Hullo!!! NGD: My 1st PRS, a nice SE 245 (but with uneven finish)

I wonder why the tobacco bursts are $130 cheaper. Is there anything else different on them?

The Tabacco Burst is the SE 245 Standard. In PRS's somewhat misleading SE naming scheme, "Standard" means "All-Mahogany" - and that's their less-expensive line because it lacks the maple cap of the original SE245. This should result in a slightly darker sound.

I really hate that they named their cheaper line "standard" because it was clearly introduced later as a less-expensive line, and it ends up being easy to miss - you're not the only one who I've seen be confused by that. The Les Paul guitar "template" (which the 245 is clearly based on) is a mahogany body with a maple cap, so to call something else the "standard" feels misleading.

I’m going to have to agree with OP that it’s not the best done burst. There is more than few Gibsons out there with the same problem. Given how easy it is to return to Sweetwater, I’d return it personally.

I’m going to have to agree with OP that it’s not the best done burst. There is more than few Gibsons out there with the same problem. Given how easy it is to return to Sweetwater, I’d return it personally.
If you look at the current batch at Sweetwater, they all look like this.

If you look at the current batch at Sweetwater, they all look like this.
I'm keeping it. I've gotten used to the burst. I am pretty anal about things, I build custom homes and take pride in the product my people put out, so details matter. But I love how this thing plays. It really plays fantastic and that is what really matters.

Back