Humbucker recommendations?

For the tone you're after SD JB/jazz would work nice for a reasonable price. 59/09 are some of my favorite humbuckers I've owned. The 85/15 is a great pickup on the more modern side

If i was going outside of the big names I can't recomend wolfetone enough. Drop Wolfe a message and tell him what sound you are after. The guy has a magic touch.
I might go with the Wolfe Tone option just for the historical reference!

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! Lots to choose from, for sure. At this point I think I'm deciding between the Thornbuckers and Wolfetones.

Last edited:
I was just coming in to recommend Wolfetone, the dude is indeed a pickup magician - and reasonably priced.

I couldn't agree more. He's a pleasure to deal with and nteresting conversation too. He's one of the few pickup winders I look for a guitar for his pickups vs the other way around.

I couldn't agree more. He's a pleasure to deal with and nteresting conversation too. He's the only pickup winder I look for a guitar for his pickups vs the other way around.

Not sure why the double post above but anyway.. More on Wolfetone. I ordered a custom wind pickup Sunday and it shipped yesterday! 48 hours for a custom pickup to be completed and shipped is amazing!

I just ordered a Humbucker set from Vaughn Skow who winds pickups in Nashville, TN. He describes the set as being specifically wound for PRS guitars. I came across a vid of Brian Wampler demo-ing a set and I thought they sounded great, so I ordered a set for an SE project guitar. Here's a link to the vid:

YES ! Based on the strength of this video, I bought a set of Vaughn Skow's "PRS Replacement Pickups" and are quite satisfied.

This is my first post !

I have owned a guitar since 1995, and I'm still struggling to know how to play it ! I'm a 30 year in the hobby Beginner , and never expect to be a "serious player". But I do enjoy the challenge and messing around with the instrument. and don't ask me how many more I have accumulated ... that I still can't play ! (with plans to acquire more!)

I was all set to buy an SD 59 Neck / Custom 5 set, which I am sure would satisfy as well, but this Wampler video (I am unfamiliar with his products, but I'm sure they are good) but this video, which more accurately represented my SE Custom 24, and the marked improvement made with the upgrade sold me. With them installed (by the local GC Guitar Tech) they do not disappoint. They preserve the original aural qualities (and appearance) of the 85/15S set, while not ever sounding "thin" or muddy" like the budget priced "s" versions can..I would say they excel when coil split. One can get some truly usable tones out of these when coil split ...

So , like many, I chose to upgrade the original "s" set. But I think it is important to remember, that the 85/15S set is provided in a "cost" effective" guitar. Yes, for an additional $200-300 dollars it can sound "better", but to come stock that way, would defeat the "cost effectiveness" of the product.. But it would be a really good instrument but then cost $700-800 dollars ...

Do the Skow's sound better than the other boutique pickups, or the SD offerings ? I have no way of knowing. BUT The Skow offering is a quality piece, at a reasonable price that provides a demonstrable difference. I like 'em And the tones presented in Wampler's video present an accurate, not overly processed presentation to give the listener an idea of what can be realized by installing them.

Duncan Antiquities are great (i have them on two LPs and an Albert Lee), if your budget is tighter than that, check out the Duncan Saturday Night Specials ... i put them on a S2 Custom ... really like the result.

Here’s an old clip I did of the Wolfetone Marshallhead A2 back in the early days of Axe FX 2. Very short clip, and very amateur playing. But it gives you an idea.

Here’s an old clip I did of the Wolfetone Marshallhead A2 back in the early days of Axe FX 2. Very short clip, and very amateur playing. But it gives you an idea.
Sounds awesome, dude! Thanks for sharing, definitely pushing me further in the direction of the Wolfetones.

Back