Humbucker not bucking hum

gball

The Vintage Bass pickup in my SE245 has suddenly started to pick up wicked mains hum. As bad as a single coil. Sounds great, has just started humming, and the bridge pickup remains as quiet as ever (It's a Tremonti).

Any ideas? Should I just pop her open and see if something came loose?

As a test can you tap on each of the coil polepieces (call it north/south) with something metal? You should get an audible pop through the amp when you touch both sets of polepieces. Don't forget to turn the amp down first!

Tried that. The slug coil is noticeably quieter than the screw coil. Not sure if this is because is has less winds, which could also account for the noise.

Nah you can't really tell much from that test apart from which coil is active (not grounded).

I've never seen inside a SE245 but I would assume the pickups didn't have a tap wire? If they did I would be thinking that wire is shorted to ground somewhere but if it doesn't, it might be a dead pickup...

Nah you can't really tell much from that test apart from which coil is active (not grounded).

I've never seen inside a SE245 but I would assume the pickups didn't have a tap wire? If they did I would be thinking that wire is shorted to ground somewhere but if it doesn't, it might be a dead pickup...

They're US-made Vintage Bass and Tremonti Treble pickups that I installed without coil splits so for the Vintage, since its a 3-conductor, both hot leads are soldered to the volume pot lead together. Grounding does not seem to be a problem. If it is something inside the pickup is there an easy (or hard) way to check?

Maybe the thing was humming from day 1 and i never noticed.

They're US-made Vintage Bass and Tremonti Treble pickups that I installed without coil splits so for the Vintage, since its a 3-conductor, both hot leads are soldered to the volume pot lead together. Grounding does not seem to be a problem. If it is something inside the pickup is there an easy (or hard) way to check?

Maybe the thing was humming from day 1 and i never noticed.
PRS pickup wiring can be funky. However, there will never be two hots. I am fairly sure that with a VB pickup, the white is hot, the red is the split wire, and black is ground. If you have soldered both the red and the white to the volume pot, de-solder the red wire (leave the white attached) and tape it off and it should work correctly.

PRS pickup wiring can be funky. However, there will never be two hots. I am fairly sure that with a VB pickup, the white is hot, the red is the split wire, and black is ground. If you have soldered both the red and the white to the volume pot, de-solder the red wire (leave the white attached) and tape it off and it should work correctly.

So it seems I am running it in coil tapped mode at the moment then? I guess I am a genius for not noticing it sooner (I installed these pickups months ago).

Will disconnect the red and let you know what happens. Thanks man

That was it JB. Working perfectly and sounds fantastic. Really lows my mind that I not only installed it wrong, but it took me months to figure it out. I wasn't playing that guitar every dY but I should have noticed it was operating as a single coil! I'm losing it.

My bad for not reading your OP better! Don't worry too much about the wiring thing, sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees! I also drove myself nuts once trying to work out 4 conductor PRS pickups, on 3 conductor the white wire is the tap but on 4 conductor it's the hot. Uhh what?

Thanks all. I guess I've installed so many other brands of pickup over the years that it never occurred to me that there would be any other way!

It's a testament to how good the Vintage Bass sounds though: It was better sounding in single-coil mode than the Korean 245 pickup it replaced. Now, as a full humbucker, it sounds ridiculous.

Back