How to DIY a Home Studio

SV seems to be morphing physically into James Taylor!
I know! It's crazy to me, to see musicians I grew up with getting old. I have NO idea how that happene??!?! ;)
Granted, he's got a bunch of years on me, but still...

A bit late to this, but I have to agree with what @Nurk2 said. Spice it up a bit with something that compliments your impressive collection of instruments instead of competing with it.

You might even consider making something yourself! Abstract art is a fun experiment. Start with a general idea of how you want it to look, and work from there!

Ugh, I am NOT the guy for this. My particular talents don't lie in that direction, as you can see in all the pics in this thread: I'm all about fine-line attention to detail and being particular. I can appreciate good art when I see it, but being that creative just isn't me. :(

BTW, today's huge progress update:

isYav2g.jpg

Two loads to the dump (in a standard 1/2 ton pickup) and the pile is down by 2/3. :D
One more and I should be caught up!!

Ugh, I am NOT the guy for this. My particular talents don't lie in that direction, as you can see in all the pics in this thread: I'm all about fine-line attention to detail and being particular. I can appreciate good art when I see it, but being that creative just isn't me. :(

“Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with dry, uninspiring books on algebra, history, etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the 'creative bug' is just a wee voice telling you, 'I'd like my crayons back, please.'

They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in Kindergarten, why fear them now?”
~ Hugh MacLeod

“Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with dry, uninspiring books on algebra, history, etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the 'creative bug' is just a wee voice telling you, 'I'd like my crayons back, please.'

They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in Kindergarten, why fear them now?”
~ Hugh MacLeod

Awesome quote, I dig it! Everyone thought I could be an artist growing up, but I never thought so. I could do some cool stuff, but it was always copying someone else's designs, not coming up with ideas from the top of my head. I crushed it when it came to sketching out the "Can you draw this pirate??", but I couldn't make one up. I really didn't WANT to though, I'd rather make a pirate ship fort, act out scenes, etc. I'm sure with enough practice, training, guidance I could have developed that talent, but it was never where the real enjoyment came from. I painted a ton of little figures back in the D&D days, and was pretty good. If you gave me a canvas, I'd just stare at it without coming up with ideas. When my parents nudged me towards taking classes to get better at coming up with ideas, I always said I PREFERRED painting the miniatures.

Here's a good example of a latest project, we painted some murals in the youngest's room:

X8rWco0.jpg

mdnkk8A.jpg

bBg1JXP.jpg

I did the design, layout, etc. I did *not* do any of the painting, my sister in law is a great painter and did them. The only thing I painted were the marker signs, which I also made. I painted them with my off hand, to make it appear to have been done by children. :D

Awesome quote, I dig it! Everyone thought I could be an artist growing up, but I never thought so. I could do some cool stuff, but it was always copying someone else's designs, not coming up with ideas from the top of my head. I crushed it when it came to sketching out the "Can you draw this pirate??", but I couldn't make one up. I really didn't WANT to though, I'd rather make a pirate ship fort, act out scenes, etc. I'm sure with enough practice, training, guidance I could have developed that talent, but it was never where the real enjoyment came from. I painted a ton of little figures back in the D&D days, and was pretty good. If you gave me a canvas, I'd just stare at it without coming up with ideas. When my parents nudged me towards taking classes to get better at coming up with ideas, I always said I PREFERRED painting the miniatures.

Here's a good example of a latest project, we painted some murals in the youngest's room:

X8rWco0.jpg

mdnkk8A.jpg

bBg1JXP.jpg

I did the design, layout, etc. I did *not* do any of the painting, my sister in law is a great painter and did them. The only thing I painted were the marker signs, which I also made. I painted them with my off hand, to make it appear to have been done by children. :D
Dude, that’s killer!

Awesome stuff!

More awesomeness showed up in the mail today!

These two packages must have weighed around 100lbs combined, with the smaller being WAY heavier than the larger:
E14YPTh.jpg

Contents of both:
cII5ma1.jpg

That's a bunch of brackets and connecting pieces for the shelving that will run around most of the room ~ 7' high. Here's a better look:
RPTm9ji.jpg

Next were two BIG beefy legs, to hold the desktop for the studio nook:
QErY52o.jpg

Still waiting on a few more parts for this order, but this is a great start!

Lookin' good! Are you going to throw a rug down for more sound damping?

A bit late to this, but I have to agree with what @Nurk2 said. Spice it up a bit with something that compliments your impressive collection of instruments instead of competing with it.

You might even consider making something yourself! Abstract art is a fun experiment. Start with a general idea of how you want it to look, and work from there!

Dude, I already covered this in a previous post. ;) :D:D

Lookin' good! Are you going to throw a rug down for more sound damping?

Yup, I have a rug in my office that I'm not 100% crazy about any more. I'm going to repurpose it down there, and see how it looks. Not only do I want to get a little more acoustic performance, but I also don't like walking around on concrete / tile constantly.

I was going to move it down there over the weekend, but there's a lot of cr@p to move off it first, and I wasn't that motivated... :D

Yup, I have a rug in my office that I'm not 100% crazy about any more. I'm going to repurpose it down there, and see how it looks. Not only do I want to get a little more acoustic performance, but I also don't like walking around on concrete / tile constantly.

