How would you take your 53/10 pickups, and in what?

Which setup in its relatively stock form is most desirable to you? (Or "other" that I'm missing?)

• Total voters
And oh yeah, I have them in these:

prs02.png

prs10.png

prs13.png

I prefer 53/10's uncovered. Other wise they are too dark (for my tastes). They sound great in my SAS and really shine when split.

i-JqjNPCT.jpg
I'd bet they shine in that one! So sweet!

Hans, I have to say though that I'm surprised that you found the tones of the 53/10s to be dark at times, even the covered versions. As I'm sure you know, the intent of their design was to emulate the brighter P-90 sounds of the early 50s in a humbucker format, and IMO they really nailed it. I've owned several guitars with them, and all shared a pleasingly defined and articulate tonality.

So I'm curious ... in what other guitar(s) did you play them where they seemed a bit dark? Maybe something with a softer quilt top or such?

I'd bet they shine in that one! So sweet!

Thanks brother. Best way I can describe this guitar is 'high-def'.

Hans, I have to say though that I'm surprised that you found the tones of the 53/10s to be dark at times, even the covered versions.

Me too.

As I'm sure you know, the intent of their design was to emulate the brighter P-90 sounds of the early 50s in a humbucker format, and IMO they really nailed it. I've owned several guitars with them, and all shared a pleasingly defined and articulate tonality.

Your thought on the neck pickup in humbucker mode? I only use the neck pup in split mode. Otherwise it too fat/whoofy. The treble pickup in humbucker mode is wonderfully raucous but gets spanky when split. I'd put this guitar up against an Esquire all day long; especially since I put unplated brass saddles on it.

So I'm curious ... in what other guitar(s) did you play them where they seemed a bit dark? Maybe something with a softer quilt top or such?

When I bought my DC22, it arrived, as you're probably aware, with 59/09's. That's a fantastic set of pickups but I wanted something less rock oriented. I grabbed a set of covered 53/10's and popped them in. Try as I may to make them work (adjustments, strings, etc.), they were simply too dark. From there I tried a set of uncovered 57/08's that were wound 'hot' but they, to my surprise, left me wanting as well. Then I got my hands on a unique set of covered 57/08's. They hit the sweet spot.

All that said, the SAS (shown above with uncovered 53/10's) is not dark at all.

Last edited:
To be fair, I also find the neck pickup on my limited a tad on the dark side in full humbucker mode. I would possibly prefer just a hint more clarity. I do find the bridge pickup very versatile though, specially with the controls. I could probably get away with just using this pickup alone. Neck a bit too dark? Swap to the bridge and roll down the tone until you are a bit brighter and clearer than the neck and there you are. Responds great to the volume and tone controls.

Beautiful guitar! I have a set of 53/10 pickups in a 2012 PRS Experience P22 guitar. I was not initially all that fond of them. I was really tossing around the idea of changing them to 57/08 pickups. I was almost there and then I decided to revisit the setup on the guitar. The neck pickup was very dark on it. I noticed that the neck pickup was pretty far away from the strings so I decided to just go over the whole guitar, which I thought I had done years ago. Once I got the pickups adjusted in the area of where I set them as a starting point they sounded much better. I spent some time playing it and tweaking them small amounts until I got them where they sound tons better now. I am no longer considering swapping them.

Didn't really love the 53/10's in the P22 and stoptail P24 I played.....much preferred the 57/08.

When I got my JA-15, I was expecting to drop a set of 57/08's in it, but the 53/10's are absolutely amazing in that guitar!

I Prefer My Pickups Covered And For Them Not To Be 53/10's

And another video. This one has just appeared today and shows the 53/10s with some more modern high gain. I believe the 53/10s were used for the whole video, not just the into track

Last edited:
I really like 5310 pickups but I have found that they don't sound good in all guitars.

5909s seem to sound great no matter what guitar I've put them in but that's just not true with 5310s.

I have a set in a hog ce22 and they sound incredible.

Got a set in a ce24 and not as good. Even tried a covered 5310 in my McCarty and it sounded good but not incredible.

Strange

Back