Humbucker recommendations?

layzeejaybee

Hello,

I'm pretty new to PRS and not exactly a veteran when it comes to guitars and specs. It's good to be here and thanks for humoring me.

I've recently acquired an SE Zach Myers. It came with humbucker-sized Tone Rider p90s, which I like, but I chose the ZM specifically because I wanted a good short-scale rock-n-roll guitar loaded with humbuckers. I currently don't have a guitar with humbuckers, so this is my designated one.

So, since I don't have the stock pickups, does anyone have any recommendations for a good set of humbuckers for a post-1980s hard rock and metal sound? Sorry if that's too vague, but when I think about rock bands that I get into emulating, it's stuff like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, RATM, the harder Foo Fighters stuff, etc. I won't say that money is no object, but I'd rather pay the price for that sound then skimp and save and wonder if . . .

I've also been told that not all HBs fit in a PRS, so if that's an issue with the ZM then I appreciate the heads up. I haven't yet removed the Tone Riders to measure the cavities.

Thanks for your help.

PRS 57/08 or 59/09 would be two ideal options if you want to stay inside the box. 57/08s are divine. 59/09 also with a bit more hair.

If not, I second the BKP Mules. Excellent pickups that split wonderfully with a resistor tap.

[EDIT: And if you want a left field gold medal recommendation, check out the offerings from James Tyler with "g-spacing", particularly the Hot Retro. OMG.]

Last edited:
My ZM has covered Bare Knuckle Mules. It gives me all the sounds that I need. If your on a budget, you can’t go wrong with SD Hot Rodded set.

Another vote for Seymour Duncan hot rodded set (Jazz neck, JB bridge) or you can go with the Duncan '59 in the bridge. I have Duncans in several guitars, including a covered JB in the bridge position of my 594 and I'm very happy with them, plus they're not terribly expensive.

For the tone you're after SD JB/jazz would work nice for a reasonable price. 59/09 are some of my favorite humbuckers I've owned. The 85/15 is a great pickup on the more modern side

If i was going outside of the big names I can't recomend wolfetone enough. Drop Wolfe a message and tell him what sound you are after. The guy has a magic touch.

I've gravitated towards a BKP Holydiver for those types of parameters. They have some similarities with the JB minus the negative attributes many despise out of them (ie- being on the muddy side with lower tunings, yet having an annoying icy-pick quack on the top end).

They’re not for every style but I really do like the Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega set that I put into a Custom 22. They’re good in high gain situations where you’re playing big chords and want to hear the whole spectrum. Very different than anything else I’ve played.

Last edited:
I just ordered a Humbucker set from Vaughn Skow who winds pickups in Nashville, TN. He describes the set as being specifically wound for PRS guitars. I came across a vid of Brian Wampler demo-ing a set and I thought they sounded great, so I ordered a set for an SE project guitar. Here's a link to the vid:

I've been fighting with my SE Hollowbody II. So yesterday I tried to get its tone to be something like my SE Cu24 with the BK Stormy Mondays. I couldn't and it made me sad. I love the sound and the playability of that SE Cu24. I got super lucky when I put in those pickups.

For the tone you're after SD JB/jazz would work nice for a reasonable price. 59/09 are some of my favorite humbuckers I've owned. The 85/15 is a great pickup on the more modern side

If i was going outside of the big names I can't recomend wolfetone enough. Drop Wolfe a message and tell him what sound you are after. The guy has a magic touch.

I was just coming in to recommend Wolfetone, the dude is indeed a pickup magician - and reasonably priced.

Back