HX/DA INFO (and my NAD 50 W Head(s)) Share your HXDA knowledge with the world!

I’m pretty sure the paisley cabs can still be had, and there’s been talk of a new HXDA, but just talk so far. It’s a great amp, really great if you like that real Plexi sound. Looking forward o hearing your review!
Thanks so much for that info and absolutely... I'll post once she gets here!

Thanks so much for that info and absolutely... I'll post once she gets here!
Good God... The HXDA arrived and what an amazing, living, breathing generator of rock tones! It's a 2x12 30w that has two Greenback 25w speakers in her. It's DEAD quiet too.
Ive owned or still own so many high end, boutique or Marshall/Mesa/Fender amps over the years and this has to be among my top 3, probably along with my Friedman Wildwood Smallbox 50, which is my main gigging amp. I'm so tempted to bring this out to this weekend's gig, but we'll see... Still dialing it in and playing the hell out of it right now.
I have yet to hook it up to my Captor-X attenuator (which I use to send my signal to the board at gigs) to see how she sounds, but I'll have to do that....TBD

The wild-eyed look of discovery... it’s an HXDA thing. The sound is jaw-dropping, isn’t it? I’ve play mine through the V30 cab, and it does sound awesome, but there is something absolutely genuine about this amp through Greenbacks. I do wish I had a Marshall TV 4x12 full of them to run this into. Someday, my friends!

Glad you’re digging it!

The wild-eyed look of discovery... it’s an HXDA thing. The sound is jaw-dropping, isn’t it? I’ve play mine through the V30 cab, and it does sound awesome, but there is something absolutely genuine about this amp through Greenbacks. I do wish I had a Marshall TV 4x12 full of them to run this into. Someday, my friends!

Glad you’re digging it!
It really is! It's like a catalog of tones we all grew up with from Hendrix, to Zeppelin to Lizzy & early ZZ Top... In just 5 years, I've purchased (and mostly Flipped) 8 Bogner & Friedman amps... Looking for that magic "Marshall" thing... And each has their own flavor of it...but not really "it"... Heck, I still own 2 of the Friedmans (Wildwood 20 & Wildwood Smallbox 50)...this isn't even mentioning other brands that have come and gone... Way too many to count.

This HXDA really is a masterpiece of an amp. It's like having an opportunity to own a genuine classic, time-capsule Marshall that someone had in a closet since the late 60's...one that doesn't need or ever had mods... One that's dead reliable & built to last lifetimes. I really could kick myself for not having found this and the other amps by PRS/Sewell sooner.... Damn!

Which is another PRS amp that any of you would suggest I try next? I'm not a high gain player or if I do (say highest would be Van Halen)... I'd just push an amp with a pedal... I'm mostly classic rock.

Does the Grissom amp just give another variation of the "classic Marshall" thing?

... I'm addicted... May have to get rid of a couple of the 8 amps currently in the stable...

This HXDA really is a masterpiece of an amp. It's like having an opportunity to own a genuine classic, time-capsule Marshall that someone had in a closet since the late 60's...one that doesn't need or ever had mods... One that's dead reliable & built to last lifetimes. I really could kick myself for not having found this and the other amps by PRS/Sewell sooner.... Damn!

I couldn't have said it better ;)

Does the Grissom amp just give another variation of the "classic Marshall" thing?

Nope. I have both amps, and they're quite different.

The DG30 isn't based on a single amp - instead, it's a blend of attributes that David Grissom liked about his vintage Tweed, Vox AC30, Hiwatt, and vintage Marshall amps. It's kind of a 'greatest hits' amp, if that makes sense. While it can be driven into gain and kinda-sorta go Marshall-ish, it's different from the HXDA.

To get a good idea of how the amp sounds in a pretty crunchy mode (Grissom plays pretty crunchy), it's all over Grissom's album, 'How It Feels To Fly' that came out a couple of years ago. Listen to the title song, and you'll hear how the amp has a different voice from the HXDA.

