I’m getting OWNED on TGP!

Once I joined the Navy, all verbal shields were dropped and every swear word imaginable became part of every sentence spoken.

ha, I grew up in the car business. My first day in the "shop" area washing cars, I heard more cuss words in one day than I'd heard in my whole life prior to that. And, my dad warned me before I went in to not pay attention to the language. Funny thing though: With 10-12 mechanics, 3-4 cleanup guys, parts guys, body shop guys and a few others, the cuss words could be heard all over the shop and over the top of running equipment and all, but the second a woman walked in to pick up her car, you didn't hear one cuss word until she was gone. Even in the back, there were rules. My disappointment above is because there are no RULES for anything anymore. When a 20 year old girl can sit 5 feet from a 6 year old, and not recognize that its wrong to keep saying f-ing this and f-ing that... over and over, it's not my prudishness that's the problem.

Again, I said it A LOT when I was younger and hanging with my friends, but in public, never. On the internet for the whole world to see... never. posting "that's a f-ing cool guitar. Rock that f-er" come on...

Yeah, I get that and probably came off a little strong on my response. And as I said, how you talk around the guys is a whole different thing than how you talk around women or especially children. I have dropped more than a few Fbombs. Not nearly as much as I did when I was younger. And I have friends who say it over and over. It's not just saying it that I have a problem with. It's yelling it out loud for everyone to hear at a football game, or saying it 3 times in a sentence for NO reason, with a 6 year old sitting two people away from you...

I revised my post above. But that doesn't mean if someone yells it out near my wife or grandson they won't be asked to watch their language.

While there's a nugget of truth in that opening statement, it was more to set up the rest. There are definitely people who use it as a crutch, but there are also times when it's just the perfect word, even if you take away any shock value it might have. Billy Connolly did a great bit about it, explaining why he used it and how it could affect the rhythm and timing of a joke. And to be sure, there are sometimes it's just for the shock value - it can be a verbal slap in the face used to interrupt someone's thought process and get them to pay attention.

Used thoughtfully, it can have a lot of power. Used indiscriminately, it loses that.

Yeah, I get that and probably came off a little strong on my response. And as I said, how you talk around the guys is a whole different thing than how you talk around women or especially children. I have dropped more than a few Fbombs. Not nearly as much as I did when I was younger. And I have friends who say it over and over. It's not just saying it that I have a problem with. It's yelling it out loud for everyone to hear at a football game, or saying it 3 times in a sentence for NO reason, with a 6 year old sitting two people away from you...

I revised my post above. But that doesn't mean if someone yells it out near my wife or grandson they won't be asked to watch their language.
Going to a Lewis Black show not recommended.:eek::p

I grew up on Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy... I just didn't watch it with my daughter around. Again, big difference in me going to a movie, and someone spewing it loudly in public, and saying it in every sentence with no regard for who's around.

But that doesn't mean if someone yells it out near my wife or grandson they won't be asked to watch their language.

True story...I once witnessed my dad break a boat paddle over a guys head, at the lake. I was probably 8 or 9 and the guy was drunk and just continued using it in front of me, my mom and kid brother. I remember him asking the guy several times (politely) to watch his language. He did not...hence the boat paddle to the head. No...pops didn't play. Obviously, it was a different time, but I always think of that when I feel like dropping what is actually my favorite curse word.

True story...I once witnessed my dad break a boat paddle over a guys head, at the lake. I was probably 8 or 9 and the guy was drunk and just continued using it in front of me, my mom and kid brother. I remember him asking the guy several times (politely) to watch his language. He did not...hence the boat paddle to the head. No...pops didn't play. Obviously, it was a different time, but I always think of that when I feel like dropping what is actually my favorite curse word.
One of the things that kept me from saying or doing stupid things, was witnessing what my father would do to my brother for those same stupid things. One evening we were going out for dinner, and we were told to put on tshirts and a nice button down shirt. We managed to put on the button shirts. My dad saw my brother and an arguement ensued, which ended with my father picking up my brother and thrusting him through a wall. He didnt hit my brother, he simply picked him up by the armpits, shouted "you WILL put on a t-shirt" and neatly pushed him between 2 studs. I very quickly changed shirts.

Some people just don’t know how to turn it off.

My BIL is that way and will never change. Paco has already dropped a few F Bombs… I just deal with it trying to tell him he’s not in trouble for using it, but that it’s inappropriate.

But when it comes to the Internet? It’s a hellhole. Guitar forum behavior is not adopted anywhere else on it, and it’s not like 5 yr olds are reading walls of text on the merits of luxury guitar goods.

My BIL is that way and will never change. Paco has already dropped a few F Bombs… I just deal with it trying to tell him he’s not in trouble for using it, but that it’s inappropriate.

But when it comes to the Internet? It’s a hellhole. Guitar forum behavior is not adopted anywhere else on it, and it’s not like 5 yr olds are reading walls of text on the merits of luxury guitar goods.

Agree the internet is a mixed bag of all kinds of things. But just like I said things like I have said that word, but not in front of my parents, or wife or child, etc. Or that I watch Richard Pryor Live at the Sunset Strip or Eddie Murphy Raw, I don't watch it with my wife... or my grandson. And, I won't be playing them outside on Movie Night at the campgrounds!

My specific thing about people just spewing it randomly on the internet in places they shouldn't... on instagram last week, after the Bengals game they always post pics, etc. and there were multiple F bombs dropped from people just making short comments. There are EVERY week. But then I go over to a guitar player I follow, same thing. Then a guitar related brand... same thing. I have a hard time understanding why someone needs to drop 2 fbombs in a short sentence to reply that a new device looks cool, or that the receiver made a great play on that ball., etc. These are PUBLIC comments. A couple years ago, before any of you followed me, I got a reply from some random person on my instagram telling me how F-ing bad a$$ my Custom 24 was. A couple years before that, I had a short clip of guitar playing on Instagram. One day I noticed it had gotten some replies and I looked and at least 5 comments had Fbombs... I deleted their comments at first, and when I got more, deleted the post. Again, if one of you PM's me here and uses that word, it wouldn't bother me a bit, but when I put a clip on there and my family and friends are all seeing it, I don't want the post littered with fbombs, even when they're compliments.

This rips my knitting. Adults that don’t have the respect for kids and how they’re parents are raising them.

On the whole we’re lucky here (some more than others eh brother?). Long may it continue.

True story...I once witnessed my dad break a boat paddle over a guys head, at the lake.
I once saw my dad kick out a ceiling light. Somebody questioned how real Bruce Lee jumping and kicking was, so my dad felt compelled to demonstrate a well aimed high kick. Only related to the topic in that a number of “f me”s followed.

Back