have one with spare tuners.

Tremolo-no - no idea. I wouldn’t if I was them.

You would really want to talk to PRS or a dealer. Even if they have done some of this in the past, or. conversely, not done them, the options may have changed for future builds. I would, however, guess that almost anything is possible at a price.

For body wood, mahogany has a very strong midrange presence, with softer highs and lows. It will sound darker than swamp ash, which has more highs and high mids and a very snappy tone. Think Telecaster for swamp ash. Most singlecut guitars are mahogany.

There will be endless debate about how much the body vs. the neck affects the tone. As such, a maple neck vs a mahogany neck is also something to consider.

And then the pickups.

To channel Les, I'll recommend you try the various wood and pickup options such as you are able. Nobody can tell you what you'll prefer.

Swamp ash tends to be more snappy and bright than mahoghany. However, my friend's newest CU24 Semi Hollow has a swamp ash body with maple cap, and maple neck. I think the semi-hollow really tones down the snappiness.

His SAS Narrowfield is a snap dragon! Which is awesome

It's kind of hard to capture in a picture, but yes, they will do black trem. This one has black chrome trem, trem arm, mounting screws, and springs. Pick up covers are as well. It's really hard to tell in the outdoor pics, and I don't have any indoor pics of it. I no longer have this one, or I would take some additional pics for you.

WCc32ct.jpg

Xk9PDHe.jpg

Back