How To Fit Dunlop Strap Locks to S2

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Stuart Kirsh, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:44 PM.

1. Stuart Kirsh

Stuart Kirsh New Member

I recently bought an S2 Mira Semi. When I removed the stock buttons, I discovered they are held in place by screws that are 1.5 inches long-- a 1/2 inch longer than the screws that come with the Dunlops. I went to a hardware store with a large selection of screws but the head on the Dunlop screw is smaller than anything I could find. Has anyone else encountered this and if so, where did you find a 1.5 inch screw that fits inside the the Dunlop button?

2. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I just use the Dunlop supplied screws, and haven't had any problems on several guitars with them. As long as the screw is a tight fit, you should be golden.

garrett and sergiodeblanc like this.
  3. Wakester

Wakester Class Clown

Use the Dunlop screws with no worries. Or, if you are lucky, the head of the original screws will fit the Dunlop buttons, then it's easy-peasy.

4. Cbouty

Cbouty Winter Is Coming

I have always put the original screws back into my guitars after adding strap locks. I dont like the idea of toothpick filler or leaving a void to progressively get bigger from rocking. Most of the time the straplock buttons are slightly too small for the PRS screw head on SEs and S2s and perfect fit on the screws from the Core models. I took some sandpaper and sanded the outside edge of the screw on both my SEs so that the original screw would fit into the strap lock button. Takes 2 mins and is still plenty of screw head left!

5. Stuart Kirsh

Stuart Kirsh New Member

Andy474x: The screws that came with the strap locks although shorter in length, are definitely larger in diameter than the originals.
    It's a very tight fit-- in fact, I've been hesitant to try to force the Dunlop screw into the hole. I'm afraid
    it may cause the finish to flake way from around the hole.

Cbouty: I never thought of sanding the original screw. I will try that. Thanks !

Wakester: if the heads of the original screws fitted the Dunlop buttons, I wouldn't have a problem to post about ! Unfortunately, they're too large.

Cbouty likes this.
  6. Stuart Kirsh

Stuart Kirsh New Member

Cbouty: if I may ask a dumb question-- what grit sandpaper does one use to sand metal screws ???????

7. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc The pullout king.

I use the included screws, haven’t had a problem in 25 years with them in PRS. If you’re having problems with the larger diameter try rubbing the screws on some bar soap, it’ll lubricate ‘em a bit and make it easier to screw ‘em in.

garrett likes this.
  8. Cbouty

Cbouty Winter Is Coming

I used some 200 grit... just layed it flat on my work bench and rotated the screw holding by the treads... you dont have to take off much

9. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Or candle-wax (old wood-workers trick). Sergio’s probably smells better!

10. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Not sure if I'd go that far :confused::eek:o_O

sergiodeblanc and Alnus Rubra like this.
  11. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Suggested lubricant! Haha!;)

bodia likes this.
  12. Stuart Kirsh

Stuart Kirsh New Member

sergiodeblanc: I will try that.

cbouty: Thanks-- at this point, I think I'm gonna just try using the Dunlop screws, soaped, as sergiodeblanc suggested.
    Even if I did reduce the diameter of the PRS screws, the Dunlop head is much thicker, by comparison. I figure
    there must be a functional reason for that.

13. Stuart Kirsh

Stuart Kirsh New Member

sergiodeblanc: Tried the soap-- worked perfectly. Thanks.

If the guitar were heavier I might be concerned about the screws not extending the full length of the holes, but the Mira semi
    is the lightest guitar I've ever owned and should be fine. Did I mention that I'm really enjoying this guitar ?

bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.