I am new here and need some input..

Wildebassman

Hello fellow guitarists,

I am new here, I live near Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
I have been a tele and strat player for almost all my playing life but now want to add a different flavor to those two.
I am trying to decide between a Custom SE and a S2 Standard 24.

I have a few questions,
Is the S2 worth the extra money?
Is a low fast action possible on the S2? Because it's a rather thin body is the guitar neck heavey and prone to neck dive?
If I would decide for an S2 custom (maple cap), what differences can I expect between that guitar and the standard.

Input much appreciated!

Dennis.

1. S2 is worth the extra money.
2. You should have no problem getting it set up to your preferences.
3. Using strap while standing, I have never played an unbalanced PRS. Sitting, some of the single cuts tend to be bottom heavy. What I notice more is the shift of my hand positions to the left with the 24 fret guitars.
4. The maple will theoretically brighten the sound and give a little more immediacy to the attack. Some hear tonal differences more than others. The S2 standard has a pick guard, which to me gives a difference playing experience than a wood top. Some experience static from the plastic pick guard. I have with a couple Fender guitars, but not with my PRS with a pick guard.

1. S2 is worth the extra money.
2. You should have no problem getting it set up to your preferences.
3. Using strap while standing, I have never played an unbalanced PRS. Sitting, some of the single cuts tend to be bottom heavy. What I notice more is the shift of my hand positions to the left with the 24 fret guitars.
4. The maple will theoretically brighten the sound and give a little more immediacy to the attack. Some hear tonal differences more than others. The S2 standard has a pick guard, which to me gives a difference playing experience than a wood top. Some experience static from the plastic pick guard. I have with a couple Fender guitars, but not with my PRS with a pick guard.

Thanks for your input!

Maybe a bit of a drive, but try out Dijkmans (with an S at the end) in Breda, they carry quite a few PRS guitars

Maybe a bit of a drive, but try out Dijkmans (with an S at the end) in Breda, they carry quite a few PRS guitars

yes, they keep a good stock usually. Bought from them also in the past :cool:

And if you've got the cash go for the S2. It's a step up from the SE range. In my opinion you should buy the best that your budget allows..

If you don't mind the more understated look (I love it), go for the S2 and don't look back.

Why pay extra if, for example, the S2 also carries the import version of core pickups? Because it is just a better built, precise instrument. The fretwork is really good, it sustains and stays in tune really well.

Hello fellow guitarists,

I am new here, I live near Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
I have been a tele and strat player for almost all my playing life but now want to add a different flavor to those two.
I am trying to decide between a Custom SE and a S2 Standard 24.

I have a few questions,
Is the S2 worth the extra money?
Is a low fast action possible on the S2? Because it's a rather thin body is the guitar neck heavey and prone to neck dive?
If I would decide for an S2 custom (maple cap), what differences can I expect between that guitar and the standard.

Input much appreciated!

Dennis.

Number one question in my mind is do you want a wide thin or pattern regular neck. SE W/T S2 pattern regular. The biggest reason I choose SE over S2. There are others but it comes down to that. There are a couple S2's I think about but pass them over every time for something else. There's a video floating around somewhere about the Indonesia factory and it mirroring the Maryland process and pointing out differences. Its an interesting watch.

Back