HX/DA INFO (and my NAD 50 W Head(s)) Share your HXDA knowledge with the world!

I had a black one first, then got a paisley version. The second one was a special one-off, so I had to get it. That was my excuse. :)

And accepting offers…
ugh.... I'm in the middle of another "deal" right now that I wasn't going to mention until it's final, or I'd be calling them right now. That's only a little over an hour from me.

I had a black one first, then got a paisley version. The second one was a special one-off, so I had to get it. That was my excuse. :)

And accepting offers…

My first has the the green fabric tolex and I haven't seen another hxda wrapped with the same material. I've seen one 25th anniversary wrapped in that green though.

That Paisley is pretty cool, plus its the 50 watt.

I still want a 30 watt combo. Failed to pull the trigger on one when it was available, now my foot hurts from kicking myself.

I just picked up a Magnatone Panoramic Stereo which I barely found time to turn on. I’ll get to know it soon though. Princeton 65 Reverb Reissue has to be sold before I can look for an HX/DA. Might sell my PRS Custom 20 to get an HX/DA. The hunt must wait for now.

My first has the the green fabric tolex and I haven't seen another hxda wrapped with the same material. I've seen one 25th anniversary wrapped in that green though.

That Paisley is pretty cool, plus its the 50 watt.

I’ve seen that green covering in early pics, and it did look cool. I just about salivated when I saw the white/blue setup earlier in this thread. Beautiful.

I still want a 30 watt combo. Failed to pull the trigger on one when it was available, now my foot hurts from kicking myself.

I just picked up a Magnatone Panoramic Stereo which I barely found time to turn on. I’ll get to know it soon though. Princeton 65 Reverb Reissue has to be sold before I can look for an HX/DA. Might sell my PRS Custom 20 to get an HX/DA. The hunt must wait for now.

The first one I was going to buy was a paisley 50 watt 2x12 combo that I missed at $1600… I totally get the sore foot thing. Still makes me grimace. Interestingly, the tube layout and wiring are identical in the 30 and 50 at a glance, so I’m guessing it’s in the transformers and other components where the reining in comes along. I’ve never heard a recording of any wattage HXDA that didn’t sound great, so it’s hard to miss on them in my experience. Both of mine are 50 watts. The original was a head that I swapped into a pristine 1x12 combo cab, and it is a sweet little package. The other, the paisley one, was a custom version with a special history, and it’s stayed in its as-built form. Both have that surprise-you-to-unintentional-smiles-every-time-you-fire-it-up quality of sound. Just a wonderful design and execution, an instrument in itself really.

Last edited:
Intensity has picked up on the "other deal" so this is off the table for now. If the "other deal" works, I'll be posting it here.
Yeah, I’m tapped out too. Just upgraded to the Axe Fx III Turbo and Christmas is on the horizon. There’s finally an NF3 on Reverb at a semi-sane price, but I can’t swing another purchase for a while. That’s why I’m enabling instead!

One thing I’ve learned over the years playing Plexi’s or Marshalls or Germinos in general… They sound their best with Greenbacks, but they’re only 25 watts.. Scumback Speakers has solved this issue by reproducing 25, 65 and 100 watt versions of the Original English Greenbacks from the 60’s and 70’s.. they are called the M75 or M55 speakers.. They’re incredible sounding speakers, and if I was looking for an HX/DA, that’s what I’d be using for speakers.. and the 25 watters sound almost identical to the 100 watters.. English Mueller cones. Hand built in Prescott AZ.. I’ve been a customer of Jim’s at Scumback since he started… fantastic person. Incredible speakers.. it’s all I use with my BluGuitar Amp1’s and you cannot tell it from a Marshall. Incredible all analog technology…….
I’m sure the new HX amp and the David Grissom amp would benefit as well…..

Last edited:
Ok, Gurus...

I realize this is a taboo question on some forums, but can anyone share their EL34 bias setting? Once I get to a lull in playing, I’ll be checking all those things. I can just use the standard 65-70% of max EL34 numbers, but wondered if anyone has a favorite. I have SED/Winged C/Real Svetlanas in there, and will likely keep them as I am enjoying the tone.
Ideally you need to find out what the transformer plate voltage is putting out…

Ideally you need to find out what the transformer plate voltage is putting out…
That would be the correct way, for certain! I found a PRS build video where the tech mentions a “30” setting in each, and went with that. The video is somewhere earlier in this thread. There’s room in warmer and cooler directions for adjusting, but that ~30 is doing it for me with either NOS Siemens or SED-Winged C tubes.

I’ve seen that green covering in early pics, and it did look cool. I just about salivated when I saw the white/blue setup earlier in this thread. Beautiful.

I agree, that white one was gorgeous.

Haven't decided if I really "want" this paisley one and do I need a spare as I'm perfectly happy with the one I have.
I would have thought someone here would have scooped this one up.

Passing on an NF3?????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I’d go without groceries for an NF3!!
I know… I sold a beautiful white one, and it’s one of those “gonna regret it til I re-get it” things. The guy wants $1750 which, while far above where they were selling pre-pandemic-price-craze, is not unreasonable at the moment. Sorely tempted, but just not doing debt purchases these days so I have to keep the sword sheathed (wallet in pocket) and hold my line at the fort.

So much gear, so few Benjamins.

That would be the correct way, for certain! I found a PRS build video where the tech mentions a “30” setting in each, and went with that. The video is somewhere earlier in this thread. There’s room in warmer and cooler directions for adjusting, but that ~30 is doing it for me with either NOS Siemens or SED-Winged C tubes.
There you go…..:p:)

Well.......no one else wanted it :D

You got it literally minutes before I signed in to buy it! That’s ok, enjoy!

Edit - PS, just saw you have another - if it’s a spare for you, and you’d consider selling it to me, I’d be all over that. I’ve been searching for a 50 watt head for a bit, and have a matching paisley cab. But, if not, no hard feelings!

Last edited:
You got it literally minutes before I signed in to buy it! That’s ok, enjoy!

Edit - PS, just saw you have another - if it’s a spare for you, and you’d consider selling it to me, I’d be all over that. I’ve been searching for a 50 watt head for a bit, and have a matching paisley cab. But, if not, no hard feelings!
Paisley cab… so there is one out there…

Back