How would a DigiTech Drop fair against a real drop B & a real baritone guitar?

littlebadboy

No PRSi's in this... sorry... I didn't want to string my Darth Paul with thicker drop B strings, so I ised my beater instead... but thought that the pedal may be for you to consider in your arsenal!

This is a comparison between the Digitech Drop transposed guitar sound to drop B versus a real drop B guitar and a real baritone Ibanez RGIB6 guitar.

How would the Digitech Drop fair?

You may jump back and forth to the following for your perusal:
0:21 Original track in standard tuning (drop D is my standard) on a Yamaha eg112c2 guitar
1:47 Digitech Drop engaged to transpose tune to drop B on same Yamaha eg112c2 guitar
3:17 Tuned to drop B with thicker strings on same Yamaha eg112c2 guitar
4:47 Real baritone Ibanez RGIB6 guitar

Description from the DigiTech website:
The DigiTech® Drop is a dedicated polyphonic drop tune pedal that allows you to drop your tuning from one semitone all the way down to a full octave. Get down-tuned chunk without having to change guitars! The Drop also features a momentary/latching switch. With the switch set to momentary, you can turn the Drop into a true performance pedal. Fast trills and roller-coaster pitch dips are at the tip of your toes.

Effects:
Headrush Gigboard

Guitars used:
Yamaha eg112c2, nickname - "Gemini"
Modified with a GM Railbucker bridge and a Fleor single coil sized rail humbucker neck with no tone circuit.

Ibanez RGIB6
Modified with
Seymour Duncan TB-6 Duncan Distortion Trembucker Pickup bridge
Seymour Duncan SH-10n Full Shred Neck Humbucker
No tone circuit

Dragon's Heart Guitar Picks "Pure"

Last edited:
LBB,

It's an interesting comparison for those who wish to achieve the drop tuning effect. Although I'm not sure, doesn't the HR Gigboard have an octaver included in it's effect arsenal? Granted, it would be an even octave drop or increase.

The Digitech, however, is a useful tool for accomplished the drop tuning effect you seek without changing any HR parameters. I've yet to add outboard effects to the HR's FX loop myself, and am somewhat reluctant to do so because that means investing in pedals again...the HR was supposed to solve all that...oh, well, there are just some things the HR won't do that pedals will, and perhaps that's an acceptable reason for the FX loop...

Thanks for posting. Based on this comparison, i think i real bariton guitar sounds the best - you can hear the thickness of the strings :).

Thanks for posting. Based on this comparison, i think i real bariton guitar sounds the best - you can hear the thickness of the strings :).

Thanks for your time!

In my opinion, the baritone is better for recording those low tunes while the Drop pedal is good for live gigs so you don't have to bring along an extra guitar that is drop tuned.

The question is... is the 25.5" guitar passable for low tunes using thicker strings.

The thick strings sounded pretty good, but that was only because you used the Tom Morello technique of keeping unclipped ends for maximum resonance and agitation of others’ OCD.

Also, you need a logo on your guitar to
match the Cobra Commander faceplate.

The thick strings sounded pretty good, but that was only because you used the Tom Morello technique of keeping unclipped ends for maximum resonance and agitation of others’ OCD.

Also, you need a logo on your guitar to
match the Cobra Commander faceplate.

Haha! I left them unclipped so I can reinstall easily later on!

Go Cobra Kai! Oh... wrong movie...

Back