I am done selling on Reverb: PRS Tremonti MT-15 saga

The amp was not modified, which implies someone other than the factory did something to it, it was COMPLETELY stock.
A modification is any change done to a completed circuit board. An amp can 100% come from the factory "modified". The photos and information from PRS tell us that it was a modified circuit.

A modification is any change done to a completed circuit board. An amp can 100% come from the factory "modified". The photos and information from PRS tell us that it was a modified circuit.
I know what a modification is. I built and modified amps for years. This was not a modification, it was a change made in production. I'm not arguing semantics with you. The amp was COMPLETELY factory stock.

PRS calls it a modification in their response so you can call it semantics if you want to. A "change in production" would result in new PCB boards with no modifications. In this case the original boards were modified by PRS to address some noise issues. It is clear from the photos that there were modifications made so it is not bizarre at all that a buyer would question that if they saw it.

PRS calls it a modification in their response so you can call it semantics if you want to. A "change in production" would result in new PCB boards with no modifications. In this case the original boards were modified by PRS to address some noise issues. It is clear from the photos that there were modifications made so it is not bizarre at all that a buyer would question that if they saw it.
No, not bizarre. I'd ask questions also... but once it's made clear that it was done at the factory and all of them are like that, and no changes were made by the seller, then any "recourse" is voided. The whole pretense of the "I opened it up and it's been modified, I want my money back" ISSUE, is that some previous owner messed with it, didn't say so in their sale ad, and sold it under false pretenses, and that IS NOT THE CASE.

I just find it interesting that everyone wants to jump to the conclusion that this buyer was a scammer. Why shouldn't we jump to the same conclusion about the seller? Why not assume that they sold it knowing that the LED lights weren't working? We don't because we give the benefit of the doubt to the seller (and they are a forum member). I am just saying we should give that same benefit of the doubt to the buyer. If the LED did get messed up in shipping then they had a legit reason to look inside. And once inside we all know that the original factory board was modified by PRS to deal with an issue. So we know that they weren't wrong in saying a modification had been made. Beyond that Reverb acted on what they knew. The seller was not forced to refund the money so there was no harm done to the OP. Whatever happens beyond that is between Reverb and the buyer. We have no idea whether that buyer contacted Reverb about refunding the reimbursement. That is assumptions on the part of the posters here who want to make him a scamming thief. The OP has not lost a thing in this transaction.

I just find it interesting that everyone wants to jump to the conclusion that this buyer was a scammer. Why shouldn't we jump to the same conclusion about the seller? Why not assume that they sold it knowing that the LED lights weren't working? We don't because we give the benefit of the doubt to the seller (and they are a forum member). I am just saying we should give that same benefit of the doubt to the buyer. If the LED did get messed up in shipping then they had a legit reason to look inside. And once inside we all know that the original factory board was modified by PRS to deal with an issue. So we know that they weren't wrong in saying a modification had been made. Beyond that Reverb acted on what they knew. The seller was not forced to refund the money so there was no harm done to the OP. Whatever happens beyond that is between Reverb and the buyer. We have no idea whether that buyer contacted Reverb about refunding the reimbursement. That is assumptions on the part of the posters here who want to make him a scamming thief. The OP has not lost a thing in this transaction.
Probably because the seller took pictures before they shipped it specifically of the LED lights working, no benefit of the doubt needed.

I have no idea when those photos were taken. (I am not in any way shape or form saying that I think the OP lied about this issue. I am just pointing out that it's easy to make a villain out of either party if you want to). If we assume that the buyer was not scamming and just had legit concerns that have proven to be non-issues then they did nothing wrong reporting it and Reverb did nothing wrong because they did not take funds from the seller. What is everyone mad at the buyer for? That they got to keep the amp? That's between them and Reverb. None of us know what transpired after the reimbursement. I think the fact that the buyer is openly selling it on the Reverb platform that they contacted Reverb and Reverb told them to keep it.

I have no idea when those photos were taken. (I am not in any way shape or form saying that I think the OP lied about this issue. I am just pointing out that it's easy to make a villain out of either party if you want to). If we assume that the buyer was not scamming and just had legit concerns that have proven to be non-issues then they did nothing wrong reporting it and Reverb did nothing wrong because they did not take funds from the seller. What is everyone mad at the buyer for? That they got to keep the amp? That's between them and Reverb. None of us know what transpired after the reimbursement. I think the fact that the buyer is openly selling it on the Reverb platform that they contacted Reverb and Reverb told them to keep it.
And I have no idea if the buyer broke the LEDs when they opened up the amp. If we are just ignoring anything as fact and operating completely on hypotheticals than sure, this story can go either way.

That was kind of my point. With the buyer we are running almost entirely on assumptions and hypotheticals. Since Reverb never took the money from the original sale I am not sure why there is anger at the buyer or Reverb.

Yeeesh, i'll consider myself forewarned with regard to Reverb... sorry this happened to you, but it looks like you got a resolution.

Probably because the seller took pictures before they shipped it specifically of the LED lights working, no benefit of the doubt needed.
Is that true? I have not seen any pictures from the seller with the LEDs working on this exact amp. I have seen pictures from the buyer with two of the blue LEDs not working. The picture in the first post on this thread from the seller, shows two blue LEDs not working.

Is that true? I have not seen any pictures from the seller with the LEDs working on this exact amp. I have seen pictures from the buyer with two of the blue LEDs not working. The picture in the first post on this thread from the seller, shows two blue LEDs not working.

