Hugely disappointed

IIRC, the core 7-string we viewed was actually a PS or one-off model. The giveaway was that finish color and fretboard wood was not offered on core standard 7-strings, and must have been a PS. Core 7-strings typically have maple fretboards, or less elaborate solid/quilt finishes, not what we viewed.

Confirmed:

https://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/model/private_stock_custom_22_24_7_string

https://www.prsguitars.com/news/sto...w_mark_holcomb_dustie_waring_signature_models
Thank you very much!

Please don't flame me to hard. I don't get the Fiore thing. Isn't that a Strat? How is this revolutionary?
Yeah, it is a strat in the same sense the Silver Sky is a strat. Still seems to sell pretty well.

The Fiore has typical PRS touches - the neck carve will be unique, from what I gather, called "Fiore". The pickups are special designed, so probably different from what you might otherwise find out there. The trem looks different enough from both classic strat and PRS that it should be interesting.

PRS already makes "PRS unique" guitars like the CU24 or the 509. Why not offer something that is closer to some classic models that are well loved by the marketplace?

Please don't flame me to hard. I don't get the Fiore thing. Isn't that a Strat? How is this revolutionary?

IIRC, M. Lettieri grew up (performed primarily) in NYC. Fiore may be a nod to his grandparent's Italian heritage, since Fiore translates to 'flower' in English. La Guardia Airport was named after Fiorello La Guardia, a famous NYC mayor during the early 20th century. The truss rod cover was designed to represent a fiore, or flower by M. Lettieri's Mom.

The body design is similar to a Strat, with different appointments that distinguish the Fiore from a Strat proper. (The birds, truss rod cover, tuners (?), and pickups). There may be additional variations but according to the PRS website, the Fiore is a separate venture into the world of single-coil-style PRS guitars.

The pickups are described to have a tone that "blooms" when played. Although this may be industry speak, it sets the Fiore apart from traditional Strat guitars.

It’s an artist signature model, why would it need to be revolutionary?
If PRS made me a sig guitar it would be cool af but I don’t think it would be revolutionary especially because it would basically just be an SC594

It’s an artist signature model, why would it need to be revolutionary?
If PRS made me a sig guitar it would be cool af but I don’t think it would be revolutionary especially because it would basically just be an SC594
Mine might be a SC594SH with piezo.

Come on PRS, make it!!

Mine might be a SC594SH with piezo.

Come on PRS, make it!!

I think mine would be a Modern Eagle V with a Piezo...

I wouldn't mind a 594 Hollowbody with a Piezo but I have a Hollowbody ii and 594 Hollowbody and that may make those redundant...

Ok, won’t... what makes you think this should be revolutionary? It’s a variation of a theme, and honestly, a theme that some of us have asked for, for quite a while now. This guitar is “almost” exactly what I’ve been wanting for years. Almost at this point, only because I like the trem as-is and didn’t want a new one. But... might be even better for what I want, because they said it was “designed” to be either floating or decked, and I like a decked trem when possible. So this might be even better than what I thought I wanted! Maybe....

But nobody ever said that every new guitar PRS comes up with should be revolutionary. In fact, as the SS and many single cuts and etc,. Etc., have proved, sometimes what the market wants is an idea that’s already there, but done with PRS level quality, feel and maybe a few PRS tweaks on the design.

Edit: I just find myself wishing the body looked MORE like a PRS and less like a strat.

But nobody ever said that every new guitar PRS comes up with should be revolutionary. In fact, as the SS and many single cuts and etc,. Etc., have proved, sometimes what the market wants is an idea that’s already there, but done with PRS level quality, feel and maybe a few PRS tweaks on the design.

Edit: I just find myself wishing the body looked MORE like a PRS and less like a strat.
Which is why I'm wanting PRS's take on a Tele.

I misspoke when I said "revolutionary". And I'm not suggesting that all new models should be, or need to be. What I meant was that I personally don't get this as being "new and exciting" Don't mean to offend anyone. It's just that, to me, the PRS "take" on the Strat seems like a copy. Right down to the bent-steel saddle, 2-pt trem... to me a step back from the PRS trems

Yes, plenty of companies have used the S and T model formula to make high end instruments that their customers love. Personally, I've always preferred a partscaster supplemented by Warmoth parts that I can build exactly the way I want. YMMV

No more Pattern Regular on Custom 24?!!?!?!?!? WHY!!!???
I was going to buy a new core cu24 from the factory with a Pattern Regular profile neck............
I don't like Pattern Thin. I had Prs s2 Cu 24 with pattern regular neck profile (same profile as in the Core line I belive, judging by the measurements). And I liked this neck profile so much!!
Looks like I have to wait until a better time.
Hugely dissapointed.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell from a quick peek at the website, the only diff between the old Studio and the new one is a 58/15 replaces the original 57/08???

