I am forming an exploratory Crackwood committee...

Rosewood neck gives noticeably extra low ends to the sound while trading off with brightness of the tone. I'd call this a dark sounding tonewood. And given that PRS always put low output pups on RW-necked guitars, most PRS with RW necks will sound dark than mahogany-necked counterparts. It's not for everyone, to be honest.

Yes, you can still use it any occasions, but you can't deny that the guitar sound obviously different than the most.

My ME Quatro has been equipped with high output Bare Knuckle Aftermath set. These wonderful pups brighten up the sound a lot, while the extra lows from its RW neck does add extra 'meat' when distorted.

PeZI7pJ.jpg

WylJ5fl.jpg

A member here, who works for a retailer, told me that “If I ever played a rosewood neck PRS, I’d want to replace all my other guitars with rosewood versions of the same thing.” I wondered, if it’s that great, why aren’t they all rosewood? He said that as great as any PRS I had was, in his opinion, once I tried rosewood, I’d never go back. So, I wondered... if rosewood is that great.... you know the rest.

It's true, rosewood is cool, but it's different in the lower midrange; it's a little more pronounced in that range. I've had a couple of them.

I actually came to prefer the sparkle of a mahogany neck. Hey, everyone's different; but that would be one reason why they aren't all rosewood.

ebony board on mahogany used to be IT; now everything’s baked and twisted.

Rosewood fiends gonna fiend.

And I count myself among them.

I intend to spend some serious time comparing my favorite RW neck guitars to not-RW neck guitars. Which is probably doomed to confusion (or outright failure) because the pickups are so different (the hot(-ish) 59/09s are in the RW guitars).

But... well.. science!!

Bringing this thread back. Without pics. At the moment. Anyway I scored a 594 sc soapbar with a killer rosewood neck a while back. Oh yeah it's an artist model too. It's awesome!!!
Pics or it's a Daisy guitar!

A McCarty with a rosewood neck. I also have a McCarty soapbar with a rosewood neck. Which I’ve seen called a Rosie McSoapy. But I don’t use that term. That often.
Indeed, I have one of those. In Korina. So it gets all kinds of variations:

Rosie Soapy McKorina
Korina Rosie McSoapy
McRosie Soapy Korina

Not sure what the "official" (lol) forum nickname is - could be one of those, could be something else.

Pics or it's a Daisy guitar!

Indeed, I have one of those. In Korina. So it gets all kinds of variations:

Rosie Soapy McKorina
Korina Rosie McSoapy
McRosie Soapy Korina

Not sure what the "official" (lol) forum nickname is - could be one of those, could be something else.

“Heeeeeyyyy! McKorina”

I didn’t go back and read this whole post.
When exactly did Crackwood cease being just Brazilian rosewood necks and become any type of rosewood used for a neck?

I didn’t go back and read this whole post.
When exactly did Crackwood cease being just Brazilian rosewood necks and become any type of rosewood used for a neck?
Braz is still Crack, but availability means many can’t access it...so they are seduced by others and never know what they missed. A good high is still a good high.

Back