How to get the value range of this PRS.

Burton L

Hey all!

New too the forum here. I have a 1993 Set Neck PRS guitar that has been in my friend family for over 20 years. My one buddy pulled it out of a studio that had a fire after the fact. He had a Luther look it over, upgraded the tuners to the Series I locking and now wants to sell it. I would like to take it to keep it in the family and it needs some work for sure.
The last time it was worked on was in 1998. The 1st string tuner seems to be broken and not grabbing the string. There are several scuff marks and the screws have some rust/oxidation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Any idea on what that year would bring? I believe its from the original factory. Does that make it more valuble?

mFv1Jxy
Simply right click to view images. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey all!

New too the forum here. I have a 1993 Set Neck PRS guitar that has been in my friend family for over 20 years. My one buddy pulled it out of a studio that had a fire after the fact. He had a Luther look it over, upgraded the tuners to the Series I locking and now wants to sell it. I would like to take it to keep it in the family and it needs some work for sure.
The last time it was worked on was in 1998. The 1st string tuner seems to be broken and not grabbing the string. There are several scuff marks and the screws have some rust/oxidation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/posting-pictures.39368/

Lochness Monster said - "Hows 'bout tree fity"?

Pics are needed to to see what it is. What hosting sites have you used?

Edit - right click on the link and open in a new window/tab. You can see the pics.

Lochness Monster said - "Hows 'bout tree fity"?

Pics are needed to to see what it is. What hosting sites have you used?

Edit - right click on the link and open in a new window/tab. You can see the pics.
Thank you! Got it!

Looking at the pics, that is a Custom 24 with birds. Not sure of the color name. 5 way rotary pickup selector, tone, and volume controls. Most likely has VB/HFS pickups.

Phase 1 locking tuners came stock on these. The reason why the high E is not locking is because the wing locking mechanism is missing/broken. You might have to hunt a bit, but you can get the replacement. John Mann typically has them.

Is the graphic painted on or just a vinyl overlay that can be removed?

What color is the back and how do the edges look?

Standard head stock damage. It happens. The finish around the volume control is normal for someone who rides the volume knob a lot.

Out of curiosity, take a good flashlight and look at the corner of the headstock that is in your pic. The long "horn" side. See if you there is a milky white impression of a "10" on it. Adjust the angles for a good shot. I think that this might be a 10 Top but you will have to check as it wasn't always very visible back then.

Just to add, rust/corrosion on screws heads and such are to be expected considering the age and what this guitar has gone through. It's obvious that this guitar has been well played and loved. It's a player and it shows.

On the back of the tuners, do they say "Made in W. Germany"?

Per forum rules, we don't discuss prices here. You can get a decent idea of price based upon eBay and Reverb closed sales. But the market fluctuates. Do you have the original case for it? The whammy bar? Truss rod cover? How are the electronics....do they work? I have a number in my head given the information currently provided.

Just to add, rust/corrosion on screws heads and such are to be expected considering the age and what this guitar has gone through. It's obvious that this guitar has been well played and loved. It's a player and it shows.

Per forum rules, we don't discuss prices here. You can get a decent idea of price based upon eBay and Reverb closed sales. But the market fluctuates. Do you have the original case for it? The whammy bar? Truss rod cover? How are the electronics....do they work? I have a number in my head given the information currently provided.
I updated the photo's link

I updated the photo's link
No case, no truss rod cover. Everything works. It says made in Germany on the tuners and I fixed the E string tuner. (I had the original locking wing). Apparently my buddy was having trouble getting the high E to lock but I got it just fine. As you can see the top plastic screws of two of the tuners are missing/broken but the original screws are still in place (not sure what those do yet). If you look closely to the finish it appears to be sort of milky (thats not glare).

I do appreciate the forum rules although with all things considered (missing this that and the other, body damage, wear etc) Its been really difficult to gauge the range. Its not in that great of shape cosmetically. I will adjust the truss and do a set up. I'm really trying to figure out whats fair to offer my buddy. Thanks so much!

That is a decal/sticker. It looks like it will come off clean.

I believe it’s mainly new guitar prices that can’t be discussed.
Old factory doesn’t add value despite people occasionally trying to convince otherwise. Maybe it’s worth a few extra bucks to some people but nothing substantial. I’d say base your price on what you see other PRS with the same features/condition.

So to have PRS refinish the guitar would be $1600 ish so unless you LOVE this guitar its not a rehab project.
That said if you are handy a bit of touchup and some polish this could be a nice player value wise 1K to 1.5K to the right buyer

Back