How to DIY a Home Studio

Pull-ups won't help... you need more pull-ins.
Lol, our youngest is 3, and he's just about out of them. That's why there's so many stacking up: Amazon keeps delivering them b/c I forgot to cancel their delivery.

what’s with all the lego kits?
and parsec is a distance and it typically pisses me off!
We're big lego fans, the kids and i build them together. I'm hoping that makes at least one of them an Engineering major.

Maybe some non-slip rubber mats?
Yeah, I was thinking same for under the buildings and ships up on the shelves...cut up something like a Yoga mat, maybe...? (A new yoga mat ;):D)
I think both of those things could work. Then again, I *might* just want to see how loud I have to play before things start coming down... ;)
I was also thinking of the old drawer liners that I used to get from Craftsman, but with their (multiple) sales it's harder to find than I would have thought?

You better hope @Shawn@PRS doesn’t read this thread! Oops!
Lol, he's already aware, from a few pages back when I was discussing using PRS' pictures for my artwork.

So many things about that press cracked me up:
"California rock legends and global philanthropists..."
"...socially distance abiding (band members will be 6’ away from each other too)..."
"The concert will take place on Sunday, June 7th from a sanitized, undisclosed location in Los Angeles ..."

So funny. I'd actually consider buying the pedal for the free watch, but at 5:00 PM EST, I'm willing to bet there's no WAY I can have the kids watching this show... :D

We're even MORE Star Wars fans than lego, so it always impresses me when people catch that a parsec is a unit of measurement for distance, not speed. With the new Solo movie that's more common, but still - props!

i looked it up back in the day — it was written out on an ‘empire strikes back’ bubblegum card — so pleased to find it was a real word, and so bugged han was just bullshetting the farmboy with space jargon.

haven’t seen the new one but i notice childish gambino is back doing ‘unnecessary’ music. dun dun DUN.

"...socially distance abiding (band members will be 6’ away from each other too)..."
"The concert will take place on Sunday, June 7th from a sanitized, undisclosed location in Los Angeles ..."

So funny. I'd actually consider buying the pedal for the free watch, but at 5:00 PM EST, I'm willing to bet there's no WAY I can have the kids watching this show... :D
Yeah, probably not appropriate for anyone under 30!

i looked it up back in the day — it was written out on an ‘empire strikes back’ bubblegum card — so pleased to find it was a real word, and so bugged han was just bullshetting the farmboy with space jargon.

haven’t seen the new one but i notice childish gambino is back doing ‘unnecessary’ music. dun dun DUN.

Well, I won't spoil it, but they definitely explain that. Short version: He wasn't messing w/Luke.

Yeah, probably not appropriate for anyone under 30!

Ha! Under 30 is funny on so many levels.
Good news, not only can you order the pedal on their site, but you can also get a vinyl copy of their newest album. Ask me how I know...

A little bit of an update for today. Still working primarily on the new large project, which will take days. As in most woodworking projects, the only thing more important than "measure twice, cut once" is "patience".

Yesterday's pieces are all dried up, and ready for final dimensioning:
etCIJOI.jpg

And the last two pieces are glued up.
rY7pl7k.jpg

With any luck, I can get started on assembly tomorrow.

and parsec is a distance and it typically pisses me off!

I bet you love a “foot pound”?

Playing their new song “17 hand sanitisers in a row”!

I bet you love a “foot pound”?

Playing their new song “17 hand sanitisers in a row”!

A) Foot pound always made sense to me. It's a matter of how hard I have to kick the spanner to get it off...
WriI3mf.jpg

i checked and wasn’t disappointed. i bet that screenwriter waited 35 years to fix that and always shoots first.
That was my FAVORITE part of the movie. They left NO doubt that Han shot first.
As a big geek, I hate how it was up for debate. Even Lucas changed his comments on it over time. Now we KNOW for a fact!
In the theater I yelled "YES" when it happened. My wife was telling me to shush, even though she's a big SW geek too. I wouldn't stop clapping, when a dude in front of me looked back annoyed. She said "see, you're bothering other people", to which I responded "Nah, I can tell by the look on his face that he's just annoyed to be wrong after all of these years". When the credits finally came up, he turned around and said "Yup, I'm SO annoyed that made me wrong", and we started talking about all things geekdom.

This needs to be straightened out. Right here. Right now. (From the head of another "Star Wars" family.)

