How to safely clean black stains off white silver sky

Rhug

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how to clean black (ink?) stains from white silver sky? Tried prs guitar cleaner, but no joy unfortunately!

Cheers.

First, I'd suggest that you find out exactly what the finish is. If it's poly, you might try some denatured alcohol......but not if it's nitro! You might call PRS customer service with the serial number and then ask for their suggestion.

Best of luck with it, Jim

Try Maguires scratch remover. Put a dab on the spot and rub it with a soft cloth until the stain is gone. I'd need to see pics of the stain but most likely it is on the outer layers of the finish which means you only need to remove a TINY layer or two to get through the stain. It won't hurt your finish if it's lacquer or poly. I use it all the time to remove stains and scratches. As cautioned, alcohol will ruin a lacquer finish.

Last edited:
removing ink is a SLOW process , my white flying V ended up with purple fingerprints from whiteboard markers, if you still have the ink try a few solvents on another surface , I got most of it off with rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, rubbing compound then buff and polish.

If you're going to use alcohol on lacquer, you need to check the MSDS to find out what other ingredient it might contain. If there is any methyl isobutyl ketone mixed in with it, you're gonna be cussing and crying at the same time as your finish is completely ruined and the dollar signs float away from the instrument because it'll need a refinish.

Back