How to make a PRS leather strap even shorter?

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
So, in honor of my first 'true core', I picked up a nice leather PRS birds strap. I've only ever had 'seatbelt' straps before...

But I'm 5'7" and even using this method of going up the ladder before back down, it's still too long.

Do I have to use the middle hole on skinny part and have a long tail? (And then do I cut the tail off?)
Or do I need to go to a shoe repair and have a nice hole punched?

I think I figured something out, and am posting for other 'fun-size' folks like me.

The trick was to skip a notch in the ladder to get everything to line up.

M7FYGrh.jpg

gHtGGRG.jpg

Glad you got it working. It's a great looking strap!

Glad you got it working. It's a great looking strap!
Thanks. It's just about the right length, maybe a hair too long - but I'm worried the leather will stretch and I'll need to find another solution.

Also, I'm trying to lose those last few pounds in the middle, so that might impact things...

Thanks. It's just about the right length, maybe a hair too long - but I'm worried the leather will stretch and I'll need to find another solution.

Also, I'm trying to lose those last few pounds in the middle, so that might impact things...
Maybe you can wrap two loops in the slots. If so you can get more length taken up in the slots.

Maybe you can wrap two loops in the slots. If so you can get more length taken up in the slots.
Not sure how I'd do that - the slots are pretty tight. Are you envisioning wrapping it around itself like a snailshell or a cinnamon roll?

I think I figured something out, and am posting for other 'fun-size' folks like me.

The trick was to skip a notch in the ladder to get everything to line up.

M7FYGrh.jpg

gHtGGRG.jpg

I did something similar to get mine aligned how I wanted it. Took a little experimentation with the weave.

Not sure how I'd do that - the slots are pretty tight. Are you envisioning wrapping it around itself like a snailshell or a cinnamon roll?
No, instead of going through that last (bottom) slot in the photo, if you went up to say the middle pair of slots and went in the lower one again and out of the upper one, and then turned back down and went through the bottom slot you would be a few inches shorter. It may be hard to get in there since leather is pretty thick, but it would be shorter that way.

Or just grow a few inches already. Geez! :mad: (Said the towering 5' 9" giant!).

I've been trying to get the straps longer, but hanging low isn't much of an option when your gut flips the guitar forward (or hides it all together).

So, in honor of my first 'true core', I picked up a nice leather PRS birds strap. I've only ever had 'seatbelt' straps before...

But I'm 5'7" and even using this method of going up the ladder before back down, it's still too long.

Do I have to use the middle hole on skinny part and have a long tail? (And then do I cut the tail off?)
Or do I need to go to a shoe repair and have a nice hole punched?

Richter (German company) makes a very high quality strap called the Springbreak that has an end designed and pre-stitched to be cut to length. I have no idea if it’d work for you (I’m above-average height) but it might be worth checking out.

I ordered a couple because they have dense memory foam pads, which makes them very comfortable, and the leather is excellent. They also were willing to put a one inch buttonhole on the strap for me, so it fits the PRS stock strap button.

I also have a strap from the UK company Heistercamp. They will do lots of custom stuff, and have tons of choices. If you use the stock PRS buttons, however, their thick pull-up leather strap is too thick. Their Supersoft leather will fit, I’m told (I use my thicker one on a bass with a standard button, not on my PRSes).

I must admit that in the times I've bought leather straps with the "Ladder" style, it takes me an hour to figure out how to weave it correctly. I'm pitiful....;-) I geeked out when I got my PRS and bought one of those croc and black leather with the eagle medallion straps, it's still on the guitar and even though it was simple as could be, I must have weaved it 5 times before I got it right...;-)

I don’t have a gut. I guess that’s lucky.

You, on the other hand, may be suffering from delusions of grandeur? ;)

May be? I don't think there's any doubt.

And it's my wife who suffers.

The other day I said something to her and she said, "You think you're smarter than me, don't you?" I said, "Nope - I know I'm smarter than you. Look at who you married."

I have done the same thing, that is an excellent and easy way to adjust it. Nice strap, BTW!

The other day I said something to her and she said, "You think you're smarter than me, don't you?" I said, "Nope - I know I'm smarter than you. Look at who you married."

May you do many nice things to ameliorate the pain of her regrettable error.

Back