I misspoke when I said "revolutionary". And I'm not suggesting that all new models should be, or need to be. What I meant was that I personally don't get this as being "new and exciting" Don't mean to offend anyone. It's just that, to me, the PRS "take" on the Strat seems like a copy. Right down to the bent-steel saddle, 2-pt trem... to me a step back from the PRS trems

Yes, plenty of companies have used the S and T model formula to make high end instruments that their customers love. Personally, I've always preferred a partscaster supplemented by Warmoth parts that I can build exactly the way I want. YMMV

Personally, I got more of a Charvel vibe from the Fiore - which I know is a 'strat' like guitar but what you have with the this, is a more modern 'Super Strat' than the more classic '63/64' spec Fender style Strat with the 7.25" radius. It may not be revolutionary, new and/or exciting (at least to you) in terms of aesthetics and where you think it fits in the spectrum of ALL makes/models of guitars ever built, but its still quite a unique and new model in the PRS line up. No doubt it also has the typical PRS attention to 'every' detail - and that was intimated by the fact that the red prototype was sent back, body carved a bit more to get it 'perfect' for Mark Lettieri - after all its HIS signature guitar.

The intro video and the PRS website doesn't give me all the details I really want - like what is the Fretboard radius? What is the Nut width? how does the Fiore neck carve compare to any of the other Pattern necks?What do the two push/pull tone pots actually do - especially as it only has one humbucker which I assume (rightly or wrongly) that it can be split/tapped. Maybe the other enables ALL pickups to be active but I am only guessing. I could go on but needless to say, there is numerous ways that this guitar could be vastly different from their Silver Sky and maybe more appealing to some - especially those that don't like the 7.25" radius and low frets of the Silver Sky and/or want something more modern.

I think the expression is 'Don't judge a book by its Cover'. There are a lot of unknowns - primarily because there is a LOT of new specific to this model - the pickups are unique to this model, the body is unique to this model, the neck carve is unique to this model and we don't know what all the electronics do either. The Radius could be PRS's standard 10", but it could still feel, play and sound very different to anything else in the PRS line-up.

I will admit that I personally have no interest in the guitar at all but as PRS only offer 1 flavour of 'Strat' type guitars, I really do not see any reason to be 'disappointed' that PRS have worked with another exceptional artist to create a very different flavour in that 'stratty' ballpark. Its not that different from creating the 408, 245, 594, McCarty etc - all different flavours of that classic 22 fret 'double humbucker' guitar. In general, the only innovation over those was the Pick-ups, experimenting with the width of the field and the pursuit of getting usable split/taps with minimal volume drop. If you look at the range of 22 fret double humbucker guitars, you have a range of different flavours with little/no innovation - the 594 (and Silver Sky) appear to be copies of guitars that launched in the 1950's - albeit with a few 'PRS' touches like the headstock and scoop on the lower horn. Of course there are other things too but both of these have been extremely popular.

The Special was originally only available for PRS Experience 2018 and only accepted orders from retailers for that year - but it proved popular enough that they were still making some into 2020 to fill those orders. The Studio may well be returning but again, its not been available with these pickups - reworked Narrowfield where before it was basically exactly the same as a 57/08 but in a narrower form and of course, the 58/15 LT's are extremely popular too. These guitars also were not made with the TCI process or the CAB finish so whilst they may not be 'new' in terms of the visual look, they are different from their predecessors and I think its great that many more people can now get a Special - a very special instrument.

I can understand maybe being a bit disappointed by just a new Limited Edition colour option on the Silver Sky - unless of course you are a scalper and hoping to turn a quick profit. Last year, the Nebula seemed very 'exciting' but at least they also brought out 4 new colours and the all maple neck version too. The Zach Myers may not be too exciting - seems very little has changed apart from aesthetics too but both are great guitars and some may well like these aesthetic changes a lot more than the options they had before. They are still 'great' guitars. The same can be said for the SE Custom 24 changes too - the carve and the colour options - and of course, the 35th Anniversary Cu24-08 (both SE and Core) is going to remain available rather than disappear. Personally, I am a little disappointed by this with regards to the Core as I prefer the previous Cu24-08 layout with the Blade switch as its easier for me to access when playing - I am not such a fan of having the switch that far back on the body - but it keeps consistency with the SE version and other models (both Pauls and Cu24-08 have the same layout on both SE and Core versions). I cannot get excited about a Bass guitar either - but I am not a bass player - I will admit though, its a nice looking bass...

I can honestly say that not one of the 'new' announcements are likely to be purchased this year by me. I already have a Ltd Edition Special semi-hollow and none of the other models fill a gap in my collection that I feel I want/need. I don't even need the Clip on tuner as I have the clip on TC Electronics Polytune but its cool that its USB rechargeable and I do like the fact the 12th fret Eagle lights up to indicate you are in tune - but I don't really need it. Its not a big disappointment to me though as I am OK with PRS not bringing out something that I feel I really want/need in my collection and that my collection is more than adequate to suit my needs. Considering the current Global situation right now, I am almost relieved that I don't feel like I must have something to fill a hole in my collection I didn't realise I needed but that would be very different IF I didn't already have my Special - I know I would have serious GAS for one of those otherwise. I also know that we have Summer NAMM coming up later in the year and it would surprise me if PRS didn't have more announcements throughout the year too - Covid affected both the Experience and Summer NAMM but they still did an Experience MEv and added the SE Hollowbody Piezo to go with the other SE Hollowbodies they released earlier - as well as SE Starla & Mira. Apart from the 35th anniversary model, I don't think they added any 'new' models to the Core or CE line - a revised Dusty Waring. Most new models were SE or S2 (McCarty models) and of course a few PS models like the Dragon and 1985 but so limited and expensive, out of reach for the vast majority.

