I’m torn

horax

I have An amazing fender custom shop 63 strat nos in red heavy sparkle.
I currently have a ce 24 that’s amazing.
im considering selling the custom shop strat to pick up another prs. I’d like a McCarty 594 or maybe a custom core.

I just don’t know if it’s worth it or if the prs will be too similar to what I already have.
thoughts?

I’m assuming you’re talking soundwise? Get it and if YOU think it does you can always change the pickups. Sound and feel are very subjective qualities, especially when you’re talking guitars. Just look at all the varying opinions in all the threads in this forum.

I have An amazing fender custom shop 63 strat nos in red heavy sparkle.
I currently have a ce 24 that’s amazing.
im considering selling the custom shop strat to pick up another prs. I’d like a McCarty 594 or maybe a custom core.

I just don’t know if it’s worth it or if the prs will be too similar to what I already have.
thoughts?

The McCarty models are PRS more vintage/classic instruments inspired by 'Gibson' so unlike the CS Strat or CE24 you have - the Silver Sky is the Closest instrument to your '63' inspired Fender. The 594 is more like a 50's Les Paul - often regarded as the 'opposite' to a Strat.

No one can answer whether you should sell and/or buy whatever instruments (regardless of brand/model) because only you know if you will get what you want, what you prefer, what you think is 'worth' it. If you don't use your CS Strat and its just sat there with your money tied up in it doing 'nothing' for you, then selling it and buying a 'cheap' Squire that basically does the 'same' thing but you actually play it more is worth doing. If you sell a guitar to buy one you use 'less' or doesn't work for you as well as the guitar you are selling, its never worth it and you'll probably end up with 'the one that got away' story until you find 'something' that fills that gap.

Based on what you have - a CS Strat and Ce24 - a McCarty 594 is going to be a different vibe and perhaps 'compliment' the CS Strat. After all, a 'Les Paul' and Strat are often considered as 'essential' tones in Guitar music history and the 594 is a 'vintage' LP inspired instrument so would add to your tonal palette. The Ce24 is a very different instrument and the 24fret neck changes the position of the 'neck' HB relative to the bridge so will sound quite different to a similar scaled 22 fret guitar.

The only way you'll know if a Guitar is 'worth it' to you is by trying them and as we all have different preferences, different needs, different hearing etc, the ONLY one who'll know if its 'worth it' for you is you...

All I can do is tell you that a 594 is different to both your guitars so if you 'lose' your Strat and what it offers, the 594 is not going to replace that or step on the toes of your Ce24 but whether its worth it or not depends on whether you'd prefer a more 'Les Paul' inspired instrument or not...

My motto...always buy, never sell.

If funds are so far out of reach that I'd have to sell a guitar to acquire another, I just don't buy the guitar until I have the funds to afford all. I will, however, take the sting of reaching a bit deeper in my pockets to afford a guitar I really want. If space were an issue, I guess I'd have to cross that bridge when I come to it...but I'm not quite there yet.

If it were me, I'd feel like if I sold the Strat (or any other guitar) that I REALLY loved for another guitar - especially a totally different kind of guitar - I'd just end up wanting that Strat again and my quest to try and replace that guitar would probably drive me nuts.

This is all just me, though. I say buy what makes you happy and inspires you to create music. Deal with the sting afterwards.

If you really like the strat, keep it. Unless you are looking at picking up a Silver Sky or Fiore it will be much different than strat. If you have other strats that you also like, then maybe it could work for you. There are definitely variations in feel and tone across the PRS models but the SS and Fiore are the only ones in the strat camp. If you don't like the strat and want something very different, you could achieve that with no issues.

OP I just sold 2 HSS strats to fund a PRS but they are both easily replaceable...regret can be a *****...only sell if you truly don't love it...

Every guitar is different, of course. The question is always, "How different do you want it to be?"

I don't care for the tone of a Strat in my hands at all, so for me the choice would be a PRS of some kind. I'd consider something hollow or semi-hollow if you want 'very different'.

If it's "I want something a little different," then it's hard to beat a 594.

There are many many "amazing" guitars out there. On a very rare occasion you will find something that you connect with, something with an indescribable "mojo" an instrument that allows you to soar / one that has great sentimental value. These are ones that you hang on to, everything else is tradable / replaceable.

Every guitar is different, of course. The question is always, "How different do you want it to be?"

I don't care for the tone of a Strat in my hands at all, so for me the choice would be a PRS of some kind. I'd consider something hollow or semi-hollow if you want 'very different'.

If it's "I want something a little different," then it's hard to beat a 594.
Maybe split the difference and grab a semi-hollow 594, love mine.

If it's an amazing Strat, I wouldn't let it go. They're not all created equal. It took me a long time to get to two that I truly love.

The 594 will be quite a bit different from both your current guitars or a CU24, so really the solution is to get to a point where you can afford to keep all three.

If you really love the Strat I would stick with it if it is just good get the 594 and start looking for a used Silver Sky , Love my Strats but the SS for me is the best I have ever owned.

There are many many "amazing" guitars out there. On a very rare occasion you will find something that you connect with, something with an indescribable "mojo" an instrument that allows you to soar / one that has great sentimental value. These are ones that you hang on to, everything else is tradable / replaceable.

Did you get a refund?

Did you get a refund?
On the 88 cu24? It's ongoing. It is being picked up by ParcelForce tomorrow. I have been in regular contact with the High Value Claims Team from Ebay and they say it is cut and dry in so much that under buyer protection the guitar did not match the description due to the non disclosure of the break in the neck and the strong evidence that the neck has been poorly reset and the seller has 48 to fully refund and if not eBay will.

The seller has threatened me if the guitar is not returned in the same condition in which it was supplied! Sadly it is not as the amateur refinishing job on the back of the neck on top of the original finish was being taken off with light pressure from my thumbnail! I am not willing to make bad the shoddy work and I am confident that it constitutes fair testing. I have carefully documented it in photographs and by video.

If you look at my other videos I have documented more of the damage / "modification" of the trem!!!

eBay's stance is that if they consider that the guitar has been devalued they will compensate him under seller protection. They have seen the videos and the photographs in the message chain

All in all it has been quite an ordeal. The seller booked collection before I had taken delivery of the shipping box, accused me of sanding the neck and defacing the guitar!!!

Back