Humbucker sized P90 recommendations

alex1fly

I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but search didn't bring anything back so I'm making a post. I'm curious about trying a humbucker sized P 90 (or two) in an all-mahogany Santana SE. I haven't done pickup swaps in several years so I'm looking for a little guidance in hopes of having a successful project!

1) Are there particular beloved pickup brands or Hum-sized P90 models on this board?

2) How do you ensure that a pickup will drop right into the existing pickup rings and the polepieces will sit right under the strings?

3) If I want one for the bridge and one for the neck, is it preferable to get a matched set?

4) Sometimes the screws that come with pickups are too long and butt up against the pickup cavity. Is there a technique for trimming the screws so that they're shorter but also remain easy to thread through the baseplate? I've trimmed screws before but the threads often end up getting mashed and are difficult to thread.

Thanks, Alex

Last edited:
Technically not a P-90, but this video sold me on these. I put them in a CE-24. Sounded awesome.

These will drop into the existing PRS rings.

I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but search didn't bring anything back so I'm making a post. I'm curious about trying a humbucker sized P 90 (or two) in an all-mahogany Santana SE. I haven't done pickup swaps in several years so I'm looking for a little guidance in hopes of having a successful project!

1) Are there particular beloved pickup brands or Hum-sized P90 models on this board?

2) How do you ensure that a pickup will drop right into the existing pickup rings and the polepieces will sit right under the strings?

3) If I want one for the bridge and one for the neck, is it preferable to get a matched set?

4) Sometimes the screws that come with pickups are too long and butt up against the pickup cavity. Is there a technique for trimming the screws so that they're shorter but also remain easy to thread through the baseplate? I've trimmed screws before but the threads often end up getting mashed and are difficult to thread.

Thanks, Alex

i’ve had some luck cutting special (usually metric with weird heads) screws to length with a dremel and and the super brittle cutting wheel.

I, personally, have a favorite winder. When it was time to buy some for my '17 Santana SE, I went with Zhangbucker. Sent him my desires and a couple of months later, I got some pickups that I really need to install sometimes soon. But, I've been super happy with the pickups I've bought from him in the past. I like working with winders to get the sound in my head... David P. form Zhangbucker has always done me right.

Most guys go with the usual suspects, Duncan, Lollar, etc. Nothing wrong with that!

Humbuckers are a standard size. Never seen one not fit.

Depends on what you want.... Back in the day, the pickups were in a big box and they just grabbed them out... They weren't matched, measured, nada. Just installed.

I do, however, tend to go for some kind of formula... usually looking for something a little hotter in the bridge.

Thanks, Alex

Cut 'em to length with a set of diagonal cutters, or a saw of some kind, then use a fine file to soften the end and ease the starting threads.

Bareknuckle make awesome pickups.. I have two Juniors with their Nantucket’s and a 2002 with their Peter Greens... awesome awesome awesome... however my two PRS guitars have fantastic original pickups so no change happening there !!

Fralin P-92's. There's an easy way to shorten the screws. Just find a nut that is exact screw size.Put it on, and screw it down close to the head of the screw. Cut the screw. When you remove the nut, it will also remove the burr where you cut the screw. It's a trick a jeweler taught me years ago.

Fralin P-92's. There's an easy way to shorten the screws. Just find a nut that is exact screw size.Put it on, and screw it down close to the head of the screw. Cut the screw. When you remove the nut, it will also remove the burr where you cut the screw. It's a trick a jeweler taught me years ago.

I've done that same trick but used the pickup itself as the "nut." Sounded crazy when somebody recommended it to me, but it worked great.

I’ve really been looking hard at the bare Knuckles Mississippi Queen set lately, I almost bought a set last week. I just need another guitar to put them in.

I took a chance on a couple of GFS 'bucker sized P90's... they sound way better than the should for what they cost! Drop right in, perfect fit. Very authentic P90 voicing.

I took a chance on a couple of GFS 'bucker sized P90's... they sound way better than the should for what they cost! Drop right in, perfect fit. Very authentic P90 voicing.

Glad to hear. I tried their gold foils and was really disappointed.

I put a Dimarzio Virtual P 90 in the neck position of this Santana on Friday, and have been grooving on it all weekend. I've had the pickup laying around for years so I figured, what the heck. Had to modify the baseplate - dremel to cut off the corners - so it would fit in the cavity. And while the screw holes don't quite line up with the pickup ring, so far it kind of sits there wedged between the edges of the pickup cavity. Tone is as to be expected - less mids than the stock HB, more responsive to dynamic attack, a little chimey in the high end. Surprisingly, it didn't add many highs... but it's been fun to access a Mayer/Frusciante thing in the neck with the hot fat humbucker sound in the bridge.

Back