I am going to mod my PRS...

Raymond

Anyone else have a PRS SE One? I recently picked one up, it already has a massive knock to the side that someone filled it with resin so the guitar was rather cheap and bought as one to leave out and about. No worry about it getting damaged.

I love it but it is rather bright, so plan to add a tone pot. Anyone else done the same? Advice to give?

I already bought 2 CTS pots, a cap and a new pickguard off eBay so going to keep all the parts in the guitar original. Just going to take it out and store it.

xuTQ2Go.jpg

adGjr4s.jpg

ElVZird.jpg

Last edited:
What’s wrong with modding cores?

Mod away! I did a lot to my SE One prior to selling it to a friend of mine.

There is nothing stopping anyone from modding a core guitar, but core guitars were made to not require mods. SEs are compromise guitars. Granted, the compromises are smart, but they are still compromises.

There is nothing stopping anyone from modding a core guitar, but core guitars were made to not require mods. SEs are compromise guitars. Granted, the compromises are smart, but they are still compromises.

Everything is personal taste in my opinion. It’s the sum of all the parts that truly makes the guitar special. I’ve modded all of my PRS’ to some degree.

I’ve modded everything. My One got a concentric pot with a V-Treb and a Gibson minihummer. It’s one bada$$ed mammajamma. The CU24 is missing a neck pickup. Mister Clean is total slut and had every pickup known to PRS kind. The SE245 has a great set of Antiquities. I could go on and on…

I modded mine... I took off the hang tag. :)

Seriously, though, mods are cool if they make the guitar more what you want it to be. As @Em7 noted, the cores are set up to be ready to rock without having to "fix" them with mods, but you can still make them your own. I'm contemplating a pickup change in one of my cores right now!

I've seen a number of guys add the tone pot. Nice mod.

I modded mine... I took off the hang tag. :)

Seriously, though, mods are cool if they make the guitar more what you want it to be. As @Em7 noted, the cores are set up to be ready to rock without having to "fix" them with mods, but you can still make them your own. I'm contemplating a pickup change in one of my cores right now!

Less “fixing” more enhancing :D

Don't worry, it's not my Core guitars!

Anyone else have a PRS SE One? I recently picked one up, it already has a massive knock to the side that someone filled it with resin so the guitar was rather cheap and bought as one to leave out and about. No worry about it getting damaged.

I love it but it is rather bright, so plan to add a tone pot. Anyone else done the same? Advice to give?

I already bought 2 CTS pots, a cap and a new pickguard off eBay so going to keep all the parts in the guitar original. Just going to take it out and store it.

xuTQ2Go.jpg

adGjr4s.jpg

ElVZird.jpg

I always mod my guitars, not because they need it but I like to make them mine. A @Bowtiefanatc said think of it as enhancing. @Em7 while I agreed that PRS core guitars shouldn't generally require modding then there would be aftermarket for core pickups and hardware and John Mann and PRS wouldn't offer them

Update - New pick up - Monty's 54 from England. It is unpotted, modelled on Gibson's 54 Les Paul P90.

Added a Tone pot with 0.22 cap, 500k CTS pots, PRS knobs.

It's brilliant. Everything the SE One was but more. The new electronics removed the harshness/brightness cut at the very top end, tone knob makes it now very flexible if it needs to be. Wonderful guitar!

xP30DEY.jpg

aKI2kxD.jpg

Last edited:
But it’s been repeated so much that it must be true, eh?

If I were a betting man, I’d wager that it probably did stand for Student Edition when the product line was developed. That would explain why so many publications refer to it that way. Student Edition certainly got a pass in Dave Burrluck’s ‘Complete History of the PRS Guitar’ (page 109 of the updated version).

But now that the SE line has evolved and improved, I think they’re distancing themselves from the suggestion that they’re targeting beginners. Its a compelling argument if there are no ‘official’ PRS materials that call it Student Edition.

Last edited:
Back