How to DIY a Home Studio

All done, assembled in the studio nook, and I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out!

oh90Na5.jpg

Is that it?

Can we see the whole thing, or are you waiting for the new couch?

Is that it?

Can we see the whole thing, or are you waiting for the new couch?

Not quite there, but coming finishing up part one (build), then onto part two (setup).

Remaining in Part 1:
- Glass in the display cabinet (Friday)
- Final acoustic panels (on order)
- Final hallway trim and door trim (dependent on Home Depot Trip)
- Touch up some paint (last thing)
- Trim / special above doorway (in progress)

Part 2:
- Set up studio gear (ordered)
- Initial recording
- Room readings

I'll try to run down later today, and take some "current status" panoramic pics. Your post made me realize that it's been a while since I did a set of those!

Not quite there, but coming finishing up part one (build), then onto part two (setup).

Remaining in Part 1:
- Glass in the display cabinet (Friday)
- Final acoustic panels (on order)
- Final hallway trim and door trim (dependent on Home Depot Trip)
- Touch up some paint (last thing)
- Trim / special above doorway (in progress)

Part 2:
- Set up studio gear (ordered)
- Initial recording
- Room readings

I'll try to run down later today, and take some "current status" panoramic pics. Your post made me realize that it's been a while since I did a set of those!

Ahhh man.

iu

What type of glass are you using? UV? Anti glare? Plain old glass?

For a simple cabinet in the music room, I'm starting with plain old glass. I told the company what I needed it for (display case), and this is what they recommend. I don't have UV concerns, and I'm not sure if glare is a problem. I decided to just try this, then adjust as needed.

Ahhh man.

iu

Ha, I like that one! So much so that it caused me to have pity, run down to take some new pics, and 7here they are:

From the hallway. All that's left here is to finish up the crown, paint the trims, and touch up the wall paint a bit. If you really look, you can see my sharpie lines on the walls in a few places...
e8fnbP7.jpg

Next, the view walking in. I'm pretty happy with how all of this looks, though the existing sofa (8') and table (4x4) make it a bit cramped. Other than that, it's really working well! The gear should go in on the desk soon, a desk chair, and a second take on the acoustic panel above the sofa.
LC3Z046.jpg

Last, the view from the desk to the other side of the room. You can see that the door needs to be trimmed in, and a panel above it. The newly-installed door on the display cabinet needs its glass installed, and that's about it!
lXNiT29.jpg

Work on the room is slowing down a bit, as "work on the room" is being overtaken by "using the room", which I ain't that mad about. :D

For a simple cabinet in the music room, I'm starting with plain old glass. I told the company what I needed it for (display case), and this is what they recommend. I don't have UV concerns, and I'm not sure if glare is a problem. I decided to just try this, then adjust as needed.
It will look fine, but might not be entirely satisfying when you try to photo what is behind the glass. Eyes ignore reflecting much better than a camera does.

It will look fine, but might not be entirely satisfying when you try to photo what is behind the glass. Eyes ignore reflecting much better than a camera does.

Ah, ok, I hadn't considered that. Lately I've been thinking about humidification / climate control in there. Any thoughts?

Ha, I like that one! So much so that it caused me to have pity, run down to take some new pics, and here they are:

Work on the room is slowing down a bit, as "work on the room" is being overtaken by "using the room", which I ain't that mad about. :D

Looks great! The couch/desk situation is bugging me probably more than it's bugging you, but that's how my mind works!

You'll recall our early conversation (10 pages ago?) about the amount of time spent preparing a room in which to play guitar, vs. the amount of time one might spend playing the guitar.... I learned a lot. Thank you.

Since you were kind enough to post pictures, allow me to post what I've been spending my time on. I hope you enjoy it. [BTW, all this was done on the McCarty]

- I couldn't figure out how to get a decent solo recording, with video. Tons of trial and error, and installing and uninstalling freeware.
- I also ran down an idea for an "ambient" recording.
- And, then there's the nut replacement on my McCarty.

In a slightly different vein, ambient music:
https://soundcloud.com/dan_s99/andy-summers-quarantine-blues

And then there's the nut. Jeez Lousie, look at that original! I don't think that would have made it our of your, very meticulous, woodshop.

ZQu1n4am.jpg

Ah, ok, I hadn't considered that. Lately I've been thinking about humidification / climate control in there. Any thoughts?

Humidifier in the winter.
Dehumidifier in the summer.

Digital hygrometer. 45-55% relative humidity year round

I agree.
With a case that big, I would monitor it and see if by maintaining the room, I could maintain the case just by leaving the door open from time to time. For example, I opened the door of mine for a couple of hours this morning to balance with the room.
A small in case unit might be appropriate.

