Howard leese private stock. Nitro question

darkmavis

hi all, as we know i have one of these prized beauties! I was wondering if anyone knows if the nitro used is the type that will check upon temperature changes.

thanks all :)

I have yet to see checking on a PRS guitar , I would contact PTC with this kind of question

Winter rules apply, let the case warm up for a few days to reduce checking and humidify?

I've had my Leese Golden Eagle for 6 years now and it hasn't checked, but then I live in the very mild climate of Sydney, Australia. My '74 SG, which I've owned for 34 years shows absolutely zilch signs of checking.

I have treated my Collection V like I stole it, exposing it to differing temperatures etc without letting it warm up in the case or anything like that. Zero checking.

I'd say it's highly unlikely it'll check. PRS nitro feels slightly soft and flexible rather than hard and brittle.

I have treated my Collection V like I stole it, exposing it to differing temperatures etc without letting it warm up in the case or anything like that. Zero checking.

I'd say it's highly unlikely it'll check. PRS nitro feels slightly soft and flexible rather than hard and brittle.

With all due respect, I feel duty bound to stop the spread of misinformation. The proof is in the pudding below. This recent vintage nitro coated PS got shipped in a cold February in the USA. I am not saying any nitro coated PRS will check with temperature changes, but that it absolutely could and caution is warranted.

Last edited:
I've seen a few nitro PRSes with checked finishes. Even PRS' shatter-hard nitro will check under the right conditions.

Good to know! I wish mine would crack like that, it'd be very cool....

Is that not a deal breaker on that finish for anybody else? I don't believe id ever buy a nitro finish because of this.

Is that not a deal breaker on that finish for anybody else? I don't believe id ever buy a nitro finish because of this.

At one time susceptibility to checking, and the tendency of some nitro finishes to get sticky, made a nitro finish on a new one a deal breaker for me (I've had a '65 SG Special since new that is quite checked in spots).

But over the past few years I've bought a few PRSes finished in nitro, and to my complete surprise, I prefer the way they sound. I even prefer the look and feel slightly.

PRS nitro finishes don't feel sticky. I'm willing to put up with the possibility of checking, because I simply LOVE the way they sound.

At one time susceptibility to checking, and the tendency of some nitro finishes to get sticky, made a nitro finish on a new one a deal breaker for me (I've had a '65 SG Special since new that is quite checked in spots).

But over the past few years I've bought a few PRSes finished in nitro, and to my complete surprise, I prefer the way they sound. I even prefer the look and feel slightly.

PRS nitro finishes don't feel sticky. I'm willing to put up with the possibility of checking, because I simply LOVE the way they sound.

Agree. Nitro makes a big difference, and when they crack, they sound even better.

I only order nitro finishes, as I have said, the guitar I pictured was shipped at a bad time of the year. As long as the guitar is not exposed to extreme temperatures/temperature changes, it should be ok.

This sounds bad, but I'm considering sending it to a luithier to check it. I know the resale value will plummet but I've no intention of selling her. Ever

Back