"So how did Han manage to make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs? As he says in Solo: 'Take a shortcut'....

According to Star Wars: The Essential Atlas and the Solo novels, the road to Kessel involved navigating a cluster of black holes known as 'the Maw'. This would typically take 18 parsecs -- to avoid falling into the Maw's gravity wells -- but with a sturdy ship like the Millennium Falcon and a daring captain like Han, a smuggler could skirt close to the edges of the Maw and cut the distance down to 12 parsecs. That's possible thanks to a trick of Einstein's general theory of relativity, as the enormous mass of black holes cause spacetime to bend so that, between any two points, a ship would follow a curved path.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvcham...ars-story-kessel-run-12-parsecs/#3c68b60b3785

This is consistent with notes made by George Lucas in 1977 on the ship's upgrades: "The modifications Han Solo made to the Millennium Falcon are rather extensive -- mostly to the navigation system to get through hyperspace in the shortest possible distance (par-secs)."

Now. Back to carpentry.

Last edited:
This needs to be straightened out. Right here. Right now. (From the head of another "Star Wars" family.)

"So how did Han manage to make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs? As he says in Solo: 'Take a shortcut'....

According to Star Wars: The Essential Atlas and the Solo novels, the road to Kessel involved navigating a cluster of black holes known as 'the Maw'. This would typically take 18 parsecs -- to avoid falling into the Maw's gravity wells -- but with a sturdy ship like the Millennium Falcon and a daring captain like Han, a smuggler could skirt close to the edges of the Maw and cut the distance down to 12 parsecs. That's possible thanks to a trick of Einstein's general theory of relativity, as the enormous mass of black holes cause spacetime to bend so that, between any two points, a ship would follow a curved path.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvcham...ars-story-kessel-run-12-parsecs/#3c68b60b3785

This is consistent with notes made by George Lucas in 1977 on the ship's upgrades: "The modifications Han Solo made to the Millennium Falcon are rather extensive -- mostly to the navigation system to get through hyperspace in the shortest possible distance (par-secs)."

Now. Back to carpentry.

Yeah, I dig it, and it cracks me up that the link is to Forbes. :D

Personally, I always thought this was a cool trivia bit, but "Han Shot First" was the big philosophical debate of our time. :D

Well, I won't spoil it, but they definitely explain that. Short version: He wasn't messing w/Luke.

Ha! Under 30 is funny on so many levels.
Good news, not only can you order the pedal on their site, but you can also get a vinyl copy of their newest album. Ask me how I know...
Nice! I almost ordered the pedal and a “Sexually Distant” t-shirt. Maybe I’ll circle back tomorrow.

Nice! I almost ordered the pedal and a “Sexually Distant” t-shirt. Maybe I’ll circle back tomorrow.

I got the digital download email, but nothing on a code for the show with the pedal. The pedal says it's a pre-order, so IDK how they plan to do it. If it works, that's cool. Otherwise I'm still down with them helping to raise funds for all the non-working roadies right now. Pretty cool, IMO.

On the carpentry note: I started a second project while waiting for the glue to dry.

First, ripping a bunch of 3" boards, and hitting them w/some spray poly. I usually do brush on, but for quicker jobs where it's more about consistent color and a little treatment/protection I dig the fact that I can get two coats on in < 30 minutes.
UMvU8G6.jpg

Next, a bunch of measuring and 4' beam level work:
7JM7VQx.jpg

First couple of boards up, checking stud placement and alternating layouts:
DXZ4Htd.jpg

Next few up pretty quickly after that:
bH7H2Go.jpg

The last 3 have to be notched to fit over those intake grates, and I *guess* 9:30 PM is too late to be running the table saw.

To be continued...

Ok, on today's lesson, we're featuring "How to carve out a major portion of a board, so it can fit over an annoying grate, without dado blades, table router, or any more appropriate tools".
(Methinks I need a production team, to come up w/shorter episode titles...) :D

Step one, set tablesaw height to the desired cutout. For me, that was 3/8". Make repeated passes over the blade, moving the board ~ 1/4" per pass:
mnkFBe1.jpg

Step two, take that board, and bust out a trusty SHARPENED chisel, and knock down the remaining fins:
o35XmLs.jpg

Step three, all cleaned up, time for install:
dfcbzSr.jpg

Back