Just catching up...DAMMIT MAN! THAT is some fine work you've done Doug! Looks killer!!!

Looks great! The couch/desk situation is bugging me probably more than it's bugging you, but that's how my mind works!

You'll recall our early conversation (10 pages ago?) about the amount of time spent preparing a room in which to play guitar, vs. the amount of time one might spend playing the guitar.... I learned a lot. Thank you.

Since you were kind enough to post pictures, allow me to post what I've been spending my time on. I hope you enjoy it. [BTW, all this was done on the McCarty]

- I couldn't figure out how to get a decent solo recording, with video. Tons of trial and error, and installing and uninstalling freeware.
- I also ran down an idea for an "ambient" recording.
- And, then there's the nut replacement on my McCarty.

In a slightly different vein, ambient music:
https://soundcloud.com/dan_s99/andy-summers-quarantine-blues

And then there's the nut. Jeez Lousie, look at that original! I don't think that would have made it our of your, very meticulous, woodshop.

ZQu1n4am.jpg

Thanks for stopping back by to comment, and for sharing your work in the video and Soundcloud file. You play very well, and the fingerstyle was fun to watch.
The couch/desk is bothering me, but only aesthetically at this point. The gear should be showing up next week, and THAT's when it'll really start bugging me! :D

I don't know much about this stuff, only "theoretical". I have a couple of Oasis in my Martins, and definitely watch them deflate quickly during the winter. The only other thing I know about humidifiers/hygrometers comes from regularly refilling the one in my small cigar box humidor. :D
I'd like to find a monitoring / humidification solution with a small footprint that I can put in and only have to keep an eye on every couple of months. Any suggestions?

Just catching up...DAMMIT MAN! THAT is some fine work you've done Doug! Looks killer!!!
Thanks, and welcome!

I agree.
With a case that big, I would monitor it and see if by maintaining the room, I could maintain the case just by leaving the door open from time to time. For example, I opened the door of mine for a couple of hours this morning to balance with the room.
A small in case unit might be appropriate.
What are you using to monitor?

What are you using to monitor?

Accu-rite hygrometer. Unless your cabinet is airtight or the lights are giving off a lot of heat keeping the room humidity correct (for the guitars on the wall) is probably sufficient to keep the cabinet humidity correct

I have half a dozen little Oasis branded hygrometers.
Accu-rite hygrometer. Unless your cabinet is airtight or the lights are giving off a lot of heat keeping the room humidity correct (for the guitars on the wall) is probably sufficient to keep the cabinet humidity correct

Ok, I've been doing a bunch of homework, and I'm seeing that a hygrometer is only half of the equation. Knowing what the temperature and humidity only tells me if I'm good or not, how do I change "not good" to good?

Why can't I find a system that monitors AND takes action (for the case, or room, or both?)? Is that called something else, or is there no one system that does?

Ok, I've been doing a bunch of homework, and I'm seeing that a hygrometer is only half of the equation. Knowing what the temperature and humidity only tells me if I'm good or not, how do I change "not good" to good?

Why can't I find a system that monitors AND takes action (for the case, or room, or both?)? Is that called something else, or is there no one system that does?
Hit up your local cigar store. Talk with them about how they do their walk in humidors. Or, research with Google. There are large enough humidification systems that will accommodate your space.

I'm not an HVAC expert, but here's how I would think about your question.

What you're asking is, can I have a hygrometer that not only tracks RH, but turns on and off a system that adds or removes humidity from the air, much the way a thermostat triggers the A/C and the furnace. The answer to that is, of course you can. That's the sort of system Jesse at Ish Guitars has for his guitar vault.

Here are the issues. First, if you tie this into your home HVAC system then, well, you have to modify your home HVAC system, including putting a monitor in your guitar room, and the system will spend it's time trying to keep that room at a certain RH. This requires a fan-forced air system. If you have electric or hot-water baseboards, you're SOL.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-...Humidifier-For-Rooms-1001-Square-Feet/3459854

https://www.aprilaire.com/whole-house-products/dehumidifier/model-1830

If you don't want to try to adjust the RH for the entire home (which is what your HVAC system covers), then you need a separate HVAC system with a condenser/humidifier for just that room.

Here's a dual plug system. Plug a humidifier into one outlet and a dehumidifier into the other, and it automatically turns them on and off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQKXRXA?tag=duckduckgo-ffnt-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Which get me back to my first suggestion (which is what I use in my practice room). In the summer I have a dehumidifier (with a built in hygrometer) that turns on whenever the RH gets too high. In the winter I run a humidifier that it I turn on and off manually as needed. Checking my meter, over the last 24 hours the high RH in this room was 54%, the low was 49%. It's presently at 52%, and the dehumidifier just kicked on.

Last edited:
Back