I was going to move it down there over the weekend, but there's a lot of cr@p to move off it first, and I wasn't that motivated... :D

iu

Super fun work today, getting the first shelf installed. I agonized over heights, door clearance, and angles. Took 30 minutes mounting the first one, got it just right, then made a template. Each one took about 5 minutes after that, but there were 18 more... :D

Here's the end of the run:
DRKR03O.jpg

Showing in the studio nook, really gives an idea of how the wood, iron, wallpaper, and paint are starting to tie together.
QmUt0LO.jpg

A look around the whole setup. I have to rip down a bunch more wood, then fit all the pieces together.
cLlkZ7F.jpg

I'm digging the look, the first thing that pops to mind when I look at them is "whiskey barrel", and that's about perfect in my book. :D
I know it'll look a bit different after they're finished, but I'm already a huge fan of this detail.

Today was all about finishing painting on the trims inside and outside of the room, and giving it a good cleaning. I need the door to show up, and a bit of crown molding for the hallway, but other than that I'm officially calling the "construction" phase over.

Pretty happy with how it came out, now it's time to get onto some of the woodworking projects, and start setting the room up for use.

sYtP75K.jpg

3E1S4F8.jpg

Love the look! Man, I feel like I just found a secret portal to Elliot Easton's house.

So is it safe to assume all of those heavy duty shelf brackets go directly into studs???
(At least the ones that could line up...on CL 16" separation...)

Also, I picked up some foam under-carpet padding, and really save me old knees...check them out...

Last edited:
Love the look! Man, I feel like I just found a secret portal to Elliot Easton's house.

Man, I spent WAY too frickin' long Googling pictures of his house, before I finally realized it was a "lefty" reference! :D

So is it safe to assume all of those heavy duty shelf brackets go directly into studs???
(At least the ones that could line up...on CL 16" separation...)

Also, I picked up some foam under-carpet padding, and really save me old knees...check them out...

Oh yeah. Each of those brackets has to be over a pound by itself, without the weight of the shelf. Each bracket has two 2" lag bolts into a stud, I'll grab a pic next time I go down.

I have a carpet no-skid thingy under it in the office now, I'm going to start with that, then decide if I need to bring more padding. TBH, I mostly play sitting though.

I got the remaining pieces of shelving cut and placed. All that's left to do is hit it with some spray lacquer, then I can install the plates I had made which will tie the individual pieces together to make a stronger whole.

I. Frickin'. LOVE. How this looks in the room. It's really starting to bring together the "rustic AND modern" vibe I'm going for.

I lowered the edison bulbs in the nook a bit, to put them below the shelves:
bhyE7RQ.jpg

The entire room's shelves are as low as I can get them, and still have about 1" of clearance at the entry door:
EgCe0xa.jpg

The full run of shelves in place, before they come down to be sprayed:
1eHSLkU.jpg

It'll be a couple of days before I take them down to spray though, because first I'm going to complete the shelves for above the safe. Those are made of the same materials, so I can knock them out all at once.

Stand by for that update soon...

Last edited:
Man, I spent WAY to frickin' long Googling pictures of his house, before I finally realized it was a "lefty" reference! :D

Oh yeah. Each of those brackets has to be over a pound by itself, without the weight of the shelf. Each bracket has two 2" lag bolts into a stud, I'll grab a pic next time I go down.

I have a carpet no-skid thingy under it in the office now, I'm going to start with that, then decide if I need to bring more padding. TBH, I mostly play sitting though.

I got the remaining pieces of shelving cut and placed. All that's left to do is hit it with some spray lacquer, then I can install the plates I had made which will tie the individual pieces together to make a stronger whole.

I. Frickin'. LOVE. How this looks in the room. It's really starting to bring together the "rustic AND modern" vibe I'm going for.

I lowered the edison bulbs in the nook a bit, to put them below the shelves:
bhyE7RQ.jpg

The entire room's shelves are as low as I can get them, and still have about 1" of clearance at the entry door:
EgCe0xa.jpg

The full run of shelves in place, before they come down to be sprayed:
1eHSLkU.jpg

It'll be a couple of days before I take them down to spray though, because first I'm going to complete the shelves for above the safe. Those are made of the same materials, so I can knock themselves out all at once.

Stand by for that update soon...
Love the look of the brackets and the wooden shelves. Great stuff!

Doooood...Nice Job!!!!
Love the heavy duty-ness of it all!!!

And as my wife says...are you preparing for Armageddon, again???!!!
(uh, why not!!!) :D:D

How to make really big shelves from standard sized lumber:
First, join one wide face, then plane the other. Then join one narrow face, and run through a table saw for the 4th. That gives you these:
8Mk8Bpr.jpg

I laid out a bunch of pieces how I liked, then biscuit cut and doweled them to within an inch of their lives:
KUHLX7I.jpg

Next, glue up:
IXBaeyZ.jpg

That's a 24" x 58" Sapele mahogany shelf. :D

I made two, but only had enough clamps to glue up one. I'll be gluing up the second today.

Back