I posted those photos - not sure if it is the angle but all the LED's worked - there are plenty of photos online of the MT-15 where it seems those left-most blue LED's are not lit

I just find it interesting that everyone wants to jump to the conclusion that this buyer was a scammer.
That part is simple: When someone sends a perfectly functional item to someone who then claims something is wrong with it, the first two assumptions are either "shipping damage" or "scammer." If the box and external parts of the item are damaged, we know it's shipping. But if no issues on the box, no issues on the outside of the item, then something is up. Yes, something could have been jarred loose in shipping without any external damage. But sellers have ever reason to be leery. If I ship something that works perfectly and you tell me something is wrong with it, it better be something that traces easily to shipping. Tubes jarred loose, etc... If not, I'm not likely to trust your word when I know mine was 100% true and there is a very slim chance that something else happened inside the amp, while in shipping.

I'm trusting by nature, but am quickly learning to adapt to the new breed of online buyer scammers. Read my story about my son in law above. And, a similar thing happened to me EVEN WHEN SELLING LOCALLY on Craigs List. My boy Bodia gave me such a good deal on a Mark V that when I decided to move it along, I figured I'd be splitting a $400-500 profit on it with him, but didn't want to ship it and was only getting trade offers for months on it. Finally got someone offer me just a couple hundred more than I paid Bodia and I took it. A few days later, he called me and said the reverb didn't work and we needed to talk about what to do about it. A freaking Mark V in perfect condition for $1300... and we need to talk about it.... First, I NEVER used the reverb on the amp, as I had a pedal in the loop for that. But a week before I sold it, in one last attempt to make sure I wanted to sell, I went through all the modes again and while in Tweed mode I did turn on and up the reverb and it worked perfectly. His first offer was that he would take it to a tech, and I'd pay the repair bill. No way! I wasn't going to get stuck with a $200 or more bill. I'd buy the amp back. But I didn't want the amp back and had no other buyers. After 3 days of back and forth, he said he'd take $100. I said I'd think about it and still might just take the money back because I knew it would sell online for $1700 or more. I also told him that I knew it worked when it left me, and for the price I sold it to him for, he should considered leaving it as is. He said no, it didn't work the first time he tried it, and so I had misrepresented the amp as 100% working. Two days later, he calls again and says he called a tech and the guy wanted $75 just to look at it, plus parts and $65/hr for any needed fix. He said if I paid him $200, he'd call it good and take it in and pay for the repair himself. I said "no way I'm selling that amp for $1100 total (like Bodia did, and I would have sold it to anyone here for that as well). I had already bought other amps and actually used part of this money for the Atomic AA12 which was on sale, so my play fund was down to $500-$600. I told him I'd give him $100 and no more. 3 days of texts and emails later, I told him I'd give him $150 just to get rid of the guy, and he has a friend meet me to pick up the cash... didn't meet me himself. Needless to say, from the time this started, I simply got more and more and more suspicious. If I hadn't bought the AA12, I would have said "bring it back. $1300 is too cheap and I never should have sold it to you for that even if the verb didn't work."

6 months later, some guys posts a "watch out for this buyer" ad in the music gear for sale section of Craigs List. Saying that he sold him perfectly functioning gear and even after coming way down on the price, the guy bought it and immediately claimed something was wrong... but he'd keep it for a partial refund of payment. When the add ran, 6 other people complained that he had done the same thing to them. Amps, guitars, pedals, etc. Always something is wrong and I'll keep it but give me part of my money back and I'll get it fixed... 2 days later the thread was nuked, but I saw it and it proved I was right all along about him. I'm sure there were others who he got because he buys a lot of gear. Since I still had all his texts, I texted him and asked him if he saw that on Craigs List. I also said "I know that reverb worked right before I sold you the amp. It still worked fine when you got it, didn't it?" Needless to say, he didn't answer.

Tube amps are one of the easiest items to have something knocked out of whack in shipping. Everything you said about him is still making assumptions. The buyer provided photos and (as pointed out many times) PRS backed up the fact that YES the amp was modified at the factory. So as far as I can tell other than questioning the claim about how the LED lights ended up not working there is nothing to point to the fact that the buyer was a scammer.

This could go on a while.

The unfortunate fact is that there’s a subset of buyers out there that have come to believe it’s acceptable to renegotiate price after the sale has been completed. I think these people aren’t particularly honest or ethical. Others may see things differently—life takes all kinds, even the ones we’d all be better off without.

Last edited:
Relisted, differnet price, condition, and description. Some people. Free amp for being wrong and now selling it for a profit.

I am frustrated with Reverb but for different reasons. If you sell an item over $1500 they force you to buy insurance to ship it ( forget what they call it) but it was not revealed to me until I was finalizing the listing. This covers you if the instrument is lost or damaged but I don't like it that it is automatic and non negotiable. Also I waited literally weeks to get the money for a 3500 sale due to a bank account # screw up. It was corrected on my end but still took forever fighting with their help "bots" on their chat line. I remember when they actually listed a phone number and had people to help immediately. Not anymore.

i’m as indignant as the next guy but lately everything i buy on reverb has delighted me.

Last edited:
I mean at the end of the day, Reverb footed the bill....

Not sure why there is so much discussion around this.

Imagine practicing half as much as justifying free sh!t

This isn't TGP. Agree or disagree with the ethics the only constant in the multiple ads by the "buyer" has been he didn't like the sound. At one point he even tried to sell the amp with half swapped tubes, Come on now..

If I get something for free when I'm in the wrong for my accusations I'm going to pay it forward. At the absolute least apologize to the seller.

Case closed. Let it die and play a guitar.

Back