I don't remember much, if any, clean tones on the record, though that's probably just my memory. However, the cleans are also very different from either Marshall or Fender cleans. They have more midrange, the pick attack is very fast, and it's altogether different from any of my other amps.

So it's kinda Tweed, but it doesn't fart out on the low end like an old Tweed amp; it's kinda Vox, complete with a cut control, but the low end is deep, unlike an old AC30; It's responsive to pick attack and has a rich midrange like an old Hiwatt; and the mids and overdrive tones are different from an old Marshall.

It also dials in differently, because the Master volume is pre-phase inverter. so the volume (gain), tone and Master are interactive. This makes it a little bit trickier to dial in, but once you get the hang of it, you're in business.

I would say it occupies its own tone world. I love both the HXDA and DG30, and am glad I got one of each.

From time to time, I've been an inveterate amp flipper, but I bought both of these amps in 2014 and wouldn't consider selling either one.

Nope. I have both amps, and they're quite different.

The DG30 isn't based on a single amp - instead, it's a blend of attributes that David Grissom liked about his vintage Tweed, Vox AC30, Hiwatt, and vintage Marshall amps. It's kind of a 'greatest hits' amp, if that makes sense. While it can be driven into gain and kinda-sorta go Marshall-ish, it's different from the HXDA.

To get a good idea of how the amp sounds in a pretty crunchy mode (Grissom plays pretty crunchy), it's all over Grissom's album, 'How It Feels To Fly' that came out a couple of years ago. Listen to the title song, and you'll hear how the amp has a different voice from the HXDA.

I don't remember much, if any, clean tones on the record, though that's probably just my memory. However, the cleans are also very different from either Marshall or Fender cleans. They have more midrange, the pick attack is very fast, and it's altogether different from any of my other amps.

So it's kinda Tweed, but it doesn't fart out on the low end like an old Tweed amp; it's kinda Vox, complete with a cut control, but the low end is deep, unlike an old AC30; It's responsive to pick attack and has a rich midrange like an old Hiwatt; and the mids and overdrive tones are different from an old Marshall.

It also dials in differently, because the Master volume is pre-phase inverter. so the volume (gain), tone and Master are interactive. This makes it a little bit trickier to dial in, but once you get the hang of it, you're in business.

I would say it occupies its own tone world. I love both the HXDA and DG30, and am glad I got one of each.

From time to time, I've been an inveterate amp flipper, but I bought both of these amps in 2014 and wouldn't consider selling either one.
Holy cow, just reading halfway through your description/review, I seriously was thinking "I'm getting it"... LOL... I have a problem. The fact that it is its own thing really checks the box for me....sonically unique is a great thing to have on hand, whether to mic & record or bring to a gig!

Thank you for that info and I'm downloading that album right now! Can't wait to check it out!

I VERY much agree... I'll be keeping this HXDA 2x12 amp forever. It is such a beautiful looking and sounding piece of gear... Mine has that paisley covering (maybe they all do?) and is so damn gorgeous.

Thanks again for your info! I'll be doing much research and listening to sound clips.

Although mine is just the 30w model 2x12...would you still? It has dual 25w Greenbacks, but would dual M75s not be pushed enough with the 30w model?
M75s are better Greenbacks. If you’re doing it right, they’d be pushed plenty. ;)

Nah, I can be serious any time I need too. :) There are certainly alternatives. Warehouse makes some great speakers for less. But when you have an elite amp, you should probably mate it with elite speakers, IMHO.
Ha... Wouldn't you know, I was literally on the Scumback website when I read your reply
... So the ones I want are the 20w M75's?
https://www.scumbackspeakers.com/m_series.html
... Not the "LD" or "PVC" models? Nor the 65w PVC models? I'm new to Scumback and there seem to be a few of the "M" models, but I've not heard or owned any of them.... The 20w models, they mention could catch on fire!... But sound like Paul Kossof... That tone would be sweeeet!?
Just a little confused with all the models