Overall, I think the line up adds more variety to the line up despite the loss of the Custom 22 - the Special is basically a Semi-hollow Custom 22-08 with a Narrowfield to offer even more tonal variety and there are other 22fret models in the line up. The Bolt-on line is expanded by the addition of the Fiore and both the SE and S2 line are as strong as they were before as the world is still struggling with the pandemic - not just manufacturing, but financially too...

As far as I can tell from a quick peek at the website, the only diff between the old Studio and the new one is a 58/15 replaces the original 57/08???

The Narrowfield is different too - its been 'tweaked' - the last Studio had a Narrowfield 57/08 - basically a 57/08 with the same wire, magnets and windings but in narrower form. The last Studio also didn't have the CAB 'Nitro' finish or the TCI process applied so its not 'just' a different Humbucker in the bridge.

Its a similar story with the Core Special vs the Ltd Edition Special - its not just the switch from 58/15 MT (Multi-tap) to the lower output, fewer winds of the 58/15 LT (Low Turn) pickups - but also the switch from a 57/08 Narrowfield to the new 'Narrowfield' pickup - and the CAB/TCI too of course.

I know they look the same but you could say that whenever a guitar company creates a new pickup and puts those in a familiar model. Neither of these were available to order last year or the year before either. The Special was obviously in demand in 2018 - so much so that PRS were making them into 2020 to fulfil orders but both of these are 'new' to the line-up - even if a version had been available before.

What you have to remember is that PRS do not sell direct to the customer and the catalogue is really for retailers to order stock to sell to the customer. If you want a specific Core model, you have to go to a retailer to order if they themselves don't have one and cannot source one from their PRS Rep. All of these guitars are literally for retailers to order stock, the only guitars (and colours) that they can currently order and lets not forget, PRS have a LOT of back orders too to catch up on as well.

I am sure that if people were 'desperate' for a Custom 22 for example, you could source one - and if you are 'disappointed' about PRS dropping Pattern Regular from the Custom 24 line-up, my advice is to get online and find one sooner rather than later. Its not as if all the unsold ones will have to be sent back to PRS to be converted to Pattern Thin...

I was not at all surprised by the lack of 'wow' type announcements, but my expectations were low, meaning I was awfully excited to hear that they relaunched the Special 22 Semi-Hollow, a guitar that I was considering buying last year. This is a fantastic guitar and just up my alley. Also very happy they brought back the core Studio. It's an amazing guitar and wish I kept mine.

I'm taking a break as i bought 3 new guitars last year, but that Special 22 has my wallet shaking.....

I will say I'm a bit disappointed in their lack of variety of finishes. From what I can tell, they brought in a few 'new' finishes, Eriza Verde (puke), Purple Iris (meh), and Cobalt blue (WOW). The cobalt blue is GORGEOUS.

Still, I could use some more variations on the fire burst, maybe a brighter/different shade of red. and why do we need charcoal AND charcoal contour?

I will say I'm a bit disappointed in their lack of variety of finishes. From what I can tell, they brought in a few 'new' finishes, Eriza Verde (puke), Purple Iris (meh), and Cobalt blue (WOW). The cobalt blue is GORGEOUS.
Well, see there you go, I love Eriza Verde (I will admit I found it too gaudy at first) and that Purple Iris intrigues me (wish I could see a full guitar example), though it might just be a faded/more charcoal version of the Purple Hazel they had a while back.

The Cobalt Blue actually looks like a slightly faded River Blue, to me, so it doesn't wow me.
Still, I could use some more variations on the fire burst, maybe a brighter/different shade of red. and why do we need charcoal AND charcoal contour?
The plethora of Charcoal-like finishes is amusing, IMHO. I prefer stronger, more vibrant colors most of the time, like the Aquamarine (got a 594 SH in that finish, looks awesome). I do want more reds too.

I liked the acoustic segment best, really liked that guy singing with the beard, not religious though so would have preferred if he had stayed in the bar and learned to drink responsibly rather than go drive chevys and sit in pews etc :D

I dunno...drinking irresponsibly in a church pew would have been pretty entertaining. :D

Last edited:
I was unimpressed with the new color offerings, but I'd take one of each over the lunar ice. I didn't like it in the 90s when it was on cars and dislike it even more now. Color transition is cool but the colors it shifts to aren't anything I'd be interested in. I remember reading an article in one of the major car rags that is was to reduce solar heat. I didn't 100% buy into it but even when it had a supposed practical application living in Texas I still didn't like it. There's a reason it never caught on for cars or guitars...

Yes, PRS isn't the only one to try this finish.

Back