Humbucker vs Trembucker

Eddie kim

How much would it bother you guys if you put in a Humbucker on the bridge on a CU24? I know that the correct replacement should be a trembucker. Do you think it will have any effect in sound due to the magnetic being slightly off?

Eddie

How much would it bother you guys if you put in a Humbucker on the bridge on a CU24? I know that the correct replacement should be a trembucker. Do you think it will have any effect in sound due to the magnetic being slightly off?

Eddie

DiMarzio sent me a humbucker that was supposed to be a Trembucker this past December. It was in a trembucker box (they call it f-spaced), with a trembucker sticker. I had it all the way in the goddanged guitar and strung before I noticed. ARRGH. I pulled it out, packed it back up, and sent it back. It bothered me that much even though the sound was 100% fine!

NOPE. Does not bother me at this point. It's funny because on the Floyd Custom 24s, they put a regular spaced humbucker in. On my DW CE24 they have what appears to be an F-spaced Mojotone Tomahawk 2 pickup in the bridge. I guess PRS isn't manufacturing trem spaced pickups? I don't blame them...just another thing to offer. Better to keep it simple.

Either way, no harm no foul and really with high output pickups, no noticeable difference. People will claim so but I can't hear any difference through the whole volume knob cycle. Everything rings out perfectly and sounds great!

Last edited:
I don't think ALL bridge humbuckers (when the guitar has a trem) need to be Trembuckers. In fact, last I measured (considering a possible pickup swap in one of my PRS guitars bridge position) I thought the string spacing over the bridge-pickup was right around 50mm--which is standard-humbucker territory.

Hold up....I just measured both of my guitars with the callipers to be sure. It is a bit deceiving when you look at them. They are both at 50mm. Thus, they are both non-F spaced. So...regular spaced humbuckers. I remember on my last Custom 24 Floyd I had put in an F-spaced Dimarzio and all the pole pieces lined up perfectly under the strings. It's so close though on these that it would not matter. I remember on my Fender CS guitar that it was quite a bit off from the pole pieces. This is not bad at all so I can see why they leave it as such.

Back