Hugely disappointed

I liked the show. Got some new people to check out.

I was interested in the Lunar Ice Silver Sky. Seems to have sold out again in the blink of an eye, just like the Nebula. Difference this year is I'm not getting irritated about it - so be it. It's not like there aren't other cool guitars. Maybe I'm just in a mood today, or this week, or whatever - I'm really not into the idea of a frantic dash to get a limited edition anything right now. Maybe I'll go back to my original idea of getting a Dodgem Blue and floating the trem, most likely.

The Fiore looks cool, and I liked how the Zack Myers sounded. I'll probably check them out later this year. I need to hear more from the Fiore - need to hear the gain sounds.

The Archon thing is disappointing. I mean, I've got mine, so I'm good, but I always figured if I started playing out some day, I'd grab another one for that. Maybe the MT-100 is indeed coming, and maybe it ends up being a US model - we'll see.

All in all, as much as I enjoyed it, right now I don't see my money going anywhere. If that's the case, it just keeps me closer another vault trip.

I was busy and missed the show, when I looked this morning it was first with disappointment, then relief - nothing new I want, so my wallet is safe for the time being.

I just noticed they cut a couple acoustics as well.

Another quick note about some “disappointment” in the Lineup

I’d love to see PRS warm up to roasted maple. I’ve only seen a few Private Stocks, and some WL runs, but it would be great to see that expand into the lineup. Im not just talking the super figured maple, even plain roasted maple just looks so much nicer, and feels better than it’s counterpart.. And here’s the thing, you can’t even argue it’s availability...it’s the same exact maple, thrown in an oven before it arrives.
Currently, the two guitars I have with roasted maple ran me less than $400... and those necks feel and play amazing!
Let’s hope this is something they see worth the time and effort to expand into their lineup, from SE and up into S2/Core

I thought PRS did a nice job on a difficult task. There were no guitars that I really want but I'm not usually an early adopter anyway. Unless they release a 594 Trem with Filtertrons. Then I'd be first in line. I have a feeling I'm safe on that one. The Silver Sky looked cool but there is no way I'd pay the premium for the finish.

Now we get to look forward to the Experience models.

I can certainly vouch for the Narrowfield middle pickup - it's the best middle pickup I've ever used on any guitar, ever. It's a beautiful sounding pickup, especially so in combination with humbuckers.

100% agree with this. Even on the more humble NF3, that middle pickups sounds GREAT!

Well, my wallet stays in my pocket for this year. Only 12 more months to wait for new models.
They did indicate that more model announcements are forthcoming in the next few months, so hold on to your wallet...

(In the past I have observed initial announcements that generate some frenetic activity (and presumably orders), and then subsequently additional announcements that kind of exceed the initial burst because they are truly interesting and different models. That would tend to maximize public response and sales, IMHO.)

Personally, I expect some announcements about new (or re-configured) S2 models in the coming months. And maybe one or two Core gems...

WHAT!!!!!!!!!! The Archon is gone????? I'm too busy to look. I get little breaks and post while loading docs, waiting on credit reports, etc... but that is interesting news, and not in a good way...
Ah, PPP-mania. Totally get ya, bro. Working on some of that right now...

In retrospect, if I knew that there was a neck carve option back in the day and I knew enough to make an informed choice, I would have gone with anything but the WT. But I’m mostly carve-agnostic (I have my preferences, that’s all) and will love my CU24 forever.

I hope the line up changes work for PRS. When you make near perfection, the smart approach is to dress it up a little differently and stay the course.

Wonder if PRSh has recovered from his brains blowing out his ears when Lettieri demanded a 2 bolt bridge?

They did indicate that more model announcements are forthcoming in the next few months, so hold on to your wallet...

(In the past I have observed initial announcements that generate some frenetic activity (and presumably orders), and then subsequently additional announcements that kind of exceed the initial burst because they are truly interesting and different models. That would tend to maximize public response and sales, IMHO.)

Personally, I expect some announcements about new (or re-configured) S2 models in the coming months. And maybe one or two Core gems...
Thanks for the pep talk — I needed it. I find it hard to believe that the S2 line would be neglected. But after all the 594 models introduced last year, I guess it’s to be expected. At least the S2 Cu24 doesn’t have the WT carve.

