how to properly Satinize my S2 Mccarty 594 thinline?

nickname009

Hello to all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Got my hands on a sweet sweet S2 Mccarty 594 thinline in frost blue metallic. I love nearly everything about it except for the glossy neck (and I sometimes wish it was a 24 fret neck). I usually do a 0000 grade steel wool rub over the back of the neck for a couple of minutes on most finishes and I'm able to get that smooth satin neck feel. It does come back after some use which I don't mind. But for some reason, with this finish, and I don't know what it is, I went at the neck for maybe over 30 minutes and the finish didn't change at all whatsoever.

This is the frost blue metallic finish, I don't know if it makes a difference, but the steel wool didn't take. I've since tried some micro mesh, which doesn't seem to work much either. I finally decided to risk it and try some 300-350 grit sandpaper and started to finally see SOME results, the finish started to get smoother but overall was still sticky.

If anybody has any tips/ideas to help move this along without needing to sand off the finish completely it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I haven't done this myself so can't offer a recommendation, but will point out that if it's a 2020 or newer model, it has the Nitro/CAB finish which might require something more aggressive to achieve a smooth satin (or possibly removed entirely?)

What year is yours? I did steel wool to my 2021 model (it had a black neck? and it was smooth enough for me. And you’re right it could be easily glossed back up my cleaning it or applying guitar wax. Use a matte friendly spray on the neck to keep it smooth for longer.

thank you everybody! my s2 594 Thinline is a 2021, so most likely a CAB finish as stated earlier.

I'll give it another go with 350 or slightly more aggressive sandpaper, and if no go, I'll go the wax route.

Also I’m not sure if the entire s2 line was nitro in 2021. I think with the pandemic the changeover got delayed. I think they started putting nitro tags to differentiate the nitro introduction

Back