Humidification help needed

THAWK819

I’ve made my basement into my guitar man cave, and most of the year the temperature and humidity down there are great. It seems to stay around 65 degrees and around 45% humidity almost all the time.

Earlier this week, I saw the hygrometer down to 28% and freaked out. I put all my guitars back in their hard cases and bought a humidifier.

I have a McCarty .594 with a Brazilian rosewood fretboard and artist grade top that I keep on a stand down their most of the time so I can grab it and play whenever I want, but I’m afraid to take it out of the case again until the conditions down there are better. If that fretboard or finish cracks, I will be inconsolable.

I’ve already tried 2 different “large room,” programmable, humidifiers down there and neither could get the humidity above 32%, still well below the desirable range.

Does anybody have a good recommendation for a brand or model number humidifier?

Don’t worry about taking them out of the case to play. Just put them back when you are done.

I’ve had a Dyson humidifier for a few years. It works pretty well and is easy to use. I think they only have one model.

I’m in suburban Chicago and use a humidifier in both rooms that I hang guitars. I’m able to keep it around 40% in the dead of winter. I also have an electric clothes dryer that I vent into the house for extra humidity during the winter months, if you’re concerned, keep them cased.

I have been keeping it cased while the humidity is so low; but would really like the freedom to grab it off the stand anytime I feel like it like I do the rest of the year.

What type of humidifier do you use (Brand, model, size)? And does it keep the humidity where you want it?

I have a Air innovations Clean Mist Smart Humidifier. Tap water will destroy it (I destroyed my first one); you have to use purified water. And you have to clean it about every 3 or 4 water refills. It's good for about a 12x15 room. You'd have to get more for a bigger room.

I keep mine cased when not in use, and I throw a Boveda 49 pack in each case. Sometimes I replace the packs in my Taylors early and just throw the used ones in. Peace of mind. Easier to control a smaller s

Last edited:
Thanks! I presumed a hygrometer, but have no clue where to get a decent one.

You can get modular weather stations and add on bits. We got this one that has a battery powered thermostat and hygrometer module you just leave wherever. You could get one and have it for just your guitar room!

We got one of the La Crosse models.

I don't know , I have tried keeping my guitars at a more constant humidity but then when I took them out to play they were all over the place set up wise.
I do have a whole house humidifier but 30% is about all I can get without the upstairs windows icing up.
I hang mine out all year long and once a guitar settles in I just restring and oil the board once or twice a year never had an issue

Back