Ha... Wouldn't you know, I was literally on the Scumback website when I read your reply
... So the ones I want are the 20w M75's?
https://www.scumbackspeakers.com/m_series.html
... Not the "LD" or "PVC" models? Nor the 65w PVC models? I'm new to Scumback and there seem to be a few of the "M" models, but I've not heard or owned any of them.... The 20w models, they mention could catch on fire!... But sound like Paul Kossof... That tone would be sweeeet!?
Just a little confused with all the models

So, if you’re serious about this, talk to Jim. A 30 watt HX/DA is still pretty powerful. You may not want 2x25 watt M’s, especially if you go with the PVC voice coils. They sound more vintage, but don’t handle as much power. I’m totally quoting experts now, I have not tried those. Big Mike is a big Scumback guy and has tried multiple models. Maybe he can chime in.

That said, when you go to higher power versions of the M (or almost any speaker, for that matter) they have less treble and usually more solid lower end. Since the HX/DA is not (by any description I’ve heard) a “bright” amp, the brighter, lighter, lower wattage versions may be preferable. But the 65 watt versions should get you more bottom and less treble.

So, if you’re serious about this, talk to Jim. A 30 watt HX/DA is still pretty powerful. You may not want 2x25 watt M’s, especially if you go with the PVC voice coils. They sound more vintage, but don’t handle as much power. I’m totally quoting experts now, I have not tried those. Big Mike is a big Scumback guy and has tried multiple models. Maybe he can chime in.

That said, when you go to higher power versions of the M (or almost any speaker, for that matter) they have less treble and usually more solid lower end. Since the HX/DA is not (by any description I’ve heard) a “bright” amp, the brighter, lighter, lower wattage versions may be preferable. But the 65 watt versions should get you more bottom and less treble.
OK great info and thank you! I better not be hasty, and need to go down this dang rabbit hole of learning more about them..
Unless Big Mike, or someone who has tried a few, chimes in and says "With the HXDA... this is the one you want..."... Maybe I'll try giving them a ring tomorrow. I honestly have no reference... I've owned/own quite a few Celestion & WGS speakers... I've never had a single Scumback. Reading about their construction though, makes me want one! Lol... I can't help the gear whoring

OK great info and thank you! I better not be hasty, and need to go down this dang rabbit hole of learning more about them..
Unless Big Mike, or someone who has tried a few, chimes in and says "With the HXDA... this is the one you want..."... Maybe I'll try giving them a ring tomorrow. I honestly have no reference... I've owned/own quite a few Celestion & WGS speakers... I've never had a single Scumback. Reading about their construction though, makes me want one! Lol... I can't help the gear whoring
Well, I like the Warehouse speakers that I’ve tried as well. And some Eminence, and some Celestion. The Scumbacks are supposed to be about top of the food chain though.

What Warehouse speakers have you tried? I have an ET65 and really like it, and it would be great with the HX/DA.

Well, I like the Warehouse speakers that I’ve tried as well. And some Eminence, and some Celestion. The Scumbacks are supposed to be about top of the food chain though.

What Warehouse speakers have you tried? I have an ET65 and really like it, and it would be great with the HX/DA.
I have the exact one you mention, the ET65 in a 2x12. The other speaker is an Invader. Great combo, these 2. This is the cab I use with the Friedman Smallbox 50.
Another speaker combo I have is the Invader & the Vet 30...I have this in a Marshall 2x12.
Another speaker combo I have is an Invader + a Retro 30 in a 2x12...I play a Wildwood 20 through it.
I also have a Marshall Jubilee RI 2x12 which comes with two proprietary 70w Celestion (vs 60w) V30's... I play a Jubilee RI through it.... Sounds very good!

Those are the cabs I know of and own at the moment

Speakers are, indeed, a deep hole to dive down. I’ve got a closet full of them from swapping and “testing.” I’m very happy with the Greenbacks, so I’ve not been inclined to chase it beyond. But I’d sure try them if they were here!

I remember a friend who owned a shrimp boat, who had a sign on his wall that said “Boat: noun, A hole in the water, lined with wood or metal, into which you throw money.” Gear can be defined a lot the same way.

Back