I almost broke not one but two PRS guitars

WOAH! That looks great Casi! See you did it! It looks great AND you got to drink tequila...that's a win, win, win! Kudos!

Thanks! I did the 'nickel' height thing this evening and that definitely helped with the pickup height. Tone is back in the ballpark again... But still not exactly where it was originally. Its all good though. I really like the way the black rings look. Come to think of it, the only guitars that I've kept the cream rings on are my red korina and my SAS NFs. I guess I just prefer the black ones to the cream ones. Makes the guitars look more bad@ss and dangerous, lol.

Looks great.
The pain and suffering was worth it though:

vBAi5pJ.jpg

Alm
I thought this was going to be a thread about guitar straps slipping, resulting in broken necks.

Same here, One of the suede ones almost took out my first PRS! ( thanks to my cat like reflexes) it didnt. Since then...straplocks are an absolute must on any guitar I own, without exception!

Truth!
Especially since they have the little plastic nubs that hold the spring in place for you.
I was pleasantly surprised the first time I took the rings off of my PRS

Yup those little nubs would have been helpful if they had been on my new rings (which are non-PRS). The nubs are definitely a nice touch; I was surprised that they thought of that. Such a minor thing but such a big help.

The pain and suffering was worth it though:

vBAi5pJ.jpg

That looks incredible! Good for you! I’ve never understood the fascination with white pickup rings on a guitar that clearly has a black hardware vibe. @!$#, black is even in the name of the top color! :D

That looks incredible! Good for you! I’ve never understood the fascination with white pickup rings on a guitar that clearly has a black hardware vibe. @!$#, black is even in the name of the top color! :D

Lol. Yup you are right. That should be a rule... If black is in the color, then no white rings. Even a dark wood ring would be better than white.

The only thing I would change on this guitar now is that I'd prefer that the fretboard inlay border didnt exist... But that was a 30th anniversary thing and its not a big deal. I even like the mixed hardware on this one and I usually like just straight nickel.

Black rings looks great(that’s my preference too)!

Next time save a little misery:
1)measure the height of the pickup from the string

2)remove all strings

3)remove the 4 screws on each corner of the ring

4)assuming the pickups are still wired- cover your guitar’s top with a towel

5)put pickup in palm of hand and make the \m/ hand gesture around the pickup/ring to hold ring and pickup together

6)remove mounting screws/springs

7)pickup in hand, place screw thru new ring, spring over screw and align spring with pickup screw hole

8)gently squeeze together with hand while simultaneously having screwdriver in the mounting screw, pushing towards screw hole

9)once threaded a few turns, repeat on the other side

A couple other tips:
The spring doesn’t have to be too much longer than the screw. You can cut it down some to make it easier

Tequila between 4&5 and 6&7.

C'mon, vchizzle - what's the fun in having a logical, thought out process? Treat this stuff like Sergio treats his tuners - WING IT!

He's right, though - I always try to get a before pic/measurement to make it easy to get back to where I was.

Those little springs are right bastards. The last time I changed pickups, I finally figured out a good way to get everything back together somewhat efficiently. Haven't changed a pickup in over a year, I think - and don't have a clue what it was I did.

Good job out of you, casi1!

Sounds like you're ready to start doing your own re-frets. I would suggest you consume an entire bottle of tequila before you begin.

Back