The Fiore almost had me, but I find the bridge to be a real turn-off. Maybe trying it in person will change my pre-conceived notions. Or maybe John Mann will make a better replacement bridge.

Fingers-crossed for a 25” S2 with either Soapbars or NFs.

Notice during the John Mayer segment that his PRS J-MOD 100 Amp and Cabinet was no where to be seen. You'd think if he was talking to PRS himself, that amp would be front and center?
Everyone knows the huge deal it was when it was launched and everyone was 'amp spotting' during his live concerts too...except for one little thing: It was priced insanely high. Wonder how many PRS actually sold? We'll never know, will we? But Mayer doesn't show the professional courtesy of playing thru, during a worldwide webcast, the custom amp/cabinet combo that PRS built for him...Wow...

Last edited:
It was priced insanely high. Wonder how many PRS actually sold?

Turns out it's still available from PRS, so that's great.

It is an expensive amp, to be sure. But it's intended to be something a player makes a living with. One person's 'insanely high' price is another person's good investment.

When the gear is a big part of what you do professionally, you tend to take the long view about what to invest in. Whether an amp, or a microphone, or a preamp costs $2500 or $6000 isn't crucial in the long run - if you're using a piece of gear for a long time, and it helps attract the work, the price difference is less significant.

I've had my two PRS hand-wired amps (HXDA and DG30) for 6 years, going on 7. They're the longest-serving amps in the history of my studio, by far, and they were great investments in my work. I just used them on a nice project for a car manufacturer, and I've used them on tons of other projects, so it's not like they have a short shelf life.

If they'd been ten grand instead of what I paid for them, the price would have still been worth it!

(PS, don't tell PRS that, it's a secret.) ;)

John Mayer uses lots of different types of gear on his projects, and I'd bet PRS couldn't care less whether an amp was in the video. The important thing was that the famous endorser was on the show talking about the guitars and his relationship to the company.

You might think that ad clients wouldn't even hear the differences between amps, but you'd be surprised. They'll call and say things like, "I like the track, but I'm bumping on the sound of that amp." I get great comments with the PRS amps. It certainly amazed me that those kinds of details really matter, and in fact it's why my tone became much more important to me when I first got into the business.

Last edited:
Turns out it's still available from PRS, so that's great.

It is an expensive amp, to be sure. But it's intended to be something a player makes a living with. One person's 'insanely high' price is another person's good investment.

When the gear is a big part of what you do professionally, you tend to take the long view about what to invest in. Whether an amp, or a microphone, or a preamp costs $2500 or $6000 isn't crucial in the long run - if you're using a piece of gear for a long time, and it helps with attracting the work, the price difference is less significant.

I've had my two PRS hand-wired amps (HXDA and DG30) for 6 years, going on 7. They're the longest-serving amps in the history of my studio, by far, and they were great investments in my work. I just used them on a nice project for a car manufacturer, and I've used them on tons of other projects, so it's not like they have a short shelf life.

If they'd been ten grand instead of what I paid for them, the price would have still been worth it!

(PS, don't tell PRS that, it's a secret.) ;)

Les, I see them on the web page, but the catalog is a big zero. Early yesterday they were not on the web page either. If you are interested you may want to reach out in case they are fading away. FWIW.

Les, I see them on the web page, but the catalog is a big zero. Early yesterday they were not on the web page either. If you are interested you may want to reach out in case they are fading away. FWIW.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Did anyone else see what appeared to be a core 7 string? I believe I saw a quick picture during one of the "ad like" commercials in between stages? Is that an old model I didn't know of? Or did I totally gak?

IIRC, the core 7-string we viewed was actually a PS or one-off model. The giveaway was that finish color and fretboard wood was not offered on core standard 7-strings, and must have been a PS. Core 7-strings typically have maple fretboards, or less elaborate solid/quilt finishes, not what we viewed.

Confirmed:

https://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/model/private_stock_custom_22_24_7_string

https://www.prsguitars.com/news/sto...w_mark_holcomb_dustie_waring_signature_models

Please don't flame me to hard. I don't get the Fiore thing. Isn't that a Strat? How is this revolutionary?

Back